Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #31
LE Trainer
Bad Buddhist

Oddometer: 154
You missed the important part... Rider OK?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #32
twigg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Dan just posted to the LD Rider List.

A minor incident ended the ride, but he is perfectly fine.
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #33
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,067
Bummer. But he's OK which is more important. Going to try again? He's not that far from the start.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 197
I think I saw Dan last night...

...RCMP truck dropped a rider off at the hotel we're staying in Ft. Nelson, BC around 10ish. Looked like the guy in the pictures - black textile pants & jacket, silver helmet, black tank bag and small duffel.

We're on this ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888420 and heading back home to Anchorage.

I'll see if we can spot Dan this morning and see if there is anything we can do to help, or at least offer some support.

Gary
GaryAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #35
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
What are the speed limits in Alaska?

If he averaged 73mph was that legal there and not cause him to be DQ'd under IBA rules?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
twigg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
What are the speed limits in Alaska?

If he averaged 73mph was that legal there and not cause him to be DQ'd under IBA rules?
There are no IBA "rules" regarding speed.

All sanctioned IBA rides can be completed withing posted speed limits, and an attempt to break a record is not an IBA sanctioned ride.

What Don said was that he was sticking to IBA guidelines for certifying a ride.

For example .... If you submit any ride that exceeds 1800 miles in a 24 hour period, the Certificate will not state the mileage recorded.

The IBA is dedicated to safe, long distance motorcycling, and they are unlikely ever to encourage attempts like this.

When we go out on the roads, we are motorists, pure and simple. We are subject to all the prevailing laws, and "good sense" surely plays a part.

Just my 2c. I have no involvement with the IBA other than a couple of certificates.
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #37
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT Dave View Post
Blew a front tire on the bike earlier this evening and so the ride ended there.
As a matter of interest what tires was Dan running ?
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #38
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 918
I wonder how much time* testing blood sugar and taking insulin shots adds... especially in the cold?
John Ryan is a type 1 diabetic, which makes any sort-of endurance event WAY more difficult. I know John wouldn't want that factored into his time, but I bet being diabetic probably added a couple hours.

*I actually sorta know the answer, because I'm a Type 1... it adds a LOT of time. And, in cold weather, it's much worse.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #39
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Updates???
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT Dave View Post
My Buddy Dan Simmonds is going to take a run at John Ryan's record time of 86 hours and 31 minutes in a motorcycle ride from Deadhorse, Alaska to Key West, Florida. It's important to note that this ride is not a race. It's simply an unofficial time that was accomplished by an exceptional rider named John Ryan in 2009. Apparently several people have tried to trim some time off of John's record since, but no one seems to have been able to "out-run him"...so to speak.
You know John is an inmate here, right?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=48990

Glad to hear your buddy is OK!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
You know John is an inmate here, right?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=48990
Well there goes the neighbourhood
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #42
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
My sincere thanks goes to my good friend Dave (YT Dave) for kicking off this thread....also his (and his wife's) massive encouragement, constant phone calls while up north preparing, keeping loved ones in the loop with updates, etc etc.

Also thanks to Paul with CH2MHILL at the Deadhorse shop for doing a front and rear tire change for me on a moments notice.

And yeah, can't forget the cutie at Wal-Mart in Fairbanks for her allowing me to spread my tools out all over the concrete while I did the engine & final drive oil changes next to the building.

For being more or less a total rookie at this UCC ride compared to others who have successfully achieved an outstanding overall time, I learned some valuable lessons in the short leg of this I ran from Prudhoe to Fort Nelson. In retrospect, I guess sometimes that's what it takes.

After a couple weeks now of seriously mulling this over, there's really no other viable choice I can live with aside from hitting this attempt again.

A few other brief notes are on my website about this past ride, as will be more photos of my next custom fuel cell build....to be based on lessons taken from this past ride & the feedback the bike gave me.

Dan
www.kk3an.com

kk3an screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 12:59 AM
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Thanks for chiming in Dan.

What happened to you with the front tire blow-out, and what makes the GSA not the ideal bike, as stated on your web page?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #44
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,389
This thread is reminding me of when Gary Eagan got this record for a few years at 101 hours on a Ducati Multistrada. He had problems in the first few hours when a big truck ran him off of the road, messing up a few things on the bike and making it so that he was unable to use the large fuel cell to extend the time between stops.

I know that he had arranged to stop at a specific dealer along the way where the bike could be serviced while he slept for a few hours.

Although I have no interest in riding more than about 500 miles in a day, I enjoy following those who like to try really long distances.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #45
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hi Jim,

Minor damage to the bike, and none to me. Had I not been 12-13% ahead on time at that point, I'd probably not have decided to do this again.

My comment on the GS was in reference only to the stock plastic fuel tank for this one very specific ride. It was my own inexperience at high-speed in the dirt that led me to believe my rear-mounted fuel cell would pose no problem, but in reality I was fighting a near-continuous front-end wobble almost the whole time in the dirt, and to a lesser extent on blacktop if I hit any irregularity in the pavement. Aside from that, I couldn't let the bike slide gently through corners in the dirt because the rear end was just too planted on the road.

And on the blacktop the bike was just far too rear-end heavy. I was using Hyperpro shocks adjusted to MAX preload and several times I felt both footpegs hit the road at the same time due to bottoming out. Again not the bike per-se, but the placement of the fuel I feel was a contributor to that.

So plan B is taking shape for 2014 or 2015....the next run will be with a single, front mounted fuel tank with 13-14 gallons. I'm going to have to pull some tricks out of my hat to make such a tank look at least somewhat stock and keep the bike ridable.

Thanks, Dan
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote