Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
MiddleEarth OP
Year 2

Oddometer: 41
Jasper National Park 2012 - Noob's Practice RR - A Visit in July and Again in Sept

July 12th; Passed my class 6 road test, let the mid-life crisis begin! Much to thy wife's displeasure after 20 something years I've finally got me a motorbike. Immediately cost me a hot tub to assuage her misgivings, bike farkle already off to an expensive start!

July 13th; The first big ride! 800km east to Edmonton with all day Friday in Jasper National Park to mooch about the place.

MiddleEarth screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 09:18 AM
MiddleEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Too bad the pics aren't showing up. As an Edmontonian, I've spent a lot of gas going back and forth from Jasper to home. Would like to hear/see more about your trip!
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
Wow. Even your clap doesn't show up. You writing with a Commodore 64?

Sadly, on my Coast to Coast I was only able to wave as I passed Jasper. Let's see if you can post pics!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
MiddleEarth OP
Year 2

This should be easy??

New at this forum stuff, this is my practice thread. Learnings to date; cant drag and drop the smilies, that dont work.

Anyone with insight on what's a good image size to post? What is a good free site to dump pics to that I can paste in links from.

The end goal; Get this all working on the Galaxy S4 before next week so I can leave the laptop at home. Then while sitting with a beer at the end of the day upload a few pics daily and make a few brilliant comments.

MiddleEarth screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 08:54 AM
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
MiddleEarth OP
Year 2

Edith Cavell

Arrived in Jasper in time for breakfast, my hosts in Edmonton are at work... what to do while waiting? It a fabulous day and the locals are quick to suggest a number of places a bike will have a blast. First and foremost go see Edith Cavell! the road is newly paved the year before and lots of twisties and no motorhomes or long trailers allowed. And then theres Pyrimid Lake, Maligne Lake... time to ride! First stop Edith Cavell.

When you're dragging a peg at 25km/h around the switchback you know its a tight turn, awesome twisties!

2 weeks after I visited here I learned I was one of the last people to be there since, a fews days after I was there a very large chunk calved off Angel Glacier into the lake below and the tsunami (are they called Tsunami when they are lakes??) wiped out the park. It is still closed to the public and being rebuilt.

MiddleEarth screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 10:24 AM
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
MiddleEarth OP
Year 2

Medicine Lake, Maligne Lake & Maligne Canyon

Where too after lunch? Local advise; If you got the time take the road out to Maligne Lake! They were half right!

Should have hit this road before all the buses got on the road... 60km/h is the posted limit and even that would have been a pleasure to achieve.

I wonder what they pay this guy to pose for all the tourists?

Medicine Lake July 12th... just a bit full!
According to the sign the lake is full for only a brief time each spring during spring runoff and the fractures in the bedrock below the lake cant handle the volume. The rest of the year the river leaving the lake is bone dry. The river reappears some number of km's downstream just before Maligne Canyon.

(Preview) Medicine Lake Sept 24th... not so full!

Maligne Lake was a bit anti-climatic after the long haul behind many tourist buses. But still pretty nice place.

The day is disappearing and my arrival in Edmonton is definitively getting later but I'm here now and should stop in and see Maligne Canyon. Particularly exciting given all the highwater, its a continuous torrent of white water and thunder.

Damn but its time to gedd'er to Edmonton! Must return and see how low Medicine Lake will be in late summer...

MiddleEarth screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 11:17 AM
Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
MiddleEarth OP
Year 2

Sept 24th, season is almost over, one last spin on the bike back to Jasper

Was supposed to do a couple days in Banff but life s**t on those plans. One day in Jasper will have to do, and it was awesome

Forecast of PG - rain all day, forecast in Jasper - sun all day!! Going the right direction!

Hey Mount Robson isn't hiding behind its own cloud today, a good sign!

Straight to medicine lake to check out the water level, as the sign said by late summer there is very little water left.

The riverbed coming out of the lake. During the July visit the access to this area was closed due to high water, not so high anymore.

This time I got up to Pyramid Lake, nice twistie little road up to the lake, not very long, this lake is only 10-15minutes north from Jasper.

The leaves are turning, winters a coming, we'll all be skiing soon.

Time to head home and park the bike till next season. Been a great day and time to plan out a longer trip... Banff, Montana, Okanagan, Washington are all on the bucket list for 2013.

MiddleEarth screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 12:13 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Nice pics, MiddleEarth! Beautiful area!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote