Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #61
Mighty Kentor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Thanks for the update! I love Crater Lake also. :)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #62
Isotope
Mostly homeless

Oddometer: 867
If you're passing through Saskatoon and need a place, PM me.

1984 Honda VF750F Interceptor
1998 BMW R1200C
2008 BMW R1200GS ADV
Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Next up was heading back East to the coast to check out Redwood National Park. I was glad to get back on the 101 and see some more coast, the fog lifted and I was treated to some splendid views.

I planned to make camp in the park, but a $35 camp fee made me balk. I'm of the opinion that camping should be cheap or free, not motel money. The guy working the station was kind enough to give me directions to a great little free spot to pitch a tent, just at the base of one of the sights I wanted to see anyways, the Lady Bird Johnson Grove. Driving up this little beat up road to the grove was like stepping into Jurassic Park. All of a sudden I was in the middle of dense fog and huge trees, trying to pick my jaw off the ground.

I walked up to one of the giant trees to give it a hug, but changed my mind after I realized it was covered in crawlies.

This one was funny, I read the sign showing some of the wildlife in the area and a blurb about banana slugs. Thinking I'd have to look pretty hard to find one of these things, it hits me that there is a nice fat one crawling on the sign itself, probably saying hi to his 2D buddy.

There have been many spots on this trip where I've stood in a stunned silence, just appreciating how special of a place I'm standing in. This is one of those spots.

pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #64
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

that night was the first attempt at stealth camping. Technically I was on private land so I was a little nervous, but when I rolled in there was a group with a subaru who also pitched a tent which eased my mind a bit. Riding along the banks of the creek was nerve wracking. Loose marble sized rocks and some really choppy terrain led to the closest flat area where I could erect (hehe) my tent, and I had a few nervous moments. The duke is very top heavy with the improvised luggage, so once it starts to tip it is hard to stop. More on this later.

I managed to avoid mishap, and probably today this has been the roughest offroad I've done on the duke as in places I was hanging up the belly pan.

It got dark quick so I skipped the camp fire, scarfed down a couple of granola bars, and went straight to bed. A couple hours after dark, I hear a pickup truck coming up the creek bank. Hoping its not the owners, I peer out of my tent for a look. A beat up truck stops 20 feet from my bike. I'm thinking wtf do these guys want? I start reaching for my flashlight and bear spray. All of a sudden, buddy lights up a joint and his friend cranks up the subs, booming some crappy music. Fantastic. They sit there for another half hour getting high and listening to shitty music. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with weed, but why you would want to pull up to a motorcycle and a tent in the middle of nowhere and spark one up, I can't quite comprehend. Especially when they could have drove a few hundred yards down the road instead of waking up someone sleeping in their tent. I briefly considered going outside and telling them to get lost, but decided not to start any trouble, as I am in the middle of nowhere and there are at least 2 of them and one of me. Fortunately they finished their business and drove off shortly afterwards. So there was the drama laden first stealth camp experience. Sadly this was the first but not the last time stealth camping bit me in the ass...

pne screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 10:09 PM
Old 06-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #65
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Your pics are terrific and thanks for posting; I am gleaning a few good ideas here. My wife and I kick off our ride in Portland in just under four weeks and we are enthused and inspired by reports like yours. (Although my wife will NOT camp anywhere! lol)

Ride safe.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #66
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Thumb

You've learned well . . . . . .

The place here that you've captured (Hiway 20)is precisely the spot where a young Australian bloke (bicycling) was squashed like a bug back in the late 90's as a huge boulder fell down from above; notice the hiway no longer skirts that cliff . . . . . . Thanks WADOT !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #67
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

anyone in southern CO or northern NM willing to host a guy over the 4th of July weekend? Being a Canadian I've never experienced this holiday but I am guessing most camp grounds are going to be packed. Not really sure what to expect so I'm really hoping to hook up with someone who can show me around. If I can't find anything I'll probably try to grab a motel in Taos so I can walkabout that evening.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #68
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 381
Well he made it to the Redding, CA area in June

Here is our picture of or noble rider at our "tent Space" near Redding, Ca

Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #69
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 259
Awesome trip. I just got back from a similar trip a few weeks ago. I'm starting to see a trend as I am also an engineer experiencing a 1/4 life crisis. Have fun!
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #70
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post

There have been many spots on this trip where I've stood in a stunned silence, just appreciating how special of a place I'm standing in. This is one of those spots.

That thought, pictures like that-yeah, I'm subscribed.

Have you thought about figuring out how to pack your weight lower on the bike?
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #71
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Good stuff

Good RR & quite nice pics as well :-d

Cheers!
--
Wim
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #72
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I'm in!
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #73
TanMcG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
The donkey in your first post made me laugh and I love your story telling style

Beautiful pics too. Thanks for sharing!
TanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #74
wandrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Great read. I'm in.

A fan of anything with two wheels and an engine.
wandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #75
venneman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I think you've already passed through Denver. Too bad, I'd have happily put you up and bought beers.
venneman is offline   Reply With Quote