Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #316
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodooo View Post
Must admit I am keen on one after my test ride. Doesn't seem one bit heavier than my own bike. I am hoping touratech bring out a Lower comfort seat for them. Just would like it slightly lower. As its a bit tip toes as it is. Although I wouldn't let that put me of purchasing one.
Rodooo - how tall is ya? I just ordered one and I'm a bit curious.

PP
PoodlePumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #317
Rodooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
32 inch trouser leg. It was ok. Just tip toe and bike was brand new Might settle a bit yet. Could keep one foot on peg and nearly flat foot other side. So not too bad. Although on paper my own bike with the bmw comfort seat is taller than the GSA. The GSA seat must be slightly wider I doubt. But it's not a massive amount.
Rodooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #318
NanookWolf
MeAndMyCamel

Oddometer: 8
I have just under 1000 kms on my F800GSA and I'm absolutely loving the new bike!! I've put it through the paces so far...highway, gravel, sand, hills, mud, and forest trails, having just returned from the Ontario GS Challenge. This bike was "unstoppable" and managed everything I threw at it with ease and agility. Fantastic!! I'm finding the seat to be very comfortable and the higher windscreen and wide front panels do an amazing job of deflecting wind, a great touring companion for sure! The Enduro Mode is awesome and a breeze to switch between modes, and I felt it to be more than adequate in place of switching off the ABS and ASC, although when it got really messy out there it would have been even better with those turned off completely.

Btw, I'm just under 5'8" and a mere 150lbs (30" trouser leg) and can handle this tall bike (standard GSA seat) just fine, although it did take a bit of getting used to. Just need to compensate a bit...a shift to either side to get one foot down when stopped, and mounting and dismounting John Wayne style!

NanookWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #319
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Hmmm...

Quote:
Must admit I am keen on one after my test ride. Doesn't seem one bit heavier than my own bike. I am hoping touratech bring out a Lower comfort seat for them. Just would like it slightly lower. As its a bit tip toes as it is. Although I wouldn't let that put me of purchasing one.
Thinking of a retrofit on my 2013 with the GSA screen - does anyone know if it's a bolt-on? What's the verdict on wind protection on the GSA?

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #320
moto74
displaced

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCanuck View Post
Thinking of a retrofit on my 2013 with the GSA screen - does anyone know if it's a bolt-on? What's the verdict on wind protection on the GSA?
Yes, I have also been wondering about getting this shield onto the standard 2013. I nearly ordered a CB but sat back again when I saw this one on the new model.
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #321
bearbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
I saw today the F800adv on a BMW dealer. I am pretty sure that it can be retrofitted on the 2013 model and even on the older ones 2008-2012 with some minor mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
Searching the Real oem part numbers I found that everything fits

2009-2012 FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
ADV 2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988

2009-2012 MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833
2013- MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833

So all mounting parts are the same. The only issue can be differences on the fairing which must be minor.
bb

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/154297.png
bearbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #322
moto74
displaced

Oddometer: 176
Thanks bb
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #323
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
on 2014 f800gs -a
 photo heard_zpsb1d6128d.jpg
June 2013:
Took possession of a 2014 F800GSA before the year 2013 ended.

Found the bike profoundly more attractive than the same 2011 model I own.

Had the dealership switch the tires to Heidenau K60's.

I rode it off the lot.

First farkle.

Oversized footpegs. (bottle opener machined in.)

Enduro mode, is radically cool in the dirt. I hit the brakes on a corner on a washboard dirt road last night. The back still slides just a bit, yet the abs on the front is still working. It gives me a sense of control in a out of control situation, I never have had with any other bike.

The suspension on the 2014 F8gsa model blows away the suspension on my 2011 F8gs. I'm not experiencing spongy front forks. I am yet to test it when I catch air.

I'm not noticing a negative difference in handling of the bike due to the extra weight of the gas tank.

Also I noticed the lights are better. Unlike when I had my 2011 f8, I do not feel the need to slap on my clearwater "Glendas."

This bike is definitely an upgrade, I am not regretting.

Spent all day riding.

I am convinced without a trace of doubt, I simply Love this bike. It puts my 2011 model to shame.

So far I have nothing negative to say about the 2014 F800GSA.

And to think. I was going to buy a KTM. I'm glad I gave BMW one more chance. - "I'm dazzled."

Does anyone know what I mean? When you get on a bike and you feel exhilarated, and you can't seem to wipe the smile off your face? That kind of a bike? That is what happened to me all day. Ear to ear grins. Really pleased with this bike, so far. And the great thing is. No one else has one yet in my neck of the woods. I snapped up the only available model in my area. The only available, early release.

fractalsource screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 02:13 AM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #324
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
A smaller Adventure, but big fun

Just an update...back from the on and off-road trip to BMW RA Rally this last weekend in Asheville NC, so coming up on 4000kms - had first (overdue) service done at Eurosport Asheville - great shop, outstanding staff, then did some off-road and higher speed stints before heading back on the slab.

