User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thanx
This forum is my big inspiration, here you can find a lot of nice ideas.

This is example, me, GF pillion and LOT of stuf on bike (total 425 kilos) cruising on gravel :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2V4JcPsEso

And this is solo example on some forest road :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Tp..._80fA&index=31

This one i found somewhere on superdream uk forum, i think :

Cheers

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Love the color on that, very nice!

So a leaking valve cover on Friday turned into a sheared valve cover bolt, which turned into a broken bolt extractor IN the bolt, which turned into having it towed to the shop, which turned into a cracked Cam Holder on Tuesday.

Now I'm trying to find a wrecker which has one in Canada and will overnight ship it, because the fastest I can get one from Japan is 3 weeks and it'll cost me nearly $200. Half the price of the damn engine.

EDIT: Went and bought a damn engine. It only has 20k km on it compared to the nearly 60 on my current engine, so I'll do a full rebuild of it over the winter and swap them in the springtime. Still, $400, damn.

Azazel screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 09:40 AM
Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Everything was going great and then my friend dropped the bike and snapped off the shifter knob. Had to ride it home for an hour shifting using just the lever arm, in Vancouver. Terrifying.

Since everywhere is closed for the long weekend, it was time to do metalwork:
http://imgur.com/a/Loq19
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
those ammo cans can be lightened by removing the extra -not needed reinforcements and handles. they seem sturdy enough that no frame would be required but just weld doublers at the support arm locations and to save some additional weight cut out sections to replace them with aluminum,the top being first.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Well, it was a fantastic summer. Had some great trips (Hurley FSR & Bridge River to Lilloett in BC, if you ever get the chance to ride this in August: DO IT), but now the time has come to take what I've learned and tear the bike down completely this winter and drop the "new" 20,000km crankcase into the frame to replace the current 60,000km one which is burning oil and shifts super loose. Getting H&R'd while parked, and flipped over in the process, was the finishing blow for the current build.

Something which is bothering me is that after a day of riding offroad, my chain is so loose that it's rubbing directly on my swingarm. Understandably, this freaks me out. Is there anything I can do short of stopping and pulling the rear wheel back every few hours?

Azazel screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 04:06 PM
Old 11-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel View Post

Well, it was a fantastic summer. Had some great trips (Hurley FSR & Bridge River to Lilloett in BC, if you ever get the chance to ride this in August: DO IT), but now the time has come to take what I've learned and tear the bike down completely this winter and drop the "new" 20,000km crankcase into the frame to replace the current 60,000km one which is burning oil and shifts super loose.

Something which is bothering me is that after a day of riding offroad, my chain is so loose that it's rubbing directly on my swingarm. Understandably, this freaks me out. Is there anything I can do short of stopping and pulling the rear wheel back every few hours?
You're in Vancouver? Huh! Small world 'n all that.

A 1980 CB400T was my first street-only bike. By street-only I really mean my first non-dirt bike or dualsport bike, but that didn't stop me from going off road on it heh heh.

I put over 120K on that one, rode it to Mexico and back, took my girl to Prom on it. Have so many fond memories of that bike.

Then got a 1982 CB450T second hand for $900.00 (in 1985-ish) and raced it at Westwood. Which I'm hoping you are old enough to even know about or remember, lol.

Funny, I didn't think the CM450 engines were different than the CB450T's, but I don't seem to see the little finned sump oil "cooler" sticking down on your bike? Curious.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Hah, the bike is actually about ten years older than I am! The oil cooler is there, it's just got a giant gap in the middle where the fins were sheared off in the crash that totaled the donor bike for that engine (or so I was told). Part of the reason I'm swapping out the whole bottom end this winter.

I love this bike, it handles everything I throw at it. From redlining the Coquihalla to crawling up FSR's that make guys on enduros give me crazy looks when they pass by!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Tore down the on-frame 55k engine this weekend, and just in time. Now I know why it was eating oil all summer!

My rebuild of assorted parts is now such a hilarious frankensteins monster:
- Crankcase & Pistons off 22k engine, new gaskets & rings.
- Cylinders & Cam head off 55k engine, check tolerances & hone.
- Camshaft off 22k engine.

What a mess.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Sending this in to get checked out by a shop since I don't have the tools. Hopefully the undersides look better...

...Because my backup head is 100% gone to rusted town and it isn't coming back.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
It'll buff out!

Seriously, though, I'd scrub & derust them both good and lap the valves a little and see if they seal up. I'd give you good odds of having two usable heads there... Can't hardly tell from here, but it doesn't look like any of the valves are burned to me (though the one exhaust valve on the upper head looks a little odd, maybe, and maybe they are all pitted underneath...). Though there is a distinct possibility that I don't know what I am talking about... Did you keep your valve clearances in spec?
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Mine was prone to a little over heating (the '80 400T) and started to smoke and burn oil around 80,000 km's I think it was. I rebuilt it, and discovered the pistons were scored and melty looking around the upper circumference, and the crowns were a black carbonized mess. The inlet valves were ok, but both my exhaust valves were burned and one had a big crack in it!

It was fine for many more years and miles until I bought the 450T, and I ended up giving her to my best friend to start him off in motorcycling.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
It'll buff out!

Seriously, though, I'd scrub & derust them both good and lap the valves a little and see if they seal up. I'd give you good odds of having two usable heads there... Can't hardly tell from here, but it doesn't look like any of the valves are burned to me (though the one exhaust valve on the upper head looks a little odd, maybe, and maybe they are all pitted underneath...). Though there is a distinct possibility that I don't know what I am talking about... Did you keep your valve clearances in spec?
Top right exhaust valve is just displaying a scratch through the carbon that I put there when probing how much buildup was everywhere. I'm taking it in for inspection, as it came off the 55,000km engine.

The bottom head is worse than it looks, I shined a light up the carb ports and the stems are growing rust forests on them. The two right side injection valves look pristine, but everything else aside from the block itself may be unsalvagable.

I suppose if the valves are pitted I'm pretty much resigned to playing Ebay Roulette on head assembly's, aren't I? They certainly don't sell the OEMs anywhere.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Hmmm, maybe....

I am getting ready to tear one of these motors down. If it is worth rebuilding, that's what I'll do, but if it's not worth messing with than I may end up with some extra valves I'd be looking to get rid of... No promises of any sort, but... You know...

Edit: Really though, I am surprised by how bad something can look at first blush and then how nicely it'll clean up and go back together and run... My CB400T was bordering on being a parts bike when I got it (and it's still an ugly rusty piece of junk), but it runs pretty darn good for a 35 year old heap... I bet the rust will clean up ok. Maybe still burn a little oil through the valve seals if the rust has migrated up that far and leaves some places for the oil to work down into the combustion chamber, but still run ok... Maybe. As long as the valve seating surfaces aren't too far gone to be smoothed out to seal good. A little oil down there might help with valve life anyway. I hear stories of people with really old stuff mixing some 2-stroke oil into their gas to help keep the valve seats from wearing.

Standard Disclaimer: I may not know what I am talking about, so, you know, take my opinions with a healthy grain of salt.

Leaf screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 06:13 PM
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Nice project, I have a '78 CB400TII that I plan on doing somthing with. It was my first bike and I still have it despite a couple dozen others coming and going over time. I'm leaning towards building it as a scrabler type bike with some slightly increased suspensino travel / ride height and posibly some luggage of sorts. Right now it's sitting in three different crates waiting for re-assembly
Old 11-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Thanks Leaf, that's very kind of you. I called a few shops and they basically acted like I was retarded for asking about a valve inspection on a head that's already off the engine, so I guess I'm going all-in on a bedroom rebuild here.

Gstanfield, I just picked up this old aluminum Krauser rack off Ebay for about $130. You'll have to fabricate the mounts out of flat steel, but they are perf for the frame:

Azazel screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 06:26 PM