Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I live a few miles north of Deals Gap and yesterday I rode down to Highlands, NC to have lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I took Deals Gap then got on 28 and followed that all the way to Highlands. The section of 28 south of 19/74 is really twisty, and unlike the Dragon this section has a 50mph speed limit. Of course, the NC asphalt isn't as good as TN so at times 50 wasn't even possible but it was nice being able to ride at a nice pace and not worry about getting pulled over. I took a different route back from Highlands, going through Cashiers and Cherokee then up and over the Smokies at Newfound Gap,where the elevation is a little over 5,000 feet and the temps are a good 20 degrees cooler. On the way way down from Newfound Gap I was heading into som rain so I pulled over to put on the rain gear I had remembered to put in my saddle bag. Crap. I had put it in the saddle bag of another bike. I put my iPod into my Tennessee GoreTex® (ziplock bag) and rode through about 15 minutes of torrential traffic stopping rain along Little River Road, which was quickly turning into Big River Road with all the rain. It stopped raining about 40 miles from home and I was able to stand on the pegs and go from drenched to damp by the time I got home.

Total distance was 255 miles, and it was great!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Normally, when I go for a ride, I head out to Sam Houston National Forest and cruise around back roads. Last night, I decided to ride through downtown Houston. In four years of living here, I have only been down there during the business week and during normal hours.
Obviously, on a Sunday evening, the pace and density of people is much different. The relaxed atmosphere was actually refreshing and every bit as enjoyable as a ride through the forest.
If you haven't been through your city at an off time, I highly recommend it.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
Andy Mc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Mid Tn to West Carolina

500 great two-lane miles Saturday- and avoided the Dragon!

Leave Centerville @ 5:30a / meet second rider in Dickson / Franklin / meet two more riders in Murfreesboro / Woodbury / McMinnville / Spencer / Fall Creek Falls / Pikeville / Dayton / gas in Decatur / Athens / lunch & Outfitters in Tellico Plains / Cherohala Skyway / Robbinsville / take a break in Nantahala Gorge / Waynesville / Butts on the Branch BBQ in Maggie Valley / Drivers License Checkpoint in Cherokee - glad I skipped the brew with the BBQ / Gatlinburg Bypass / Pigeon Forge / Valley View Lodge in Townsend @ 11:00p - slept like a baby!

250 boring miles home Sunday on the slab.

Can't wait to do it again!
Andy Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #34
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I commute into DC most days. That makes me a rider!

Jim
Same here... I wonder if I've seen you around.

flickr / tumblr
southwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Same here... I wonder if I've seen you around.
Maybe, is this you next to my GS?

I park at 11th and between G and H!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,526
Wow.

Hopefully you know that guy and this was a prank.

I ride this:

flickr / tumblr
southwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Wow.

Hopefully you know that guy and this was a prank.

I ride this:

Not a prank, and I do not know him, though, apparently, another inmate does.

Jim

PS Great shot!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 85
My son in law and I went riding today. He rode my v-strom and I rode my guzzi. Left at 0830 and got home at 2pm. Rode down the beach then worked our way inland to the Ocala, took some nice roads here and there with no plan or reason. Just to ride for a while. We covered 175 miles. Rode thru ten minutes of very heavy rain with visibility down to less than 1/4 mile. Didn't want to stop for the rain gear as we were close to home. It was a great time. We both enjoyed it.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Well, not today, but this past Sunday. This is just the first time I've had to sit down and type it out.

Rode down to Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA, about 150 miles each way to say hello to an old friend I hadn't seen in a while and to check the place out. I must say I was impressed. They are a Moto Guzzi, Aprilia and MV Augusta dealership. I enjoyed checking out their inventory, which I'm pretty sure is the largest gathering of those brands you'll ever see except maybe at a Guzzi rally!

I'm not a fan of cruisers overall, but I have had an itch for a Triumph Rocket for a while. That itch has been replaced now that I have seen the Moto Guzzi California Custom, and the itch is burning.

Heading home from Riders Hill I stopped to see the progress at Two Wheels of Suches. They're coming along quite nicely. The new bath house is going to be pretty impressive, and they've done a great job getting the property ready for even more campers.

They have a Facebook presence for those of you with a WasteSpace® account but if you want to call them and reserve a room or a campsite, their number is 706-973-1671.

I know there have been a lot of changes to the place, and some people see that as good and some see that as bad. They do have new adirondack chairs on the porch and they have that same increased gravity field that the old chairs had. Once I sat down on the porch I couldn't build up the energy to leave! I could have happily sat there for a few more hours!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 868
my ride

Light mist in places, 60-70 degrees, overcast, wet and dry roads, quite a few dirt roads, a few roads never been on before, lots of twisties and a tad of super slab.
Lakes, rivers and hills. Nice day!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #41
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I raise you a Los Angeles!

I'll raise you riding thru the eye of a hurricane to get home.

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223

View Larger Map