ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What phone has the best GPS?
iphone 20 19.05%
android 42 40.00%
windows 5 4.76%
Quit being so cheap and buy a gps 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #31
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
... you need to have a cell signal (which is VERY iffy here in New England)!...
No, you don't...cache the maps type you like for the area you want while you're at home on wifi.

I use the same app on my iPhone 4 with no service (this means no cell signal)
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #32
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
I'm not very app savvy, I have an I phone 4. What gps apps are recommended and work without cell service?
MotionX GPS and GPS Kit are 2 that I like for topos and being deep in the bush, recording tracks. They cache maps of your choice (many to choose from), easy to save and share waypoints and tracks, and both have a "real time" location share feature (need cell signal). They do not have turn-by-turn navigation.

I use Navigon for my turn-by-turn GPS app...all of N. America on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
I found the complete opposite. I really wanted to switch over to a smart phone for GPS, but the lack of decent maps, waterproofness, ruggedness, crappy user interfaces had me go back to the Montana.

Did you try the Montana?
I can't imagine even ONE feature or task that I wish I had that a standalone GPS could possibly offer me.

Define "decent map"...?
09 TE450
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
MotionX GPS and GPS Kit are 2 that I like for topos and being deep in the bush, recording tracks. They cache maps of your choice (many to choose from), easy to save and share waypoints and tracks, and both have a "real time" location share feature (need cell signal). They do not have turn-by-turn navigation.

I use Navigon for my turn-by-turn GPS app...all of N. America on my phone.

I can't imagine even ONE feature or task that I wish I had that a standalone GPS could possibly offer me.

Define "decent map"...?
Which Garmin GPS' are those? Several listers compare the old 60 and 76 models, those are old and have terrible interfaces that were superceded by other products well over 5 years ago.

I've used several that were introduced 10 years or so ago, and they are everything you describe. But then the phones were pretty limited as well.

It's very similar to the camera market. For bottom end use
, the phone camera works fine and has functions thatn a traditional compact digicam does not.

For more intensive use, most photographers still choose a camera.

Just yesterday I was trying to set up a route in various phone GPS apps (Google, Oruxmaps, OsmAnd), and what would have been trivial on my 2820 (old but still very functional) or Montana was frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErockPDX View Post
I use Garmin GPSs in work trucks for rural responses in a 2200-square-mile county and I hate them...I've found that they're slow to respond, the menus and search functions are unintuitive, and they're slow to register touch. THAT SAID, they are relatively low on the offering totem pole. I have a different Garmin, bare bones, that I use for hiking. My experience with both is that when I get frustrated, I simply use my iPhone 5 with success. I've begun putting topo maps on it for hiking too, and use Theodolite and MotionX.

For these reasons, I have been actively NOT buying a GPS for the bikes...I guess I'm waiting for one to bite me on the ass in the Flea Market or fall into my lap or something. In the meantime I keep being happy with the iPhone 5, cached maps, and a good old paper backup in my tank bag. The only thing I'm having trouble overcoming it the visibility of the iPhone screen with the Lifeproof case in direct sunlight.

I know, whine whine.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #34
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

There's that...no "route set up" that I'm aware of in a phone GPS.

Guess it comes down to what you need from your GPS
09 TE450
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #35
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
There's that...no "route set up" that I'm aware of in a phone GPS.

Guess it comes down to what you need from your GPS
I've been playing a bit more with the Android apps, as some of them open up more map options.
I think that outside of the big commercial markets like North America and Europe, OSM makes a lot of sense.
I particularly liked the OSM bicycle map I saw, combining street and topo data.

Put the not more in it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=21714596

But as you say, some of the stuff a regular GPS user expects is either very different, only partly implemented or just not there.

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #36
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Which Garmin GPS' are those? Several listers compare the old 60 and 76 models, those are old and have terrible interfaces that were superceded by other products well over 5 years ago.

I've used several that were introduced 10 years or so ago, and they are everything you describe. But then the phones were pretty limited as well.
The Nuvi 42 and 2497. The latter is better, but bleh. Granted--low on the totem pole, like I was saying. I'm sure the $600 models are loads better, but I'm having a hard time giving enough of a sh!t to do the research when my phone works great for roads and my wrist-mount works great for trail rides and crashing through the bush with a pack.

It would be ludicrous to think that we were new to this. We do this, this is what we do.
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
My Samsung Note is nice, because the screen is big enough to actually see.
The new Note 2 is equally impressive and much faster.
That being said, I spend much of my time very far from data sources. I never leave home without the maps for the day loaded onto my Garmin eTrex 20.

Moreover I never leave home without hard maps anymore either.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
My Samsung Note is nice, because the screen is big enough to actually see.
The new Note 2 is equally impressive and much faster.
That being said, I spend much of my time very far from data sources. I never leave home without the maps for the day loaded onto my Garmin eTrex 20.

