User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Wdwrkr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,788
Rawhide adventures first course

I'm not sure if thisnis the place to post this, or there will be much interest, but I thought there may be other here interested in the Rayhyde school, and learning to be more proficient off road. I am currentlynat the rawhide adventure campus in Colorado, taking there first course and thought I'd share the experience in case others were interested and to shy to ask.

I've ridden off pavement a fair bit, but off road very little, if you know what I mean. Secondary roads, and Forrest roads don't faze me, and I've managed to quench my adventure needs through them, but it is time to up the game for myself, and I want to open more terrain to explore. A few to many good dumps, and my bikes occasional (might be nice way of putting it) naps have taught me a few painful lessons, I'm hoping some education might save me some more.

I flew in from Mass. On Thursday, rented a car and drove from Colorado Springs to Hartsel. A beautiful ride really, which already has me planning a return trip on the GSA in September when I have time to explore. The garden of the gods, and pikes peak were breath taking. I'll post pics when I get home to a real computer, as I'm notmsure how to post from the iPad. The school is in the middle of timbucktoo CO, but jim's directions were spot on, and finding it was pretty easy, though I admit to wondering if I had made a wrong turn a few times. Upon ariving the welcome was fantasic. People seemed more then happy to meet everyone, and remembering my fathers advice as a youth (stick out yourmhand and introduce yourself son) proved useful again.

The accommodations were all set up. I was pointed at my tent told to stow my gear and come back out to meet my bike.

A bit more later it's breakfast time here and I need to get going. They keep you busy trying to maximize yourntime and investment.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Looking forward to seeing some pic's and tell us what you thing of the program. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,541
I'd never heard of this course. Looking forward to hearing your impressions and of course viewing your PICS
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
I've never taken the courses, but I did the continental divide ride with Rawhyde last summer. I think Jim puts on a first class event, so I have no doubt the classes are worthwhile. Most of the folks I met on the ride had done many of the classes and signed up for the ride. I think that speaks to the quality of the outfit. Its not cheap, but I have great memories of the continental divide ride, and my wife enjoyed it also. I would do another ride with them anytime.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
...I flew in from Mass. On Thursday, rented a car and drove from Colorado Springs to Hartsel....
Long way to go (not riding) for a course. Is there really nothing closer that could teach you similar?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
That name scares me.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
Wdwrkr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Long way to go (not riding) for a course. Is there really nothing closer that could teach you similar?
Well Max does do a couple mini clinics in NY (one coming up next week I heard about after I had registered), but no there isn't not that I have found to date. rawhyde has such a good reputation that I want to check it out anyway (I'm glad I did too), and I'm goingnto follow this up with a 2 day ride over four passes ofnthe continental divide with Jim and his staff, which I hope will help set some good habits.

I wanted to be able to ride with you , there just are not that many of us out east comparatively
Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Wdwrkr OP
Beastly Adventurer

So on with the story. Time is short here. They keep you busy all day and finding time to type is difficult. There is so much to see and learn from the others.

I arrived early for the pre training orientation (I'm glad I did). We received our bikes and were asked to make a pre school inspection. Mine a 2012 1200gs had certainly seen a nap or two . I was happy to see this as I expected it to take a few more (it has). They are not concerned with minor damages, and tell you so. Then they explain what they will teach you, and tell us not to be concerned with not getting it at first as it is a very different technique to street riding (almost opposit I'd say), and that this is a building game. They gave a demonstration of proper turning technique, up hill and down hill posture, braking and off we went for 4 hours of drills to see if we paid attention.

Much of this I already knew, but there were some very helpful tips, and Sean, and Lance were diligent about tapping me on the shoulder and giving advice. We worked primarily on speed control, and traction, eye placement, then we got into turning. I personally wasn't all that comfortable at first with this technique of de weighting the low side of the bike, as it is very opposite of cornering at speeds on pavement, but I came to learn (I'm tired of bruises, and bumps) so imgave it the old college try and it seemed to work pretty well. A couple of cone drills later I was feeling pretty confident, and road 12 miles back to camp thinking I can do this, and that I had one of the better students in the class. All in all a worthwhile experience that really boosted my confidence. There were 11 of us and only on dropped bike for the day (a stat that changes radically on day two), so all in all fantastic.

We returned to camp to meet the other riders, have a more formal orientation, and a fantastic dinner of Mahi Mahi, a few beverages and shut eye awaiting day two...