Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #17551
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Let's be clear, bolting on a top box or panniers would hardly be considered "modifying" a bike. If you ordered it with factory boxes, we would never call it modified, it came from the factory that way. Anyway, here is some additional info:

I have the Touratech rack along with my brake light upgrade installed, the light which adds to the wiring mess under the cover. This was all a non-issue for my dealer. Took them about 30 minutes while I drooled over the new bikes. I would have serious doubts of having a dealer like that do any work for me in the future. This is a good indication they are willing to cut corners and take shortcuts to increase their profits. My first phone call would be to Triumph corporate and as I said, finding a new dealer.

Care to share which dealer is treating you this way???

That being said, I do not know how far you are from your or another dealer, so I understand this may be easier said than done, but this is not the attitude I would want from my dealer. In the event you end up having to do the parts swap yourself, here are some instructions.

As far as doing it yourself, it is a simple task. The instructions are for the replacement of the recalled parts. You will still need access to the front to get at the turn signals, which involves some disassembly. PM me if you need the instructions for that as I can shoot you the pdf of the disas/re-assembly. I don't know why the dealer would tell you about needing JB Weld or similar. I think it is just another sign of their incompetence.

Anyway...
  1. Remove your box, rack and top cover.
  2. Remove the nut and bolt retaining the turn signal (I believe 5mm hex for the bolt and 10mm? for the nut) This will leave your turn signal stalk hanging free.
  3. Unplug the signal connecting wires and route them through the hole. They are different lengths so you will be able to maintain polarity.
  4. Once the signal is out, you will see a small brass collar in the stalk portion, remove that.
  5. Now remove the small screws that retain the lens on the signal body. Save these screws.
  6. Once the lens is off, there is a small retaining screw that holds the stalk (ribbed part) in place. Remove the screw and pull the stalk from the lamp housing, carefully working the wires through the stalk.
  7. Now you replace the stalk with the new one. The major difference is the brass collar that was straight on the old parts, now has a flange as part of it which keeps the stalk bolted correctly in place.
  8. Once the stalk is replaced, replace the set internal set screw and re-install the lens and screws.
  9. Feed the wires back through the bike, install the bolt and replace your cover and rack.

p3
Thanks for that info. I'll give it a shot with the dealer again when I have more time,which will be a couple of weeks. It would be nice if the dealer could take care of replacing those stalks. Worse comes to worse, your directions above will help me. Thanks.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #17552
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Thanks for that info. I'll give it a shot with the dealer again when I have more time,which will be a couple of weeks. It would be nice if the dealer could take care of replacing those stalks. Worse comes to worse, your directions above will help me. Thanks.
It's a recall, it's not a matter of if they want to or not. They're required to perform the work and document that it is done for your VIN.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #17553
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
That work is paid for by Triumph as it is a safety recall. If you do the work, he is still getting paid to do it. Time to a) call Triumph and b) find a new dealer.

+1 That's fucked up for him not to do it. Even if you preferred to do it. They need to certify that it has been done. Triumph would not like to hear that. The only reason he might be justified is if your bike doesn't fall under the recall VIN. Then, hey he just gave you free parts, not bad.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #17554
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1 That's fucked up for him not to do it. Even if you preferred to do it. They need to certify that it has been done. Triumph would not like to hear that.
+1. When I had mine done, I asked my Service Manager if I could just have the parts. He said he couldn't because they had to 'certify' that it was done (for liability purposes, I guess). I'd ask your dealer if they were willing to take on that liability (and give you something in writing) if they weren't going to do the work.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #17555
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
It's a recall, it's not a matter of if they want to or not. They're required to perform the work and document that it is done for your VIN.
^^ This.

Especially the latter part. Recalls are generally for a safety defect, as is the case on this one. Otherwise they're a service bulletin and/or warranty claim.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #17556
mcridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That has nothing much to do with the screen. The wind comes in around the bottom sides, beneath the screen. Have a look at the Madstad site where they make deflectors to stop that wind hitting you. I copied their deflectors and made some to fit my Palmer set-up. You can see them in this photo. All is calm behind my screen...
Would you by chance have another pic from the front? I too am looking for better wind/noise protection (its an age thing). Both stock shields are marginal at best and I don't need a collection of them hanging on the wall.
Thanks
mcridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #17557
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Does anybody have some photos of the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags mounted on Wolfman racks on the 800XC? Looking for side and rear shots if possible. I understand that the whole setup ends up being 43 inches wide but still would like a photograph or two to see the setup.
Let me know if you need any other views. I just put these on last week and like the setup a lot.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #17558
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 359
The dreaded stalling problem

Has reared its ugly head, starting at the Arctic Circle on the Dempster, Inuvik-bound. I'm back home now, having nursed it along (and cursed it a few times, too). Somewhere here there was a thread describing the fix, which I smugly ignored, thinking that my bike was somehow immune. Wrong.