Suspension on and off road much better than my now departed 2009 and the variable electronic settings just plain work. The migrated Heidenau rubber still remains my favourite choice for all-round riding, even in the heavy rain we had on the way home.

MOD skid plate and rear rack look great and function as expected and my FAMSA tank and tank pannier set remains a good fit, even with the increased width up front. I did put the Clearwater Darla lights on for this trip (pending installation on the R1200GS Rallye) - they are a great complement to the 'improved' (it seems) stock lighting, a fact noted by others. The Cyclops LED Combination set is just overkill, but they sure turn dusk into day on clear roads.

Loaded, the Adventure is far more stable and nimble than my 2009 was in the same travel-ready state - it carries like the bigger GS but feels and handles like the lightweight it is (comparatively). The jury is still out on the whole 'Comfort Seat' thing, but I must admit that bottom and thigh support is outstanding...front to back wiggle room is nil though, unfortunately.

To steal a phrase, "I'm loving it!" Now back to the accessorizing...

Bruce
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #325
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
FAMSA Tankbag and Tank Panniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
Where did you get your FAMSA tank bag?
I've been using the FAMSA stuff for years (and years) - all obtained from www.BikerWorldUSA.com. I actually 'customized' a surplus set of FAMSA tank panniers designed for the DL-1000 but subsequently used on all three of the R1200GSA machines that have occupied space in the garage. For adaptation purposes I had a fellow Beemer rider make a textile middle section with side zippers for the tank panniers and this panel just sits under the tank bag. The FAMSA F800GS kit has a tank pad with the side zippers for a more integrated look.

As my custom approach has worked on the Versys 650, two F800GS and now the Adventure, I still haven't purchased one of the FAMSA kits. The extra length of the tank panniers I use positioned them nicely on the wider girth of the original F800s and its an even better fit on the Adventure - the mount points and strapping provide some alternatives in securing them as well, with the main tank bag using a front neck strap and rear side mounts to down-tube points.

The tank panniers sit far enough forward (basically just covering the side logos) to allow unobstructed ducting of the warm/hot air off the radiator - needless to say the knees will not be cold during winter riding...but neither is it unbearable in 36C temperatures and traffic.

While having and getting other tank bags for use and evaluations, the FAMSA products are on all of the home fleet Beemers and remain my favourite tank bag. If you want to see how the 'custom' fitment looks on my 2009 F800GS test mule, go to here http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ccessories.htm

I will post some photos when possible, cheers, Bruce
Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #326
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
I picked mine up last week. I did have the Short seat added. I have a 29 inch inseam and can get at least one foot flat on the ground with a slide slide to the side. Loving the bike but due to weather and business I haven't had time to rack up many miles. It does seem a bit top heavy with a full load of fuel but I think its just that its a tall bike. Underway its a dream and seems like its on rails!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #327
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Just looked at one yesterday here in Guatemala.

A bit taller but having the 24 L tank etc is a nice machine, still non adjustable front though ... was hoping they might have stepped that up being an adventure.

Lots of nice bits, taller screen and screen frame etc and the seat was very noice indeed

Snapped some pics, if anyone wants to see any details lemme know and I will swing em up.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #328
Rodooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Get the pics up.
Rodooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #329
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Get the pics up.
Ok, my observations, sorry if they are doubled up from previous info.

Differences I noticed on the floor.

Tank side fairings wider
Air intakes have grills to stop goats going down the holes
Bum is wider due to bigger tank
Forks still none adjustable
Back suspension is electronically controlled
Seat is awesome shape, not sure on long run but looks very good
Screen is fixed position
Screen has frame to hold it
Has ABS, rep said traction control and susp (rear) adjustment
Adv is notably taller than std, taller than our KTM950SE (which I have lowered)
Factory crash bars mounted to engine cases, not sure that is a great idea
Two piece rear brake pad for standing and sitting position
LED aux lights
There was a spider on the sidestand which they said they would throw in for free

Me

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #330
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
I found out last week that if you want the ESA option, you're going to have to wait.

The dealership's sales manager said they aren't making any ESA-equipped bikes at the moment (unknown why they stopped) and production with this option won't resume until sometime in August. This means that delivery won't be until close-to, or well into the fall. All other options are available and I can have a non-ESA-equipped bike now (no thanks, said I).

This may only apply to Canada and the other "smaller" markets (i.e. not the US or Europe).