Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #691
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Great report R3. I think this will be the day 3 ride for my brother and I. Day 1 will be that short ride to a lake that was in an earlier RR. I have to look it up. Day 2 is Toroweap. On Saturday, we are set up for golf at the Ledges. It's going to be a great 4 days.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #692
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 639
Thanks RRR, SamTHG and StG

These three riders were strangers at the beginning but within a few hours became like Brothers in Battle.

The multiple reference to headlights working being important was directed at my KLR. My headlight was working intermittently. I think the guys were just jealous of my Supertanker Status. They took me along just so they could sip gas from my tank when I was on frequent nature calls.

RRR was also insistent on showing us some Flying Monkey Spot---he swears both 'Wizard of Oz' movies were filmed right at that spot. I did not believe him for a second, but was afraid that he would sulk and quit the ride if challenged. So we did a lot of oohs and ahhs when he was talking about 'Monkeys'. 'Flying Monkeys', Really!

He also showed us some small, really small streams, telling us that these were the source of The Mighty Colorado which is the 'source of water for all the Oceans on Earth'. He even told us he has named these little streams but the State of Utah is still insisting that he is somewhat inaccurate about his findings. His enthusiasm about his home town and state is admirable. Like 'The Monkeys' nobody challenged him.

Once I made the mistake of adding some Seafoam to the KLR's tank. The guys saw this even though I was being discreet. I will say no more on this topic.

I am glad there were plenty of zip ties, rolls of duct tape, wires, flashlights, etc otherwise I would still be somewhere in Zion or one of its tunnels that RRR insists he drew the architecture plans for.

Thanks for an experience of a lifetime.
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #693
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJohnny View Post
Looks like a you all had a great ride. Hated to miss it. Maybe next time.

Hey STG, Did you get a new bike?
Hey DirtyJohnny,

You referring to my pedal bike? Yeah, I need to get a real dirt bike someday. If ya ever consider paring down your stable of 20+ bikes, let me know.

R3,

Some great photos as usual!
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #694
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 115
Inmate Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
Hey DirtyJohnny,

You referring to my pedal bike? Yeah, I need to get a real dirt bike someday. If ya ever consider paring down your stable of 20+ bikes, let me know.

R3,

Some great photos as usual!
R3 and STG, Great pics!

STG, Saw the KLR and thought maybe you upsized, then realized that you were taking the pic.
Nothing wrong with the WR for SW Utah Riding. Most bikes in my stable are not as road worthy or handle as well as your WR. You have your WR set up very well! hope to ride with you again soon.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #695
MTNclimber0331
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Looks like yo guys had fun ride. Wish I could of joined you all. Maybe a weekend ride, sometime?
MTNclimber0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #696
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Friday Afternoon: Enterprise & Pine Valley

My buddy Ken works for MotoZoo in St. George. He has the day off on Friday so we try to escape the heat in St. George by riding to Enterprise and Pine Valley. Ken rarely takes a weekday off, and Saturdays are always busy at MotoZoo.

Chasing Ken on his V-Strom up the small paved road to Enterprise Reservoir. Been practicing my on the move pics recently.

My stock '09 Versys and Ken's fully farkled '12 V-Strom at Upper Enterprise Reservoir. Ken keeps wanting to trade me even up on bikes, but I'm not budging. Sticking with the Versys; not taking any chances on that dodgy V-Strom engine.

Short ride back to Enterprise for lunch at Marv's.

Classic hamburgers. No salads here; don't even think they have vegetables on the menu.

Ken's no inmate, but he understands the salute! Good guy, go buy a bike from this man. MotoZoo. He's always checking his messages. Making sure his schedule is clear for all the Yamaha, CanAm, Suzuki . . . events for riding all the new bikes and boats. Rough part of his job . . . keeping track of all the work playtime in Florida and Mexico. We should all feel sorry for Ken.

On dirt in the "suburbs" of Pine Valley. Brave man, shorts on the bike. Even flying insects have an unpleasant ping on shins at 80+ mph.

Pine Valley Chapel. At least it is only 90 degrees. Probably going to be 110 in St. George later this afternoon.

Tourist pic. The paved road up to Pine Valley is very moto friendly. Not a long ride, but a few nice curves.

Local history.

Here's Ken keeping track of his Florida and Mexico work commitments prior to hopping on the bikes for the hot blast on the descent back into St. George.

Later that afternoon I pick up my son at his "Camp Invention." Son is on left with 3 friends. Their job was to build a catapult from household recycle items. Objective was to launch a rubber duck across the school gym. Very accurate contraption they came up with. Look at those smiles. The catapult now lives in our family room. My wife will be very pleased when she gets back into town in a few days. Surprise, Mommy. The boys have redecorated with a homemade rubber duck launcher. Every family should have one.

