ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
DabsAlot OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DabsAlot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, MO
Oddometer: 301
Montana - SenaSMH10 integration - Should I trust Sena's Technical Support Engineer?

I recently purchased a Garmin Montana and I want to be able to transmit the audio navigation prompts from my Montana to my Sena SMH10 and have it take priority over music streaming via Bluetooth from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone. I saw Sena has multiple devices which may or may not provide this, so I e-mailed Sena support my a description of what I am wanting to do. Based on the responses I have received, I don't know just how knowledgeable they are with integrating the Montana audio in the way I want it. What does the ADV community think is the best way to accomplish this?

Below is my correspondence with a Sena Technical Support Engineer:

ME:

"I am currently running two Sena SMH10's on two different helmets and I have a Garmin Montana with two of their AMPS Rugged Mounts (W/audio output jack) on two different bikes. I Bluetooth stream music and phone conversation from my Android Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone to my SMH10's. If I never plan on running an external radio with my SMH10, what is my best option to stream audio from my Garmin Montana to my SMH10 and have it momentarily interrupt my streaming music from my phone?"


Sena Response:


"Hello Steve,
I'm sorry to say that is a difficult situation to work with because most likely both connection are using the same music channel, A2DP. So it would be hard to prioritize one or the other.
The only way for that to work is through a transmitter."



My Response:

"Could you expound upon your answer "The only way for that to work is through a transmitter." Are you referring to a product such as the Sena SM10 or something not in your product line? The Garmin Montana does not have Bluetooth capability, like I said it has an audio output jack I wish to utilize as my audio source. I realize I would need a device to transmit the audio from the Montana to my SMH10. I was under the impression that either the SM10 or SR10i was capable of accepting the audio-out from my Montana and transmitting it VIA Bluetooth to my SMH10. If that is not the case, we need to go no further. If that is the case, I want to know "what is my best option to stream audio from my Garmin Montana to my
SMH10 and have it momentarily interrupt my streaming music from my
phone?""


Sena Response:

"Hello Steve,
The SR10 would be one choice would be a better choice. This unit would transmit in HFP to the Headset, so it wouldn't conflict with the music on your phone. The SR10 would have the same highest priority as a phone call, thus, it would interrupt all the functions below it, such as A2DP (music) or intercom.
Since you only need the GPS for navigation, the SR10 would work well for you, since it does broadcast in Mono.
I hope this helps."


My Response:


"Thanks, I think this answers what I want to know, except in your first sentence you say: "The SR10 would be one choice would be a better choice." Did you mean to state that their is a better choice than the SR10? In other words.....which Sena device would be the best choice for my stated application."


I really didn't think it would take this much volleying back and forth of e-mails to get the answers I was looking for. Perhaps I didn't ask the correct questions.
__________________
2009 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 250 XCW
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
I recently purchased a Garmin Montana and I want to be able to transmit the audio navigation prompts from my Montana to my Sena SMH10 and have it take priority over music streaming via Bluetooth from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone. I saw Sena has multiple devices which may or may not provide this, so I e-mailed Sena support my a description of what I am wanting to do. Based on the responses I have received, I don't know just how knowledgeable they are with integrating the Montana audio in the way I want it. What does the ADV community think is the best way to accomplish this?

Below is my correspondence with a Sena Technical Support Engineer:

ME:

"I am currently running two Sena SMH10's on two different helmets and I have a Garmin Montana with two of their AMPS Rugged Mounts (W/audio output jack) on two different bikes. I Bluetooth stream music and phone conversation from my Android Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone to my SMH10's. If I never plan on running an external radio with my SMH10, what is my best option to stream audio from my Garmin Montana to my SMH10 and have it momentarily interrupt my streaming music from my phone?"


Sena Response:


"Hello Steve,
I'm sorry to say that is a difficult situation to work with because most likely both connection are using the same music channel, A2DP. So it would be hard to prioritize one or the other.
The only way for that to work is through a transmitter."



My Response:

"Could you expound upon your answer "The only way for that to work is through a transmitter." Are you referring to a product such as the Sena SM10 or something not in your product line? The Garmin Montana does not have Bluetooth capability, like I said it has an audio output jack I wish to utilize as my audio source. I realize I would need a device to transmit the audio from the Montana to my SMH10. I was under the impression that either the SM10 or SR10i was capable of accepting the audio-out from my Montana and transmitting it VIA Bluetooth to my SMH10. If that is not the case, we need to go no further. If that is the case, I want to know "what is my best option to stream audio from my Garmin Montana to my
SMH10 and have it momentarily interrupt my streaming music from my
phone?""


Sena Response:

"Hello Steve,
The SR10 would be one choice would be a better choice. This unit would transmit in HFP to the Headset, so it wouldn't conflict with the music on your phone. The SR10 would have the same highest priority as a phone call, thus, it would interrupt all the functions below it, such as A2DP (music) or intercom.
Since you only need the GPS for navigation, the SR10 would work well for you, since it does broadcast in Mono.
I hope this helps."


My Response:


"Thanks, I think this answers what I want to know, except in your first sentence you say: "The SR10 would be one choice would be a better choice." Did you mean to state that their is a better choice than the SR10? In other words.....which Sena device would be the best choice for my stated application."


I really didn't think it would take this much volleying back and forth of e-mails to get the answers I was looking for. Perhaps I didn't ask the correct questions.
Sena support guided you correctly. The SR10 is the way to go. I use one with my Montana when I want to have Nav in my ear. It does just as he described.

Make sure you are using the Audio Out Jack on the Montana Rugged Mount harness and not the Jack on the Montana itself.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
DabsAlot OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DabsAlot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, MO
Oddometer: 301
Now the next question - is the Montana Routing worth it?

Hey DRTDBYK, thanks! Yes I was planning on using the Audio Out Jack from the AMPS Rugged Mount.

So now my next question is.....is the routing on the Montana worthy of the investment of hardware? Since the Montana is new to me, I haven't routed with it yet, I have only followed tracks. With my 60csx I usually created a route, converted it to a track, and then uploaded them both to my GPS. I would set the color of each different, and keep an eye on the track to see if the route was doing anything funny. That is what I want to do with my Montana, but I hear so much discontent on the board here about the Montana's routing that I plan on testing the audio prompted routing by first plugging the Audio Out directly into my Sena SMH10 to try it out.
__________________
2009 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 250 XCW
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
Hey DRTDBYK, thanks! Yes I was planning on using the Audio Out Jack from the AMPS Rugged Mount.

So now my next question is.....is the routing on the Montana worthy of the investment of hardware? Since the Montana is new to me, I haven't routed with it yet, I have only followed tracks. With my 60csx I usually created a route, converted it to a track, and then uploaded them both to my GPS. I would set the color of each different, and keep an eye on the track to see if the route was doing anything funny. That is what I want to do with my Montana, but I hear so much discontent on the board here about the Montana's routing that I plan on testing the audio prompted routing by first plugging the Audio Out directly into my Sena SMH10 to try it out.
The Montana will route you anywhere you have routable maps. You just need to know how to use the routing features on the unit. I have put a lot of miles on the Montana do both Track navigation and Routing. Most of the time I do (and recommend) the process you just described. I do my route planning in BaseCamp and once I have a route the way I want it, I create a Track from the Route (two clicks in BaseCamp). Then I load both the Track and Route to the Montana. The key for Routing on the Montana is to use BaseCamp to transfer your data to internal storage. If you do so, the Montana will not try and recalculate the route. It will present it as you planned it. I use the above Track/Route process just to allow me to freely go "off-route" and easily adjust to getting back "on-route".

Best of luck...
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
DabsAlot OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DabsAlot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, MO
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana will route you anywhere you have routable maps. You just need to know how to use the routing features on the unit. I have put a lot of miles on the Montana do both Track navigation and Routing. Most of the time I do (and recommend) the process you just described. I do my route planning in BaseCamp and once I have a route the way I want it, I create a Track from the Route (two clicks in BaseCamp). Then I load both the Track and Route to the Montana. The key for Routing on the Montana is to use BaseCamp to transfer your data to internal storage. If you do so, the Montana will not try and recalculate the route. It will present it as you planned it. I use the above Track/Route process just to allow me to freely go "off-route" and easily adjust to getting back "on-route".

Best of luck...
I have Garmin's City Nav and 24k Topo's that are both routeable as well as some other non-routeable topo's that I choose between depending on the scenario. With the Montana that is MUCH easier than my 60csx! I also transfer my tracks and routes to the GPS internal storage and not the SD card.....I have my maps on the SD card. Navigating a track is something I have never done though. Time for test riding!

I had attempted to make the switch from Mapsource to Basecamp a number of times, but would end up getting frustrated and go back to Mapsource. Since buying the Montana I decided it was time to quit Mapsource 'cold turkey' and embrace BaseCamp......finally! No more copying routes to WinGDB3 to make a track for me! No more 500 track point limit...yahoo!

Steve
__________________
2009 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 250 XCW
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014