I've now got the tank and airbox off and am looking at the idle stepper motor, considering vile tortures to the little bastard... Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of fixing the little futhyermucker? Seems like it had something to do with cleaning and lubing the plunger or roller??

Thanks.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17559
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
Has reared its ugly head, starting at the Arctic Circle on the Dempster, Inuvik-bound. I'm back home now, having nursed it along (and cursed it a few times, too). Somewhere here there was a thread describing the fix, which I smugly ignored, thinking that my bike was somehow immune. Wrong.

I've now got the tank and airbox off and am looking at the idle stepper motor, considering vile tortures to the little bastard... Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of fixing the little futhyermucker? Seems like it had something to do with cleaning and lubing the plunger or roller??

Thanks.

One fix is simply squirting the stepper motor plunger thing with some lubricant and perhaps cycling the stepper a few times. It would be of interest to most (I think) if you tried this simple fix first so that others would know if they could fix this issue simply in the field.

There was also an issue with the first map program that came on early bikes that created a stalling issue. Is your bike a 2011 that was not updated? You should rule that out first.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #17560
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Thanks for the reply! Mine's a 2012, tune is 20634 and has been problem-free to now. I'll be out in the garage in the morning with compressed air, silicone spray, and whatever else might work.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #17561
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 26
Chain adjustment at 200 miles?

Recently purchased a new Tiger 800XC. Service manager suggested I bring the bike in at 200 miles for a free chain inspection and adjustment. Am at that mileage right now. Trying to decide if it is worth the few hour time commitment, or if there is no need and I should just wait until 500 miles for the break-in service that also includes an oil change.

It's my first non-shaft bike in 15+ years, so I confess I've forgotten most of what I once knew about frequency of chain adjustment.

I imagine the owners manual speaks to this also.

From your experience will the chain need any attention at 200 miles?

Thanks!
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #17562
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Recently purchased a new Tiger 800XC. Service manager suggested I bring the bike in at 200 miles for a free chain inspection and adjustment. Am at that mileage right now. Trying to decide if it is worth the few hour time commitment, or if there is no need and I should just wait until 500 miles for the break-in service that also includes an oil change.

It's my first non-shaft bike in 15+ years, so I confess I've forgotten most of what I once knew about frequency of chain adjustment.

I imagine the owners manual speaks to this also.

Thanks!
For the first 200 to 500 miles the chain will stretch the most, after that not much at all if you keep it clean and lubed. Heck, if you're inclined take the freebie and then check again at 5 or 6 hundred, after that it's regular maintenance.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #17563
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
I have adjusted my chain at around 400 miles once, then not until I mounted a new rear tire at 5,600 miles, haven't had to adjust it since then. I am at ~10,200 miles now. I expect it to go another 8k to 10k miles without moving all too much.

Meaning: it will stretch a little bit in the beginning when everything settles in. After that it might not stretch at all for most of the life of the chain. Once it starts stretching again at more frequent intervals than ~1000 miles, I'm normally ordering the replacement parts and change chain, sprocket, counter sprocket, chain sliders. I normally (haven't done that on the Tiger) take the rear wheel, rear suspension, and swing arm out at that point and clean and lubricate everything properly, then assemble in pretty much like new condition. The benefit of doing it this way is that if you buy a closed chain with the correct length, you don't have to open it.

Have done this a few times on my TransAlps in the 90s. Worked like a charm.

One hint: if you bring it to the dealer for adjustment, check what they have adjusted it to afterwards. Mechanics are human, too, and sometimes they adjust the chain too tight. Make sure it is on the loose end of the recommended values, then everything should be fine for quite a while.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #17564
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I installed those pegs on mine and had no issue lowering the brake pedal to accommodate the lower foot position.
Maybe your feet don't dangle as much as mine.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #17565
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcridr View Post
Would you by chance have another pic from the front? I too am looking for better wind/noise protection (its an age thing). Both stock shields are marginal at best and I don't need a collection of them hanging on the wall.
Thanks
Certainly...

Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote