Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #76
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
You can run sequential, back to back iron-butts on the way to Cal.
have a great trip.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #77
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I ran from Kasilof to Fairbanks (Parks Highway) leaving at 6:40 AM on June 20 and returning to Soldotna (Same Route) at 4:17 on June 21. My 1st issue was with my first gas receipt the time was about 2 hours off (mom and pop credit card pump no one there at 6:40 in the morning. Don't do it, learn from my mistake.) 2nd issue road construction, I lost a ton of time and was in trouble before I reached Fairbanks, Things improved on my return with road construction stopped for the night and I was able to make good time coming back until just outside (40 miles) of Soldotna I got stopped in Road construction, I had been stopped right there the previous morning for well over an hour and this whole trip came down to what happened right there this time. I was stopped for maybe 20 minutes and then got to go.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #78
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Couple last days on my trip , I ran from fort Nelson BC,CA to Tok,AK..

Unfortunately I' was a few miles short !!!
Will have to attempt it agian .

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #79
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Did an undocumented one on my R100R. Went Anchorage/Fairbanks/Delta/Dot Lake. We pretty much rode till our odometers went over the 500 mark, turned around, and returned via the same route. Very unscientific!

Did a real IBA SS1000 and got a cert, a couple years ago on my Road Glide. Went Anchorage/Fairbanks/Delta/Tok/Beaver Creek/Haines Junction/Haines. Really awesome ride! The road from Haines Junction to Haines was fantastic. No traffic, no cops, and the road condition was super.

Definitely plan to do one on the KLR, once I get in some more time in its saddle, and make sure everything is up to snuff mechanically. When I bought it, the rear tire was on backwards! Will take it from Fairbanks to home in Eagle River next week, when I go home for the 4th and take a break. Should be a good shakedown run. Get a feel for fuel and oil consumption, etc....

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #80
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Wrong direction sir.
From Fairbanks, one properly steers a KLR NORTH.
The Dalton highway is calling you.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #81
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Wrong direction sir.
From Fairbanks, one properly steers a KLR NORTH.
The Dalton highway is calling you.
:)

I definitely plan to do a HR trip on the KLR. Have driven it at least a hundred times in a pickup, and have always wanted to do it on two wheels. Part of the reson behind buying the KLR, actually.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #82
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Since we are in the buns of steel thread, I should mention my July 4th 2010 Dalton-DASH.
Homer to Deadhorse. 1100 miles in 30 hours.
10 hour lay-over at Camp Deadhorse, (breakfast, shower, nap)
Deadhorse to Homer return trip in 28 hours.
. Total 2200 miles, elapsed time 68 hours.

KLR used only half a quart of oil.
(The other half I poured on the drive chain)
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #83
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Since we are in the buns of steel thread, I should mention my July 4th 2010 Dalton-DASH.
Homer to Deadhorse. 1100 miles in 30 hours.
10 hour lay-over at Camp Deadhorse, (breakfast, shower, nap)
Deadhorse to Homer return trip in 28 hours.
. Total 2200 miles, elapsed time 68 hours.

KLR used only half a quart of oil.
(The other half I poured on the drive chain)
Damn, what a run!

Jeff
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #84
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

It was epic.
Ordered a Corbin saddle for the KLR the NEXT day.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #85
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
This was a fail this summer, but there's still time ! Has anyone still thought of doing this ??

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #86
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
This was a fail this summer, but there's still time ! Has anyone still thought of doing this ??

For several years now there has been an annual Memorial Ride to honor fallen riders. The original plan was to have rider in all 50 states complete an Iron Butt ride on the same day, in late October. While I was too busy to attempt it last year, the year before, after receiving special dispensation to move the date earlier in the month, I started one from Glennallen via Valdez, but snow, sleet, and hail through Thompson Pass, with worse forecast for roads farther north, convinced me to put it off for another week. The next week, weather was a bit chilly but clear, with the thermometer reading 8F as I passed through Slana, and clear up to 25 when I gassed up in Tok. The 60 miles of rutted ice on the road into, and out of, Tok was no problem on the Wing, but as I headed out of Fairbanks down the Parks Hwy a veritable blizzard had me wondering if I really wanted to risk being trapped in Nenana, so I turned around about 15 miles out and headed back east. The ride down through Isabel Pass was on nice, dry roads. There was the temptation to run into Anchorage and back out, as I had completed over 635 miles by the time I arrived back in Glennallen, but I was still recovering from a bout of shingles, so decided to call it off.

The organizer of the ride - Howard Entman - agrees that Alaska should be a special case, so doing the ride in September will qualify as completing it on schedule. Therefore, I'm planning on doing it sometime around the middle of the month - weather permitting. Rain and cold we can handle. Riding in snowstorms, surrounded by cages whose drivers have forgotten everything they ever learned about driving on slick roads, is suicidal so we avoid that.

All that to say - yep, I'm planning on doing another SS1K before winter sets in, and welcome company.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #87
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 934
Give us some warning Jack, I would like to give it a shot too.
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #88
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
Give us some warning Jack, I would like to give it a shot too.
Will do. Hoping to get my aux tank fixed first, but things have been hectic, with winter drawing relentlessly closer.

For most riders I would imagine a weekend ride would fit their schedule best. How 'bout it, for anyone who might be thinking of this?
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #89
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Will do. Hoping to get my aux tank fixed first, but things have been hectic, with winter drawing relentlessly closer.

For most riders I would imagine a weekend ride would fit their schedule best. How 'bout it, for anyone who might be thinking of this?
I'm interested but not sure I can get a pass. Watching the thread and crossing my fingers!

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #90
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Taking A Poll

Just an informal poll - among those who might do a 1K ride in September:
1. What day(s) of the week work best for you?

2. Where do you live/want to begin your ride?

3. Do you like starting early in the morning or closer to noon?

For riders starting and ending in Anchorage, a gas station on Muldoon near the Glenn Hwy is pretty good in that you won't have to fight city traffic before getting on the highway. Farther toward the city center won't help because it won't add enough miles to make a difference in the overall route. An Anchorage rider starting on Muldoon could finish the ride in Palmer with around 1070 miles - a comfortable safety margin.

While Isabel Pass (between Glennallen and Delta Jct) looks to be a good alternative if sufficient miles are found elsewhere, weather through there can be good... or terrible. The long way around, via Tok, is generally a safer bet. In any case, a run to Valdez and back up will be required to provide the necessary 1000+ miles.

The weather is going to be more and more of an issue as summer draws to a close. Average temperature for the circle route right now would be around 50. That is, if it hits 65 during the day, you can expect to find yourself riding at 35 late that same night. Snow has come w-a-a-y down on the Wrangells in the past two days.

Gotta hurry up before it's time to park the bikes again!
Haul Road Primer