User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 468 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #29896
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,172
MrsDonkeys and I have a doctor's appointment today. It's an ultrasound to see the baby, and hopefully to answer the big debate: boy or girl.

My money is on girl, she says boy. She's so confident that she made a little wager last night. Winner gets the gun of their choice up to $1000. Since it'll be in our safe no matter what, I can't see how I can lose.

Did I mention that I love my wife?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #29897
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
So my Cousin, in spite of being from Colorado, is rather sophisticated, and for some obscure reason, married a guy from New York. They have a 12 year old son. So, since we had some time and a nice sunny day, I suggested that maybe his son would like to go pop off some .22's, and did they want to go to the range?

Well, we loaded up a bunch of stuff, including borrowing moms BL-22 "ladies gun", which I have not shot in years.

It was a blast - the boy turned out to be a natural at it, at 25 yards hitting several x rings with the scoped .22 and a good bunch of shots with the BL-22 and iron sights.

I also brought the K-22 pistol and they had fun blasting away with that fun pistol.

I also brought out my PX4 Storm [.40 S&W] but my Cousin in law demurred, it being so powerful. Was a fun couple of hours, as always.

Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #29898
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:

Well, we loaded up a bunch of stuff, including borrowing moms BL-22 "ladies gun", which I have not shot in years.
BL-22 is a ladies gun? I take offense to that!

I grew up shooting a BL-22 with iron sights. It was my first real gun, and carried it around like it was the crown jewels. I took it everywhere, never letting it out of my sight, and made sure I never dinged that pretty stock. I killed many a squirrel with that rifle, and murdered even more soda cans. It is still, without a doubt, my favorite gun. There's just something about a lever action...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #29899
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
BL-22 is a ladies gun? I take offense to that!

I grew up shooting a BL-22 with iron sights. It was my first real gun, and carried it around like it was the crown jewels. I took it everywhere, never letting it out of my sight, and made sure I never dinged that pretty stock. I killed many a squirrel with that rifle, and murdered even more soda cans. It is still, without a doubt, my favorite gun. There's just something about a lever action...
it's OK, I misspoke, I meant the Browing .22 Auto - the bottom eject, buttstock tubular magazine - I call it a ladies gun because it's a bit physically diminutive and is perfect for beginning shooters in that respect.

I would love a BL-22 and may have to look for one - I like a lever gun, got a Marlin 336 a long time ago in 30-30.

I suppose that everyones first gun is the most special? I dunno. I like all of mine or I would not have 'em, but I covet that .22 auto. Fortunately, I got my dad and grandad's hunting stuff.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #29900
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Yea, it's was the nephew in law or whatever, only his second time shooting - I was impressed. Always nice to give someone a positive gun experience, particuarly at an impressionable age. Next time he visits, I bet that he ASKS if we can go to the range. Why of COURSE we can! Want to come along, Dad?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #29901
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
it's OK, I misspoke, I meant the Browing .22 Auto - the bottom eject, buttstock tubular magazine - I call it a ladies gun because it's a bit physically diminutive and is perfect for beginning shooters in that respect.

I would love a BL-22 and may have to look for one - I like a lever gun, got a Marlin 336 a long time ago in 30-30.

I suppose that everyones first gun is the most special? I dunno. I like all of mine or I would not have 'em, but I covet that .22 auto. Fortunately, I got my dad and grandad's hunting stuff.
Just brought my dads 22auto browning home yesterday. It was the rifle I learned to shoot with and carried it everywhere. Love that rifle but wish I'd have taken better care of it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #29902
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
I would call it elegant. Guy here at work had the take down version and I am drooling over it big time....little rough, but very nice. I hate HATE the 10/22.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #29903
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I would call it elegant. Guy here at work had the take down version and I am drooling over it big time....little rough, but very nice. I hate HATE the 10/22.
AFAIK, they are all break down, it's one of the features - makes it a whip to clean of course.

Elegant, compact, clean lined....

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #29904
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

Why do you hate the 10/22?
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #29905
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
Why do you hate the 10/22?
I don't like the rotary magazine - I know it makes it cleaner but it's silly that it's so hard to charge.

No bolt hold open? I don't know why the .22's don't do that - the browning does not hold open either.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #29906
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,573
Quote:
I don't like the rotary magazine - I know it makes it cleaner but it's silly that it's so hard to charge.

No bolt hold open? I don't know why the .22's don't do that - the browning does not hold open either.
Totally valid complaints and why there are so many ways to fix those issues. Out of the box, the 10/22 is a pain, but a trip to RimfireCentral.com and a few hundred bux spent at Midway or GunKings can turn it into a decent semi.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #29907
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:

The reason the 10-22 doesn't act like a tactical rifle is because it aint. Sure you can make it more tactical but it is never going to be an AR15, they do (as far as I know) on those made for .22lr do bolt hold open and all the needed tactical stuff. Shoot, my marlin model 60 has a bolt open lever, but I can't remember if it stays open last round. However, it is a tube mag.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #29908
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The reason the 10-22 doesn't act like a tactical rifle is because it aint. Sure you can make it more tactical but it is never going to be an AR15, they do (as far as I know) on those made for .22lr do bolt hold open and all the needed tactical stuff. Shoot, my marlin model 60 has a bolt open lever, but I can't remember if it stays open last round. However, it is a tube mag.

marlin 60 stays open after last round. not that it makes the reload any quicker.

after sliding more rounds into the tube, you have to release the bolt, then sling it back again. safer for kids i guess.

yesterday i shot an even worse design: mossberg plinkster. mag kinda stays open after last round - but it sandwiches the empty mag. so removing the mag means either locking the bolt open or pulling it, with force, off the bolt. was not impressed wtih the mossberg. cheap and light though.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #29909
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
22 rimfire pistols

has anyone owned both the m&p 22 and the ruger sr22?

i've had the ruger for less than a year. after break-in it became very reliable and fun to shoot.

few weeks ago i decided that the (upside down) thumb safety/decocker was a critical problem. i reflexively turned the safety on when coming up on target bc it's reverse from 1911 thumb safety.

so i went to a gun shop and had them order an m&p22. i'm trading in the ruger for credit towards the smith. i hope it's worth the headache and expense.

then today i found the four extra mags i bought for the ruger. new in box. don't really want to get hosed again on a "trade-in." d'oh!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #29910
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
has anyone owned both the m&p 22 and the ruger sr22?

so i went to a gun shop and had them order an m&p22. i'm trading in the ruger for credit towards the smith. i hope it's worth the headache and expense.

then today i found the four extra mags i bought for the ruger. new in box. don't really want to get hosed again on a "trade-in." d'oh!
I thought the M&p 22 had the same backwards safety too.

My mother bought a m&p 9mm with the safety and I kind of thought it was a POS compared to a glock and springfield xd and that was before all it's stupid issues with the magazine and slide sticking.

The matching m&p 22 she got to practice with is a wonderful gun though. I was all about the sr22 until I shot one and overall didn't care for it. I'm going to buy a m&p 22 and already have 2x .22 pistols. It took a while and more effort than you would think to buy extra magazines for it since it only comes with 1.
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: