Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #436
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Rear travel is 300 mm. seat height not sure exactly I'll measure but it's got to be 37"

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #437
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,304
That thing is so cool. Your builds are always fun to watch.

Please don't stop there! That is going to look amazing with a Dakar-style fairing on it.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #438
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
Greetings from Dawson City -- Congratulations!!!! well done.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #439
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks don't get your hopes up for any major changes until winter though. This is too much fun of a bike to take apart and work on until the snow falls

Nessmuk
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #440
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post

What did you end up with for seat ht?
38" Somehow it doesn't feel that tall. All my bikes are like that though. My 950S was really tall, my Husky is seriously tall and the FZ1 is also tall. Being that this bike is so narrow it wears it well.

Nessmuk
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #441
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Been riding the bike, no issues so far. Couple minor rattles that I have had to fix.

Measured the wheelbase, right at 59" so the same as a DRZ.

I brought the bike to the start of the Iron Butt Rally yesterday and a couple of they guys who were involved in tech inspection were checking it out. I sauntered up and said,

"Huh, how about that?"

"I hope he's not really planning on riding the IB on that..."

(other guy) "Hey, we should seriously find out, if he's not we can probably get him an entry in the "hopeless" class"

I finally confessed it was mine and they were serious about me getting in. Said if I wrote a 1 pager about why I should be in they would seriously consider it. I think they were yanking my chain They did say it would pass inspection, which was cool.

Still in love

Nessmuk
Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #442
Rambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Looks sweet dude! Your best work yet!
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #443
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks don, we miss you btw!

Nessmuk
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #444
Rambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Thanks don, we miss you btw!
Awww...shucks! Thanks man. I appreciate that.

It had to be done man! It was either myself or bob that had to give in to bring the club back together. Since he's a prick that only cares about himself, I figured I'd take the hit for the sake of the club, plus all that drama was weighing on me heavily! I had to get away from it to clear my mind.

I think I saw you on 51 near zookys yesterday! Was that you on this bike?
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #445
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Haha yeah that was me! I rode to Lisbon OH for business and then was heading back to Cranberry for bike night. I stopped by Ralph's and left one of my new stickers on his garage.

Haven't been updating the thread because I have been riding it. Just a barrel of laughs. Love the motor. Back end needs some more preload or heavier spring. Bike is very tall but I like it that way. Couple adjustments will be made this winter but over all I diggit.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 07:11 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #446
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thought I would give an update. Took the bike down to WV for a 3 day trip to Laurel Fork with my buddies from Pittsburgh.

Just before the trip I took off the forks and completely cleaned the internals. Glad I did as it was nasty. The forks were bought off someone who never changed the oil. Anyways got them super sano clean and refilled with oil. Made a huge difference. That and finally balancing the front wheel got rid of the rythmic throbbing I was getting in the front end.

I had never had them apart and I wanted to swap in some heavier 0.58kg/mm springs anyways. It's hard for me to tell when forks need service, but something didn't seem quite right like they had a lot of stiction.

So tore them apart.

Then I decided that I should swap in the forks from the KTM 690R I bought. So then I had to rebuild them too...How many forks can you have apart at once? 2 pair here if you can spot em.

Then I decided that I wouldn't use the 690 forks and proceeded with the 450 forks. Man, what a mess inside. There was this sticky residue on the inside of the lowers, so bad it took 20 minutes of reaming it out with acetone soaked rags and a pipe. By the time I was done the bore was gleaming like a gun. Popped out the compression stack, stock. I plan to have these revalved at some point so I left it alone.

Then the springs, heavy, wouldn't fit over the black damper rod bumper thing. So I chucked up the entire thing in the lathe and turned it down, came out great. Had to shave off the plastic fuzz with a razor blade after the lathe.

Then I gave it a final cleaning, swapped in the heavier springs and filled with new 5wt fork oil. This is my air gap tool, the hose is 120mm which is the factory spec for the KTM forks. I place the nipple of the syringe on the outer tube and voila, perfect air gap.

Took the bike for a ride and what a difference. Feels awesome, just plush like the Husky. I was flying over curbs and shit pavement and it floated right over it. Before it would bind and stutter. I think it was that crap inside the forks not allowing the damper to do it's job.

Then I pulled the rear shock and added some much needed preload. Ready to rock.

The bike immediately felt much better. The added preload in the back was nice along with the much more plush forks.

About 20 minutes into the ride I got a low fuel warning light which was weird because I had just filled it. So I stripped the tank off and we found a sorta kinked fuel drain line from the main tank to subtank. I unclipped the quick release and found a o-ring cut in half. Great, I'm at a gas station near WV without any idea where I'm going to find an oring. My buddy takes off and comes back in 5 minutes with a four pack. Turns out I have a client literally right around the corner that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and pneumatics and had a ton.

But this wouldn't be the last of my fuel problems. This kept happening and I think I chased it down to the bend in the hose needs to be just right. Not a big deal but it gets annoying and I;ll need to figure out a fix.

So on to the fun stuff like how it's working once the novelty has worn off. I got the chance to ride back to back from a 950SE Erzberg owned and maintained by a Orange level KTM mechanic. It's def not as polished as that bike. Also the suspension wasn't as good. Obviously they are pretty different price point bikes but I would hope I could get close to that. He rode my bike while I rode his for 20 miles. We decided I would lower the forks and shock down to SE height and run the SE valving stack, or close to it. I have ridden 2 Super Enduros with stock valving and just clickers and oil and it is about as close as I can get to ideal for how I ride.

The Ninja is also too tall. I can deal with the seat height but it causes a lot of swingarm droop. Which leads to chain tension issues. So I think the right course is to lose about 2" of travel which will still put it in the 950SE realm of travel by taking it out of the forks and shock. I'll get the suspension geometry closer to where I want it and I think it will improve the whole package.

That said, it's so much fun. I hit 85 mph on some dirt roads and it was just straight as could be. Very stable. It wheelies almost on command. I'm 230# and I can get the front up in second just by whacking the throttle. It has a very fun torque curve, not much screaming on top, but power where you want it. Compared to the SE it doesn't have the hit, but it also feels much lighter.

I like the front brake on the Ninja better than the SE, but the SE wins in the rear brake dept. My Braking setup is a one finger, full on endo type stopping power so it's already really nice.

The seat is very comfortable. I will address the wind protection, as it has none, but I'm used to that. None of my bikes has a wind screen

I thought the Ninja was nice to stand up on, but that was until I tried the SE. I could stand on the pegs for hours on that bike. The shape of the tank prevents your thighs from getting forward to make it truly natural. I can still easily stand up on the pegs but not as nice as the SE.

As far as overall abilities go, I took it through some mild off roading this weekend. Couple rock climbs/ledge stuff, stream crossing, ATV trails, muddy puddle type trails. The power is awesome to wheelie over stuff. I could loft the front end over any water or logs with ease. As easy as my Husky TXC511. There is a clanging from the back and and I think it's the chain when I bottom hard and the chain rubs on the guard. I hope the suspension work fixes that. I had the bike crawling in first at a walking pace following a 950A, KTM 450, 1200GSA and a DR650. It was easily handled. I have a Heidenau K60 on the back and I really like the tire. Whoever convinced me that this was a 6-8k rear needs to see me ride I think if I get 2k out of the back I'll be impressed. I also ride like a complete jagoff roosting and doing wheelies as much as possible.

As far as road handling manners, it's without fault. I put it to the test on Gladys Run road near Alpine WV, one of my favorite all time strafing runs. Felt great, composed, planted, never unsettled. I backed the rear in one corner and was impressed how controlled it was. The front brake will scrub off an impressive amount of speed. Def limited on the tire for traction, front is a Pirelli Scorpion. Bike is doing 73 mph at about 6k and feels comfortable there. I held that for hours today and it felt fine.

Overall I have some tweaking to do, but the basic premise is solid. I think dropping the bike a couple inches and having the suspension worked over will help a huge amount and fix a bunch of problems I am having from it being too tall. I also don't need 12" of travel anyways. I'd like to get the rally fairing on this winter and then I can break it back down to finish the paint etc.

I do really love that motor though. It's plenty fast enough to get to very illegal speeds quickly, but can also crawl along at trail speed. The hit from the motor also comes early so it works very well as a ADV bike. Back when the SE rider and I switched back to out respective bikes, we caught each other's eye as we were headed up a steep mountain grade with 2 climbing lanes. We both dropped it and I wrung that poor Ninja's neck. To redline in every gear all the way to holding 5th gear pinned. He pulled me at the end but I was still impressed to have hung on that long. Later on that day I was joking with him and said "You had it pinned right?"

"Nah, I was just trying to make you feel good"

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 08:12 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #447
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,452
Nice!
I've put over 1600 miles on mine, about 1400 of that was offroad & I'm really digging the bike as well. I regulary ride with Orange SE's & Adventures. I rate the offroad capability between the two. I'm really enjoyng the fuel economy/range. Easy 200 mles between fuel stops, the Orange crowd get a little panicky way before that

I went with a 150 Mefo Super Explorer rear, it should make 4k & the tracton is suprizingly good, the TKC front is Just OK offroad (tends to push, controllable, but pushes), quiet & well mannered on the road.
The ADV Monster headlight fairing kills just enough wind.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #448
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I don't get anywhere near 200 miles, and I have more fuel than you.

I'm having trouble reliably calculating the MPG because the fuel is constantly getting trapped in the main tank and setting off the fuel light in the sub tank. And when I do fill it, it's hard to tell how much I added because the fuel is trying to drain into the subtank while I'm filling. I need to do a longer fuel study over 1000 miles and keep track of gallons used so I can get a better handle on real world MPGs.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say the Ninja slots in between the ADV and the SE. I rode with a 990 ADV and a 950SE this weekend. Both bikes would walk away from mine on road. I like the suspension of the SE better offroad. I think if I get the bike lowered and run better valving it would compare to the ADV. The SE beats it hands down in almost every dept though. It's much more comfortable to stand for a long time, has better stability, not as stretched in the cockpit.

And as much as I absolutely ADORE the carb'd 950 motor, I do give the edge to the 650 for an ADV bike. It's more friendly and forgiving if you want it to be but it will also easily haul the ball when pushed. I wish I was getting 50 mpg to seal the deal but I suspect I'm in the 30-40's. Like I said, I was riding like a complete idiot. If I behaved, maybe I could get it to 50. But that's a big maybe. On me behaving that is.

Nessmuk
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #449
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Sounds like you are enjoying your creation

Owning both a Dirt Ninja and an SE, it seems that the Ernge bike always needs something, while the DN just keeps giving and giving. All that after I left the DN in the woods as a write off for a couple of weeks.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #450
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,452
I'm running the Versys fuel tank (5.4 gallons) & over 1600 miles my average corrected mpg is 42. My comparison to the two bikes was for OFFROAD. On road, yeah the 990 I used to own definately had more power, but I don't think it handled as well as the Ninja on or offroad I'm sure mostly because of the added weight. The SE, yes it would have an edge on my build in gnarly high speed stuff no doubt. Your build is more dirt oriented than mine, but mine continues to impress me for exploration/adventure rides.

I have my KTM for stuff like this past Saturday;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post22286891