Thanks for checkin' in inmates & lurkers. Ride often, ride safe!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #697
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Boys at Brian Head

Wife is away for a long weekend visiting her dad in PA. Son and I went to Brian Head. Pic of my son earlier today. Temps in low 80s with overcast. We even had a slight rain. Perfect way to beat the heat from St. George. Good times with my son.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #698
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Am I being a Wuss?

Hello Friends,

While riding with RRR, et al on my KLR650 (I know, I know) I went down a couple of times in some sand. I am planning some further rides in the next week and August and am thinking of a smaller DS bike.

I also got some new more dirt oriented tires but am wondering if I just need more practice on the KLR. I see people doing all kinds of crazy trails with their big boy DS bikes.

RRR--heading towards Moab next week. Are you in for WRT or other trails? I will send out a PM to others who rode with us.

Thanks,
Simba

Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #699
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post

RRR--heading towards Moab next week. Are you in for WRT or other trails? I will send out a PM to others who rode with us.

Hey Simba -- Thanks for the heads up on your Moab trip next week. Not enough flex in the schedule to make that happen. Will be doing a few canyons (with water) and hanging out at Brian Head to beat the heat of Southern Utah. Remember, rubber side down. Have fun out there! --- RRR

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #700
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Awesome

RRR and crew, man I wish I had made that last trip...looks great. Plus I could have had a fellow KLX250 comrade along! Hope to make the next ride.
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #701
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

4th of July: Brian Head & Subway

Two good ways to beat the heat of St. George for 4th of July weekend. 1) Go to Brian Head, and 2) Find a wet slot canyon in Zion.

Very pleasant temps at Brian Head, mostly in the 70s. Even had a big hail storm yesterday evening. Here's my son earlier in the day doing a "water crossing" on his mightly KLX 110. This right at the base of one of the ski runs, near our condo. We go through here on ATVs all the time so he knows the depth. Still a good job!

Forest service roads take us up on top of the ski runs. He's ready to lead us out. Doesn't want to be in our dust. Smart kid, go first.

For this ride I'm on an ATV, mostly riding sweep. My wife's on the yellow ATV. She's having fun watching the little guy gain confidence on the bike.

Kick-starting the beast at the High Mountain Meadow Overlook. Cedar Breaks is in the background.

Son takes off in the lead again. Great scenery. Nice temps.

He's careful to avoid this water/mud. Not quite bold enough to take on the unknown quite yet. He's only dropped the bike once, and that was several years ago. Cautious rider, takes after his dad.

Fun to watch him set-up and pick his line through the aspen groves.

Hammering the throttle on the long straight stretches, probably 25 mph for the KLX 110. Only 3 gears and no clutch.

Great ride. Back at the top of the ski runs on Navajo Mountain. Son elects to take a different road back into town. He knows this will bring us past the store in the center of town where they sell ice-cream. He's no dummy. Great fun riding around with son and wife. For us, 3 is a good number!

A few days earlier I went down the Subway slot canyon in Zion with my buddy Eddie. We were taking a group of noobs through. Good to have one guy at the top of the rappels and one guy at the bottom. Very fun successful trip. Smiles all around. Here's Eddie on the first rappel, dropping into the interesting part of the canyon.

Air temps are above 100, but water is cold, and there is lots of shade in the canyon. Two of the rookies, emerging from one of the swims. They are impressed by the Subway.

Eddie leading through one of the corridors.

Swim with the "bowling ball" in the background. Water levels are low so it is an easy swim under the bowling ball. At higher water the swim can be substantially trickier.

Showing the way. Lots of clear running springs in the Subway section of the canyon.

Red shoes for RRR at the iconic "North Pole" log.

The group enjoying the Subway. Just after the last rappel. This is the namesake for the canyon.

This water isn't as cold. Worth a quick float.

Leaving the Subway.

Playtime for the noobs at one of the Red Ledges waterfalls.

Soaking, before the slide.

And the water slide.

Last pic. Fantastic scenery in the Subway. Some of the best in Zion. Many famous photos taken at the red ledge waterfalls. From this point it is still several hours to hike out. Best to go slowly and wait for some shade in the later afternoon.

Hope everyone is having a nice 4th of July weekend. Thanks for checkin' in. Keep cool, and keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #702
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,950
WOW!!!! That wet slot canyon looks like a blast!!!

and to watch the boy pick up riding..epic. My little girl is a few years out from her first dirt bike...

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #703
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Fantastic Pics

and good times.
I gotta do The Narrows more than just 1/2 hour. Maybe, we might be in St. George area mid-August.
As usual great pics, RRR.
Simba
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #704
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Awesome shots - next time I come to zion Im hiring you to be my guide !!
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #705
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

I have met RRR---he loves the area so much a Subway sandwich would do it. He will even pay for your gasoline!
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post
Awesome shots - next time I come to zion Im hiring you to be my guide !!