Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #196
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 371
Best race weekend of the last couple of years!!

Takeaways;

Lorenzo is a very brave young man. Holy crap!
Rossi isn't done, he looked in near perfect form.
Cal ran a very smart and impressive race. He's right there if he gets the first few laps sorted.
Marq has some serious racecraft chops. Some classic blocking lines in the last few laps.
Pedro is riding smart, just wasn't his day.
Ducati 34 seconds back ... that number hasn't changed much since Stoner left. Whatever Audi has brought to the party hasn't helped yet.
The helicopter shots showed the Yamaha late braking advantage and the Honda acceleration advantage very well. Good stuff.
Cal scored serious points with Yam by being so polite with Lorenzo.
Great 3 day coverage, live video subscription is definitely the way to go.

and Questions;

Did Marq brake check Cal or did Cal get in a little hot?
Has Cal Really signed with Ducati for the next two years?
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #197
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
Has Cal Really signed with Ducati for the next two years?
Looking at today's race results, IF CC has signed to jump ship it either has to be for one friggin' HUGE boatload of $$ or Cal is insane.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #198
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Looking at today's race results, IF CC has signed to jump ship it either has to be for one friggin' HUGE boatload of $$ or Cal is insane.
Once again we have to ask how long It will take for Audi to make it better.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #199
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Ducati Corse is clueless, been this way for years now -- but Audi WILL know how to fix that bike??? oookay. I believe it, when I see it.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #200
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Rossi said after the race that he could not quite believe what had just happened.

Have to admit I feel much the same. During the race his performance seemed too good to be true. Slicing past those Hondas and then racing away. I was pretty sure that (a) his tyre would go off, or (b) he'd get over-excited at being back after so long and would outbrake himself, lose the front and get hurt. Possibly on the very last lap. (Yeah, I am kind of a pessimist. )

Great ride. There was one fast corner he seemed to get into much quicker than anybody, where I thought he made up most of his time. I know Marquez was hurting but suddenly those Honda riders looked like Earthlings.

As for Lorenzo ... what can you say. Bradl and Bautista must be wondering whether they're in the wrong game.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #201
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Hopefully he's just trying to leverage his position. But the grass is always greener...

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #202
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,837
Yay for Rossi, I feel like this has always still been there, I just think his head hasn't been right (feeling his age and mortality against the young guns) and kinda feel (bummed) it took taking jorge out of the equation for him to feel capable and confident enough to win again.

And Jorge, that boy is born again hard. He doesn't need to try to be Rossi with the antics, being a badass like that gets the respect.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #203
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Yay for Rossi, I feel like this has always still been there, I just think his head hasn't been right (feeling his age and mortality against the young guns) and kinda feel (bummed) it took taking jorge out of the equation for him to feel capable and confident enough to win again.
I think basically it is the new fork he is so happy about. He said that finally the bike felt good so he stopped aiming for the podium and started aiming for the win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
And Jorge, that boy is born again hard. He doesn't need to try to be Rossi with the antics, being a badass like that gets the respect.
Also very nice words from him just after the race. An Italian journalist after the race called him "hero of the day, just like the old time pilots" so he answered "Hero, me? No, heroes are those that carry on 'til the end of the month. I get plenty of money to do this, try my best and live a beautiful life."
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #204
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
That truck carrying all the money and superior Audi engineering must have got lost on the way from Germany to Italy. I hope no one is holding his or her breath waiting for it to arrive. I'd think there is no incentive for Audi to dump ten or tweny million into the Ducati MotoGP effort when bike sales are very strong.

Historic effort by Lorenzo today and my favorite of the many stories from this race which include fantastic rides by Rossi, Crutchlow, Marquez and Espargaro.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #205
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Didn't see the race, but glad to hear VR is back on top! And JL has gone up several notches on my scale! I've raced and broken my collar bone, but can't imagine doing both, especially at a much, much higher level!?! Respect! And MM is no wimp either, racing with at least two broken bones!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #206
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 890
Impressive ride by Lorenzo, nobody thought he would be riding yesterday and he only gave up 2 points to Pedrosa in the race.

Rossi must feel a great weight off his shoulders after that win, it's been hard to watch him struggle to get near the front after getting of the Ducati.

Marquez and Crutchlow are like two rolling train wrecks, I get nervous every time they get near another rider as they are very unpredictable in what's going to happen.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #207
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
That Brit is coming!
I'm not so sure. I like him for lots of reasons but I think he's missing some important things: smooths and smarts. I think he'll be Occasional Podium Guy and that's it. Not that that's the worst thing! I just don't see him being at the level of capital "A" alien.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #208
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Ducati Corse is clueless, been this way for years now -- but Audi WILL know how to fix that bike??? oookay. I believe it, when I see it.
It's easy to criticize ... but as a Ducati owner and fan of the marque as well as both Hayden and Dovi, I'm running out of hope. And I think their WSBK position is even worse than MotoGP, in some ways.

BTW, Rossi's Facebook page had almost 100K likes in an hour after the race. Almost ten times as many as Jorge's.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #209
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
He needs to stop taking such silly lunges.
I think he will. He stayed on two wheels all weekend long. Very often he was the fastest man on the track once he got by Lorenzo. I'm starting to like that fellow, mouth and all.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #210
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
Haha what an intense last few laps. Cal going after MM, and WHOOOOAAAAA CRAP I was just waiting for something to go wrong with Rossi's bike, out of gas, something craps out, just whoa intense right there. For me at least.

Pretty stellar race. What happened with Pedrosa? He just was laters and faded way way back, tires go off?
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote