Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #271
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Corinth would make a nice midpoint for a loop that would run back through Waynesboro, TN. Mike's Cycle Shop is in Waynesboro and he has a similar collection, but not as cleaned up. He is a Ural and Royal Enfield dealer.

There is also a well known BMW restorer and dealer in Sturgis, MS I want to ride to some day. He is farther south than Corinth.
http://benchmarkworks.com/

All three of these locations would put you near Natchez Trace Parkway. This is a beautiful but not twisty ride from Nashville to Natchez, MS.

Natchez, MS would put you near Angola, LA. Angola has a prison with a very interesting museum at the front gate and from there...
Sounds interesting. Do you have a good route out to Corinth? Taking Alt 72 is the quickest way for me but not very interesting.

I'm also planning on heading north and east into TN some time. I have heard there are some nice twisty roads up that way.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #272
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Sounds interesting. Do you have a good route out to Corinth? Taking Alt 72 is the quickest way for me but not very interesting.

I'm also planning on heading north and east into TN some time. I have heard there are some nice twisty roads up that way.

Hi, Win.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #273
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

Hi, Win.
Hi Jerry,

I'm planning on making it up your way sometime this year.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #274
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,957
Give me a shout.

I haven't made it to BRMC yet.

Maybe we can do lunch at TWO?

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #275
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Give me a shout.

I haven't made it to BRMC yet.

Maybe we can do lunch at TWO?
Sounds like a plan. Speaking of TWO, it's now called TWoS, Two Wheels of Suches. I have had lunch there a couple of times already. Here's a few pics I took on my rides there.

The new $80k bath house under construction.

My trusty old XT350 on Hwy 60 north of TWoS

You never know what you will find on the roads in N. GA

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #276
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

Taking Highway 64 through South TN would give you a scenic ride to Corinth and through Waynesboro but the new 4 lane does away with many curves. Nice but short rides can be found on the old black top 2 lane the 4 lane replaced here and there. You have to look for them. Below 64 but north of the state line may give you a nice ride but I have never scouted that before since I have always traveled those roads in cage.

Heading north to Dickson, TN which is west of Nashville you DEFINITELY want to take Hwy. 13 north from Hwy. 64. Not Deals Gap but the best I have found west of Middle TN or I-65.

A fellow told me about a road that was isolated and nearly empty east of 65 and near the state line. I have to confirm this pavement but he says it is AS GOOD as Deals Gap. I have to see that.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #277
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Have you ridden the Tracy City/Monteagle area over Monteagle Mountain? You have to get on the old Hwy 43(I think that's correct) but that is some outstanding riding. One short stretch runs from Winchester exit on Hwy 64 to top of Monteagle Mountain to I-24. I would have had a great time riding this back from Atlanta at the Blade Show but some soccer mom in a minivan was riding my rear tire so I let her have the road and the salute.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #278
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Have you ridden the Tracy City/Monteagle area over Monteagle Mountain? You have to get on the old Hwy 43(I think that's correct) but that is some outstanding riding. One short stretch runs from Winchester exit on Hwy 64 to top of Monteagle Mountain to I-24. I would have had a great time riding this back from Atlanta at the Blade Show but some soccer mom in a minivan was riding my rear tire so I let her have the road and the salute.
I did ride through that are once but I don't remember the route. I am planning on going back to that area since I have heard there are a lot of good roads in that area.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #279
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Take hwy 50 out of Winchester up to Altamont and on to Bersheba Springs great road you will enjoy................
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #280
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Take hwy 50 out of Winchester up to Altamont and on to Bersheba Springs great road you will enjoy................
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get the chance.

I did go for an interesting ride on Saturday. It was quite different than any ride I have done in a long time.

A while back, on another thread, someone posted a link to Bamarides. I decided to check it out in the hopes of meeting some local riders. Although most of the events listed on this forum seem to be in the Birmingham area, there are some around here. Someone posted a "Mystery Barbeque Ride" for Saturday so I decided to ride along.
My KLR had a leaking fork seal, My super 8 is too slow and my XT350 is still in Ga so that made my choice of bike easy. My Sport City 250 is my most comfortable bike for a long street ride anyway. My only concern was bringing a 250 on a motorcycle ride. Would this be like bringing a knife to a gunfight? It was advertised to be a "speed Limit" ride.

The plan was to meet at Ditto landing at noon. Those who where hungry could meet at Mullins Restaurant at 10:45. Mullins sounded good but at the last minute I decided to skip it because I had been suffering from an upset stomach for a couple of days. So I headed off to Ditto landing. I got there at the same time as some other bikes so I followed them. No one was sure where the meeting place was and they headed to the boat launch parking lot. No one else was there and I suggested the area down by the river. Eventually more bikes showed up and went to by the river.
A couple of shots while waiting for the riders from Mullins to show up.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #281
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

As you can see from the pics, it was mostly cruisers and touring bikes. There was also an old Bandit and even older KZ1100. When the rest of the riders showed up the group became much more diverse. We now had a lot of cruisers and touring bikes, a couple of large Adventure bikes, a couple of Dual Sport bikes, and me on my 250cc scooter.

The ride leader was riding 2 up on a Harley touring bike. I think it was an Electra Glide. He held a riders meeting explaining that this ride would be on back roads with lots of curves and some hairpins. He explained the rules which were pretty simple. everyone ride their own ride, staggered formation on the straight roads and spread out in the curves. He said he would ride the speed limit, or reasonably close to it

It was a large group of nearly 20 really diverse bikes. This had the potential to be a real mess. Oh well, if things got really screwed up I figured I could find my way home. So off we went.

A few miles of urban traffic and then we went over Green Mountain road, one of my favorite local roads. I took some pics on the go.

While it wasn't a sport bike pace, it was fast enough to not get bored.

It was nice and cool riding in the shade up here on the mountain.

One of the riders, on a Super Teniere, went ahead to stop and get some pics while we rode by.

We rode for about an hour on some pretty nice country roads. I thought the pace was pretty good. Sport bike riders might have been bored but for a group like this it was a good pace.

We stopped at an overlook near Grant, AL

The Super Teniere is a nice looking bike. So was the view.

I wasn't the only one with a 250 on this ride. Add up the displacement of both bikes and it's still less than the next smallest bike on the ride.

More bikes.

This was across the street.

Pennsylvania log building?? Across the street was another old building labeled Michigan Center. Don't they know this is Alabama?

klaviator screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 05:41 AM
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #282
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After the overlook we headed to Gurley for gas and another break. Running on HWY 72 I had to twist the throttle to the stops for a bit to keep up. Then the pace slowed down to the speed limit.

Since I have a small tank I decided to gas up. .7 gallons and I was good to go Then we got back on 72 and then north on 65. 65 is a nice scenic ride with some pretty good curves.

Unfortunately we got stuck behind a cage through most of the curves which kept the pace down.

We then went right on 146 and right on 79 to Scottsboro. 146 has a long hill which was the only place one this ride where i couldn't quite keep up. As soon as the road leveled off I caught the riders ahead of me.

The we to 35 across the TN river.

I like these old bridges.

Another stop at a scenic overlook.

A view of the TN river.

Then it was off to the mystery BBQ restaurant.

You'd never know this place was here or that it was a restaurant. No sign of any kind. This is it. Barry's BBQ. It's only open Thurs - Sat.

The place was busy so we had to wait for a while. it was a good chance to kick some tires and talk about bikes.
The food was good but I decided not to pig out and risk upsetting my stomach. I still ate a full plate and had some homemade ice cream for dessert. A pic inside.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #283
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After dinner it was time to head home. The organized ride was over so everyone was on there own. The quickest way back was 35 to Scottsboro and the 72 to Huntsville. I was not looking forward to that. Someone suggested going through Guntersville. A little further but a much better ride. Luckily someone else was going that way so I followed them. We took 35 to the TN River then left on a road that followed the river. Then we picked up 227 to Gunterville and worked our way over to 231 where we split up. It was a nice ride with some great scenery and some curves. I took some pics while riding.

It ended up being a good day. I was really surprised how well thing went considering such a large group of diverse bikes. Everyone stayed together pretty well and no one crashed. The old KZ1100 did break down with an electrical problem. I got to ride some roads I had not been on before and meet some other riders. I plan on riding with Bamarides again when I get the chance.

Totals for the day: 250 miles and 3.3 gallons of gas. That's just over 75 MPG

Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #284
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Great ride report.

To be honest I have anxieties about riding with a group especially since I am adamant about RYOR, safety, not holding up the pack since I am a novice, etc. I have a buddy who rides with a group in North AL. Supposedly they are known for riding the interstate with the speedo showing 3 figures all the time with every rider running beside someone. That really isn't a ride for me.

This group looks to have a plan that would actually allow me to ride with them at some point. Have you got a link for the group you can post here?

BTW, I am getting just over 42 mpg. That 75 mpg is tempting! I am still looking for my dream bike which is listed in my profile, however. :)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #285
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Great ride report.

To be honest I have anxieties about riding with a group especially since I am adamant about RYOR, safety, not holding up the pack since I am a novice, etc. I have a buddy who rides with a group in North AL. Supposedly they are known for riding the interstate with the speedo showing 3 figures all the time with every rider running beside someone. That really isn't a ride for me.

This group looks to have a plan that would actually allow me to ride with them at some point. Have you got a link for the group you can post here?

BTW, I am getting just over 42 mpg. That 75 mpg is tempting! I am still looking for my dream bike which is listed in my profile, however. :)
When I saw the number and different kinds of bikes, I was pretty concerned too. Many of the riders wore no safety gear except for helmets. My experience with cruiser/touring riders who ride NOTGATT is that they tend to be pretty poor riders. I was pleasantly surprised on this ride. The ride leader told everyone to ride their own pace and we'd wait at all turns. I rode towards the front of the group and don't remember having to wait for any stragglers. I didn't see anyone do anything stupid. The choice of roads and the pace by the ride leader was very good. I don't know if things always go this good but I plan on doing more rides with Bamarides.

Here's a link: http://bamarides.com/

This is the thread to this ride: http://bamarides.com/ride/planned-ri...style-6292013/

klaviator screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 10:03 AM