Moreover I never leave home without hard maps anymore either.
See, that's what I've basically been doing. I have the Fortrex 401, which I wear on my wrist and just load way points on, or better, create them as I go for trail junctions, etc in new areas. Then I load quads on the iPhone and carry the actual quads in the tank bag.

Although now that I take the time to actually type this out...it sounds sort of contrived and I kinda want to look into a good bike-mounted GPS.

It would be ludicrous to think that we were new to this. We do this, this is what we do.
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #39
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErockPDX View Post
See, that's what I've basically been doing. I have the Fortrex 401, which I wear on my wrist and just load way points on, or better, create them as I go for trail junctions, etc in new areas. Then I load quads on the iPhone and carry the actual quads in the tank bag.

Although now that I take the time to actually type this out...it sounds sort of contrived and I kinda want to look into a good bike-mounted GPS.
Well I've been looking at phone options because my Montana took a walk on some bad 'road', my bad for not transferring the OEM mount.

Nothing I have found so far for the phone beats the convenience and ease of use of the Montana. Clip it into the mount, tighten the security torn screw with the supplied tool, and ride.
No fiddling with locks and enclosures and separate power cables and stuff.

Even the freebie Garmin compatible map I was using (nothing commercial available here) was substantially better than the OSM and Google maps.

But replacing it here involves either a lot more money (2/3rds of what my two local bikes cost each) or transferring money to a US account, ordering, then dealing shipping and a long wait. And probably several phone calls to track it down.

I'll probably just stick with my 2820 for a while.

Anyway, seems Garmin has announced the Monterra or some such. Montana form factor, and a combination of Garmin software and hardware on Android, so I would wait for reviews on that before making any decisions.

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #40
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Cool2

ipad mini
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #41
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
So what's the recommended android app? I am planning a long trip through Canada, and I like relying on my phone for navigation because of a lot of factors:
  1. Has bluetooth, I can get notifications when I am riding
  2. All my music is on the phone.
  3. The phone screen is much nicer, higher res. Sucks in daylight, but liveable
  4. I have to carry less crap.
  5. The phone is usually more powerful.
I am looking for offline Navigation, and have been demoing through some of them. Here's what I've been through so far:
  1. MayDroyd and other OSM variants: Lousy map data, great price (free).
  2. Sygic: Great POI/map data, lousy interface
  3. CoPilot: Much better interface, hit or miss with POIs.
I don't mind shelling out $50 or so for the best app, but I'd rather not demo through all of them, and there are a lot to choose from. So, what is the FF recommendation for a good GPS app on android?
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #42
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
So what's the recommended android app? not demo through all of them, and there are a lot to choose from. So, what is the FF recommendation for a good GPS app on android?

I've been using DualSportMaps for a year, have you tried that one? Several threads (Vendor, GPS forum, etc.) about it. That said, I am trading my one-month old Montana in on the Monterra, for the NOAA SAME alerts. Guess that is the ONE feature someone asked for above, as my Rugby Smart needs a WiFi signal to do the DSM weather radar ovelay. Monterra will be out in Sept, I'll report back.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #43
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I've been using DualSportMaps for a year, have you tried that one? Several threads (Vendor, GPS forum, etc.) about it. That said, I am trading my one-month old Montana in on the Monterra, for the NOAA SAME alerts. Guess that is the ONE feature someone asked for above, as my Rugby Smart needs a WiFi signal to do the DSM weather radar ovelay. Monterra will be out in Sept, I'll report back.
DualSportMaps is based off OSM, and I've had very sad results with the POI and routing accuracy from the map source. Also, I've seen the vendors post where initially people were put off by the quality. No offence to the dev, it takes very hard work to get a great gps app working. I am mostly on road, and I'd like to have routing working all the time.

I hear you on the Monterra, and I can't for the love of god understand what Garmin is doing. They built a dedicated device which runs android and costs $700 and yet refuses to release their software on the play store. There is a market for a dedicated device, as well as a for a good (even paid) phone app. Much as I like Garmin, I want my music on a long road trip, and that pretty much means I fall back to the phone. If they refuse to see where the world is going, at some point, they will be taken over by the phone apps. Luckily for them, tomtom is doing a great job of releasing one shitty version after another on android . The competition is very equally lack lustre as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #44
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

I had the Garmin maps and software on my Windows 6.1 HTC, I would guess one of the issues with moving that to Play, is the relative prices that Garmin asked versus the typical Android app.

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
I had the Garmin maps and software on my Windows 6.1 HTC, I would guess one of the issues with moving that to Play, is the relative prices that Garmin asked versus the typical Android app.
But they also acquired Navigon and already have a $50 app out there. Somebody is buying it, so there is a market out there for expensive navigation apps. I see how they feel about android apps cannibalizing their core dedicated devices market, but they should also see that customers are voting with their wallet? I think I am going to go with Sygic for now.