Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #2251
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
? Per
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Yeah. Thread of Awesome is in the Basement.
Your truck should pick up a few hp with the cold air bumper mod!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #2252
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

...hey Kevin, recognize anything?

It's not a winch bumper. It's a beer bumper!

Thanks for posting that pic Kirk, it makes me feel like I contributed to the bumper project.

BTW, we were eating breakfast at a cafe in Bar Harbor Maine last week and a guy that works there came up to us and started asking about the boxes so I showed him this thread.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #2253
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Yeah, the "cooler mod" was a total bust.

I did get winch box holes sealed up, but after 3 hours on the interstate, I'm lucky to have cool water at the end of it all.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Kevin, thanks for spreading the word!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 03:42 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #2254
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Back to the smoker project...

11 gauge (1/8") weld-on end caps sourced from an ebay vendor. 5/8" all thread welded to the cap. I intentionally oversized the O.D. by one inch for an overhang.

5/8" nut welded to a piece of 3/16" thick flat bar...

...and trimmed to fit snugly inside the top smoke stack.

It's snug enough to stay in place while I plumb everything as good as possible.

Once I'm reasonably happy with fit-up, I fully weld it.

So, there's my take on an adjustable stack. I'm hoping it works well. I will have to wait and see.

I'm going to try something similar on the smoke damper on the back of the wood stove with a steel hub cap from a '54 Oldsmobile. Will it work? I have no idea, but it's worth a shot.

I found some awesome stainless steel NOS U.S. Navy surplus thermometers on ebay. This one will be used on the smoker.

I bought this one to put on the firebox, but I'm not sure it's needed. I just want to see how quickly I can change the temp using the dampers instead of just guessing. I don't know if 750 F is even a high enough range or not. I also found this on ebay thinking it was US made, but it's made in China. Had I known that, I would have kept shopping.

I'm hoping to run some wood through it next week and do some testing. Getting there slowly but surely.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:07 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #2255
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Love this thread, it rings a bell.

I just sold a KLR and used half the proceeds to pick up a 250A TIG with a water cooled torch. After a little practice, I did my first moto project this weekend.

Next project, aluminum or chrome-moly rear racks for a DR350 and my KTM 450. I really like the idea of thin wall alloy steel for building things, but don't have much experience welding it.

The wife wants me to explore my inner artist and thinks I should buy a plasma cutter. I'm thinking of large moving metal sculptures.
Awesome!!!! It does sting a bit to sell the bike, but it ends up being worth it. I am excited for you and hope that you post to this thread with your projects. I'm very interested in artistic type projects myself but haven't made time for them.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #2256
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
? Per

Your truck should pick up a few hp with the cold air bumper mod!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #2257
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I was wondering how that would work out. Without some insulating foam between the ice/beer and the aluminum, it would turn that bumper into the biggest heatsink in history.

Bet the engine ran nice and cool though

"Cold air intake" Lame
"Frozen air intake" Awesome

Quote:
Yeah, the "cooler mod" was a total bust.

I did get winch box holes sealed up, but after 3 hours on the interstate, I'm lucky to have cool water at the end of it all.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Kevin, thanks for spreading the word!
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #2258
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
I was wondering how that would work out. Without some insulating foam between the ice/beer and the aluminum, it would turn that bumper into the biggest heatsink in history.

Bet the engine ran nice and cool though

"Cold air intake" Lame
"Frozen air intake" Awesome
Needs a flexable cooler/liner with a lid and it would be fine.

I would not want to be riding behind you though, the constantly dripping water would get annoying.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #2259
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Yeah, I'm bagging the whole idea. Had I planned on using it that way with some sort of drain valve in place, it would have made more sense. No worries. Now I know.

I do the smoke damper on the stove the same as the cap on the top stack...

3/16" flat bar, 5/8" nut.

5/8" all thread welded to the hub cap.

I completely lucked out on how the hubcap flange meets the flange on the stove.

I ended up fubaring the Olds logo, but I didn't really care about that in the first place. I just thought the shape might work from studying the seller's pics on ebay. I have since peeled the chrome outer trim completely off the inner hubcap. It's getting painted high heat black anyway, so not a big deal.

Dampers all sorted, so I turn my attention to the doors. I bend a piece of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar by hand to match the tank radius. Once satisfied with the shape, I weld it in place. This seals up the gap between the doors.

I will still trim the outside edges of each door. After that, plugging the existing threaded holes, and installing the thermometer(s), it will be time for another test burn or two. Maybe next week if all goes well...
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #2260
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,469
Slick mods, bro.

Does the stack damper seal closed relatively well?
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #2261
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks! Yeah, I think it does. I will know more by the end of the week when I'm rolling smoke.

I've been on night shift this week, so I try to get in the garage for an hour or so each day before heading back in.

Threaded holes plugged, and I start trimming out the outside door edges.

I use 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar. It's heavier than needed, but it's what I have access to. I slit a piece down the middle with a 4.5" cutting wheel for the center trim. She's really shaping up.

I'm planning on a couple nice, hot burns this week so I can wire brush all of the vitreous glass (just learned that last night) out of the interior of the smoke chamber before cooking with it.

I've also been thinking about a simple spring assist for each door. End shelves, inner diffusers, paint, and thermometer install, and then I need to learn how to smoke. I've been doing a lot of online reading on BBQ forums, and the smoker thread here on ADV. I also found a local guy that I need to call for a cord of hickory.

It will be a fun new hobby I'm sure!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #2262
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
If the spring bit doesn't work out you could weld a balance arm/bar on the back of each door so they balance neutrally when oppened.

Maybe if you position it right the arms could come down and rest ontop of the smoke box and hold the door open for spatuling food in/out.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2263
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If the spring bit doesn't work out you could weld a balance arm/bar on the back of each door so they balance neutrally when oppened.

Maybe if you position it right the arms could come down and rest ontop of the smoke box and hold the door open for spatuling food in/out.

Yeah, I think this will probably be the direction I go.

I watched several videos on YT, and that seems like a good solution. Had I researched things first (I'm a guy - and guys don't do that) I would have liked to install some nice torsion spring hinges like this guy did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dLwEWFZ8k

^ His smoker is incredibly nice. Very well thought out and executed.

And then there's this gent who used a wood stove similar to what I have going on. Looks like he's getting good results, so I'm excited to have the same good results...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fV0znUswlI

The link below shows some simple counter balancers that I will also make...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qEJ_lFODtc

I also really liked the guy's smoker in the below link. I also like how he installed an LP line just for starting the wood. Pretty slick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrcV0XZmJ4

Next time maybe I'll research my project before I begin. Nah. Probably not.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #2264
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Dampers all sorted, so I turn my attention to the doors. I bend a piece of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar by hand to match the tank radius. Once satisfied with the shape, I weld it in place. This seals up the gap between the doors.

Kirk, I've been looking at this picture and wondering if that bar would work better welded to one of the doors overhanging enough to catch the other door. Just thinking that when you raise both doors the bar would be raised as well and give you access to the entire cooking area.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2265
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Just thinking that when you raise both doors the bar would be raised as well and give you access to the entire cooking area.
...because sooner or later, you're gonna want to toss an entire pig on there for smoking. Did that last labor day for a big party and it was delish.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote