User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
chrisepp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Help - 950 adv broken down in Fairbanks on vacation!

Hey All,

My wife and I are on a trip from Vancouver to Alaska on our bikes. Coming up the Cassiar I got some bad gas and had a moment of white smoke for about 2 seconds. Did it once more but after that bike ran great to whitehorse (got good gas again). Rolling into whitehorse, temp started getting hot just as I rolled into the hotel it was getting hot so I shut it down. Coolant was low so I did my first oil change of the trip and saw a slightly wavy filter, but not mushy, and oil looked fine. A little dark sludge on rad cap. To be sure, new oil/filter and coolant and went for a couple kilometres. Ran great and then suddenly the coolant overflow tank was empty. Coolant all over my boot and it got hot so shut it down, loaded on pickup and took to Fairbanks, the only KTM dealer that would touch it was there. They said they would help me out so I left the bike with them and was camping in Kenai waiting for them. Just found out they did nothing really and said it needed weeks and a top wend rebuild (just a test ride so far as I know. Rebuild was just done. New pistons/rings/cam chains/ head work etc... I'm thinking blown head gasket.

Back to Fairbanks on sat to get the bike. Anyone know decent mechanic that actually knows the 950 who could maybe help me out? I might try to retorted heads in the hotel parking lot but a shop would be preferable. I was to do inivik and don't want that to all fall through!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, so if you know a mechanic who can help me out and has time please let me know. My wife's KLR is being a champ of course! :)

Cheers!
Chris

chrisepp screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 11:23 PM
chrisepp is offline   Reply With Quote