ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Any Bay Area klr 650 riders?

For over 5 years I rode with one or more of my usual dual sport adventurer buddies ( some of you might know Wheatwacker) but these days some have moved or lost interest in tripping (not drug related )...so I'm looking for new folks to share backcountry adventure riding/camping trips with... also since I no longer have the ktm 9fiddy and am riding a klr 650 I would prefer to ride with folks similarly equipt...

The usual trips... Mendocino, Sierra mtns, Shasta trinity, Death Valley, baja, Nevada, carrizo plains... and further beyond for longer trips...

Might be up for one or two weekend/3day trips in the next few months, though I'm off to Alaska in August. Some fall trips would be good and that's usually Death Valley time (thanksgiving)...

Anyway, wanted to throw that out there and see what floats back...,
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Bump...

Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
RichardBryant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
hi lots of mixed group rides. KLRs will do fine.
RichardBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Schedule a dual sport ride on BARF. Go somewhere like Carnegie. You'll get lots of KLR's if you give enough notice.

At least, that's how it worked the last time I tried it. More than half of the 20 or so bikes that showed up were KLR's. The rest were various different Honda, Suzuki, BMW, and KTM bikes. Some had never ridden in dirt, but most were willing to try a few trickly parts. A few bikes got dumped.

I don't understand why you would want to limit rides to KLR's rather than any dual sport. Although one of these days I would like to see how a KLR handles the trails at Georgetown, that were enough of a challenge on my XRL.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Well ya, I'm not opposed to a mixed bunch on a general group ride, especially off road the playing field gets leveled . But on the freeway i really dont want to be having to try to keep up with faster bikes... ive been there, i had the GS and just recently the KTM 950 and especially with that bike (which we all had ;) we were MOVING on and off road...

I guess I don't want to feel left in the dust having the slower bike

But with my regular posse I'd rather we all just had the same bike for mechanical and performance matters...makes for a more enjoyable trip for me...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
... But on the freeway i really don't want to be having to try to keep up with faster bikes...
Well, there's your problem right there.

The good rides don't include freeways. Especially in the Bay Area.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
I guess I don't want to feel left in the dust having the slower bike
Hi jonyfi,

My wife, Cary, and myself are KLR riders here in San Francisco ... she has an '02 and I ride an '01 with a '96 engine, 14T front sprocket and DOT knobbies ... it becomes a real chore to ride faster than 70mph ...

It's fun to see you back on a KLR after having seen pics of your KTM in your epic "24 hour endurance dualsport ride (not a race)" thread ...

Anyway, I've adopted a sort of "see you there!" approach ... once I figure out where I'm going and where I'll be camping I post up in the Bay Area Adventure Riders thread ... it works maybe one time in ten ...

Here's a pic from Saline Valley Hot Springs last Thanksgiving, the last time the see-you-there approach worked:

Zeegman, and Just Paul, BigNastybrp and their gals ... we only crossed paths long enough for this pic, but even if we had been "riding together" we'd probably only have spent the same amount of time in their presence, ha! They were on a BRP a 990 and a KTM 520, I guess ...

We don't have any plans for KLR kamping right now ... Cary wants to paint the apartment over the 4th, but I'm slowly attempting to thwart the painting idea ...
If I'm successful, I'll post up on BAARC ... other than that, we hang out at the Mercury Cafe (Octavia and Page) a lot of mornings, and at the SFMC, of course ...

I rode up to Alaska a few years ago on my KLR ... have fun in August!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 10:18 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

SFMCjohn, ya I recall crossing posting paths with you regarding the 24 hr. dualsport ride
Who knows I might give that a go in early August before I head up to Alaska...

Good to hear you're around, yes maybe we will cross paths... I guess I just need to know where to keep my eyes open for and post my rides for connecting with folks and take it from there... forge some new contacts...

Saline valley!!! Ya awesome place! I try to get there a few times a year, I was just out there this past April before it got to hot for me. Me and my gal trucked it though, no bike that time... I'd stop there every time I returned from baja or Mexico, a good place to spend a last few days before heading back to work

I guess I need too check out BAARC' thanks!