Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
straightenarrow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wicked On a hope and a prayer to "The Great Land"

Stealing the motto of an adventure 3 friends and I took to Nashville on a few hours planning to Nashville from Wisconsin... derived from a repairman in nowhere Indiana welding my exhaust that just broke apart... describing the 1995 Geo Tracker I saved from a salvage yard that we severely overloaded, sporting 4 bald tires and questionable maintenance, undercoated with oil spewed from various gaskets. He said we were, "On a hope and a prayer." I couldn't disagree, I actually got a laugh out of the fact I convinced 3 grown men into driving 30 hours in 3 days in that rig. Truth is I actually feel most comfortable living in that fashion.

I used to live in Alaska doing aerial survey and commercial fishing for Salmon. It was some of the best work a guy could ever live to do. The scenery, weather, smells, and people I miss dearly from "up north". For some reason I feel I relate and identify with most everyone there. That being said I've been long to return after a few year hiatus. Not only that I've never explored the Northwest contiguous states. My plan is to venture from Wisconsin direct to the West coast and head straight north as far as I can go before I need to get back for work. I've convinced my boss man to let me off for 3 weeks, I took an 8 week break from Grad school, and anything else can wait.

To prepare I've essentially done nothing besides bike maintenance to my 2008 KLR650. I had all intentions of preparing over the past few weeks, but school and fun gets in the way every time. The past few weeks I put new tires (shinko 705's), tubes, brake pads, bearings, heated grips, seat pad, cheapo footpegs, oil change, chain, sprockets, etc etc. I took this KLR650 to Key West last fall so it's set up well from that trip. I've got a friends gopro ready, a new samsung nx1100 camera, and a cheapo gps for navigation plus the "Bible" Milepost book.

I am leaving in 24 hours.... I need to pack tonight. On the way to work this morning I was late because my 1986 4Runner decided to take a nap so it's still sitting there on the side of the road.

Another guy said he wanted to comes a few days ago, we'll see tonight if he is still ready to go for 3 weeks on a motorcycle never doing it before.

24 hours before freedom, on a hope and a prayer, I feel like I've never been more ready :)

photo 228350_zps65fcb53f.jpg

updates to follow!

straightenarrow screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 06:12 AM
straightenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote