User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Oddometer: 33
Upgrade from dr650 to klr650?

I've been riding a dr650 for the past year, I learned how to ride on the thing. I mostly ride around town and take 45 minute trips at 60 to 65 mph to visit family the dr isn't so much fun to me on these trips. Was thinking about buying a klr650 similar bike style more comforts is it worth it? Btw the dr650 is my fathers no ownership here.
Hawk900dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
514Advrider
Addicted

Oddometer: 73
Absolutely not, IMO. I've had 3 DR's and 1 KLR so far. The DR is easier to work on, has better suspension, is less prone to mechanical features and crashes better off road (less broken bits). In my opinion it is a better engineered motorcycle. For under 500$, you can sort out the range and comfort problem by getting an Acerbis or IMS tank and a Seat Concepts foam and cover kit.
514Advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
KLRs are better street bikes. More wind blockage from the fairing. They weigh a bunch more than the DR, so consequently if you ride a bunch in the dirt, you will miss the DR. I think the DR suspension is crap anyways, a pogo stick is a better improvement.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Oddometer: 33
thoughts,

the DR is fun just around town, the only things that irk me are the torque,iness (power delivery) at times when shifting and the vibrations when on the highway. I did upgrade the seat and thats a nice boost and to be honest ive only ever taken it off road once in the last year, which was fun. Im ok with the DR, but keep looking at the KLR due to the claimed less vibrations, smoother power delivery and comfort. Ive been also been referred to Vstroms, but I think if i get something that big it would be a hassle for short trips around town and getting out of my one car garage garage and cramped driveway.
Hawk900dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
The KLR has the advantage for girth, whereas you can load it up without interfering with your riding position. Both bikes are much improved with aftermarket suspension parts but the DR is far superior to the KLR off road both in suspension and frame geometry. The stock DR also has the advantage for trail riding considering its power band, not so much more power but easier to use off road. My experience is that the DR has a great low end with a substantial boost felt in midrange whereas the KLR is simply a mild increase throughout the rpm range. But then the extra weight may be responsible for that feeling. I own both bikes and neither are stock suspension or power wise anymore. My DR is a better bike than my previously owned stock KTM 640 both handling and suspension are better but the DR has RMZ forks and Cogent rear shocks and much work done inside the forks. Power wise the DR is at least as good as the KTM was. I bought the KLR for my road trips since I wanted a bike that was capable off road. It serves that purpose perfectly with a 688 piston and suspension components. In short my DR is a 650 enduro and my KLR is a 650 (688cc) dual-sport completely suitable for road trips. I used my DR for many 800-1000 mile road trips before buying the KLR. The DR is smoother than most 650's and though they say the KLR is smoother when using the 688 piston it is not as smooth as my DR was stock or is now. Vibrations of neither bike bother me in any way though.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
BMW f650gs is smoother on road than both. KLR is big and heavy - if you ride mostly on the road her a road bike like the vstrom or f650gs
VFR800 VTEC
Daytona 675
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Hawk, remember that each bike is like a tool in a drawer. Each one has a certain purpose.

KLR is more street oriented but can handle dirt.

DR650 is more of a dirt bike that can ride ashpalt. You're getting a bike to suit your needs, find one that has good aerodynamics, can handle the highway with ease etc etc. Take your time, you'll get the right one for YOU
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk900dc View Post
I've been riding a dr650 for the past year, I learned how to ride on the thing. I mostly ride around town and take 45 minute trips at 60 to 65 mph to visit family the dr isn't so much fun to me on these trips. Was thinking about buying a klr650 similar bike style more comforts is it worth it? Btw the dr650 is my fathers no ownership here.
Another KLR vs DR discussion - to add the may many, many before - seems every week someone is asking the same questions! Help me decide...

While I understand that some have questions, please do a search on the subject. Whatever bike you choose, each will have some maintenance issues and weakneses. Up grade, down grade, sideways grade. Make a decision orSpin a coin.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk900dc View Post
the only things that irk me are the vibrations when on the highway. I keep looking at the KLR due to the claimed less vibrations, smoother power delivery and comfort. Ive been also been referred to Vstroms, but I think if i get something that big it would be a hassle for short trips around town and getting out of my one car garage garage and cramped driveway.
I don't think you'll feel any less vibration from a KLR than a DR650. Individual examples will vary some due to mass production and wear, but the KLR is not inherently smoother.

If you want something light weight for short highway trips, consider the Kawasaki Ninja 300. Cheaper than a KLR, lighter, faster, better gas mileage, more comfortable, lower seat height, fuel injected -- I mean, if you're just street riding, why not get a street bike?

montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Used V-Strom 650.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Used V-Strom 650.
Even better.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Weestrom is hard to beat if you are sticking primarily to the tarmac. I never felt that it was too large or bulky for short, around town trips. But on the open road it was a dream. Good wind protection, good motor, suprisingly nimble and awesome range.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Where are you located at? I'm looking to trade my KLR for a DR, maybe we could work something out.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 613
I agree that the BMW F650 is a better road going bike than the DR or KLR but it takes the weight to whole new levels. The DR is round about 375, KLR 410 and the F650 (new number for that bike in the latest iteration) is 500. I doubt the Wee-strom is a bunch more heavy than that.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
is that an upgrade?
more like a sideways move.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote