User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #361
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,897
I'm still waiting on parts to isolate the house battery from the chassis battery.

.....but I figure with the Pikes Peak Hill Climb coming up this weekend. I needed to push forward with a couple of misc projects.

The factory light over the table has been missing its bulbs. On top of that the circuit board didn't seem to work as I couldn't get power to pass through it. So I took it completely apart and added a 20 LED 2x3" light board in place of the bulbs. Wired it through the factory switch.

I don't know if any of you ever noticed. The rear light above the bed had been replaced by the previous owner with a VERY ghettofab set up. You can see it here in the background.

Among the parts I got from the lady I helped fix her van was this florescent fixture. It was stock on some years in the spot above the tabel where my other light is.

I wired it in to the house battery in the back. Looks MUCH better. The bulb was good so I left it for the moment.

Here is both of them on in a completely dark garage. Ultimately I'm going to add some LED rope lighting for mood and lighting in other spots of the van. But this will get it up and running for this race weekend.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #362
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Here is a shot of out camp spot for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb! That is the race course just behind the van!

Unfortunately, we were also in the landing zone for the Flight for Life Helicopter that had to land twice for motorcyclists. We think both are going to be okay.

.....and here is the new record holder Sebastian Loeb. I can't even begin to describe how much faster he went by us compared to the other cars/bikes! 8:13 was the time, absolutely crushing the previous record.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #363
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
.....and here is the new record holder Sebastian Loeb. I can't even begin to describe how much faster he went by us compared to the other cars/bikes! 8:13 was the time, absolutely crushing the previous record.
Given his "normal" race courses, PP was probably child's play, for him.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #364
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Given his "normal" race courses, PP was probably child's play, for him.

Probably true! Very impressive to see the speed difference in person. Every car after that just seemed slow.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #365
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,294
Quote:

Ultimately I'm going to add some LED rope lighting for mood and lighting in other spots of the van.

So we'll be expecting another baby soon then?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #366
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Thumb

I'm going to need a bigger van!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #367
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

We went to a "cars and coffee" this last Saturday. Tons of really cool, unique and expensive cars! Always fun. We took the van! Which ends up being a constant conversation topic.

Picture my friend at 3Zero3 Motorsports took and posted on their Facebook page.

Also a great quote on a local forum by a friend of mine!

Quote:
It's a sad day when Cole's Eurovan gets more attention than my Porsche turbo.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #368
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Minor tinkering today.

Mounted and wired up a continuos duty solenoid today for the house battery. When the key is on, both batteries will charge from the alternator. When the key is off they are kept separate so that the house functions don't drain the starting battery.

Right now there is only one overhead light and a 12v power outlet (x4) for charging phones/ipads/camera batteries/flashlights/etc.

Need to go back when I have some more time and wire the LED overhead light and the other power outlet ports to the house battery. Will probably wire the stereo to it also. Just need to decide what I'm doing with the stereo.

Simple solution.

I've actually got a couple of big fuses I'll wire inline when I upgrade the alternator.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #369
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Took th van out for 5 days of camping. Started in Manitou Springs, headed over to Lake Irwin just outside Crested Butte, Down to Telluride for a few days, back through Salida and Buena Vista.

Although 4wd wasn't ever needed the thought did cross my mind that it would be nice to have. So maybe I will have to revisit that project this winter.

Couple of pictures from along the way.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #370
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
How does the baby do camping?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #371
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
How does the baby do camping?

She seems to love it! Loves being out and about. Sleeps fine, even at 11,000ft

Never had a single issue with her.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #372
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

The project continues!

Putting bikes on top of the van is a chore! So I've been hoping to find a rear swing out bike carrier. I figured eventually I'll be able to ride with my daughter. She turned 1/2 yesterday, so I wasn't in a big rush to find a different rack.

I stumbled on a brand new, in the box $500 Thule Apex for $30 at a garage sale! So I snapped it up, stripped off the Thule stickers and here it is.......test fit over! Think I'm going to make a table to mount on it when bikes aren't on there.

Then we took a trip tot he local fabric store, snatched a bunch of swatches.....they all suck! Will keep looking. Want either a GTI Interlagos style plaid or something seudo vintage VW van plaids. Want to use it on the curtains, seats, bed cushions, door cards, etc. Maybe even the Poptop if I can find the right fabrics!

Anyway, here was the failed lot!

Then I started to strategize with the carbo box! On the rack its just about 6" too tall. Kinda a pain to use and catches the wind quite a bit. So I figured I can make a custom mount to being it down flush and shorten the overall height and aerodynamics quite a bit.

Current

Plan! There is also enough room to mount two of these up there if I can find a deal on a second one.

Then, last week my Aussie ate a "small stuffed pig" that got caught in his intestines. To keep this short.....4 days of puking and diarea in the van, followed by surgery and now a recovering pup! It's been steam cleaned 4 times!!

Despite getting the van all clean and smelling fresh again I decided to get back on the wood look vinyl flooring project.

Through some of my trading I acquired a true "Weekender" floor. The big difference is that my GLS Carpet is carpet stuck to foam backing. The Weekender floor is carpet stuck to a weed subfloor. This subfloor is going to make it possible to put down the vinyl over it and make it all fit nice and factory like.

The wood subfloor has all sours of little tapers and raised portions under it. So having a factory piece will make all the difference. My plan is to put aftermarket sound deadening under it before the install.

Then I will have an easy to clean out cool looking floor.

Here is the center section with the carpet scraped off. I will fill in the two holes for the jump seat mounts.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #373
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Eek

Liking my factory fresh crate Eurovan more and more.

Check out what this one with 200k just sold for!!

http://www.gowesty.com/sale_details.php?id=1627
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #374
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Liking my factory fresh crate Eurovan more and more.

Check out what this one with 200k just sold for!!

http://www.gowesty.com/sale_details.php?id=1627
2001 GLS, here...I took delivery in late-July of '01. Just over 90k miles.

Every single time I take it in for service, one of the sales droids comes to find me, asking me when I'm going to let him buy it from me. I think he's got a waiting list of folks that want one.

And before you ask why I take it to the dealer for service, I'll add that my purchase included scheduled maintenance (oil, filters, etc.) for as long as I own it. They had no idea they were signing up for a lifetime commitment...

Still have kids at home, so it's in stock trim. In a couple years, I'll start the modifications. Take out the middle row seats. Find a Weekender rear bench, that converts to a bed. Install the table. New front seats on swivel bases. All that is fairly easy to do. I'll keep an eye out for a wrecked camper, and grab the first pop-top I see, to do the conversion like you've done here.
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #375
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Minor tinkering today.

Mounted and wired up a continuos duty solenoid today for the house battery. When the key is on, both batteries will charge from the alternator. When the key is off they are kept separate so that the house functions don't drain the starting battery.
That is a rather simple solution.
Where does a guy find one of those style solenoids

I picked up a blank slate over the weekend

Untitled by boardrider247, on Flickr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: