ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #121
MJS
Beastly Adventurer
 
MJS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura, CA
Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
E85 is selling for $2.85 in Dallas, E10 is $3.50.
It's selling for an average of $3.41 / per gal in CA vs avg of $4.07 for E10. About a 18% difference. So the question becomes, what's the mileage hit on E85?

From fueleconomy.gov " FFVs typically get about 25-30% fewer miles per gallon when fueled with E85."

Let's see...18% fuel cost savings vs. 25% hit in mileage. Which one costs more?

PS: That retail price spread has varied between 10% and 18% over the last year according to E85prices.com and averages about 16%.
__________________
"You can follow me, but it's gonna hurt"

MJS screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 09:11 AM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #122
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
I think they should give the consumer the choice. Have E85 , E10 and actual real gas pumps available.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #123
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
E85 is selling for $2.85 in Dallas, E10 is $3.50.
And incredibly enough E85 is still more expensive per mile.
I guess that's why I never see anybody using the E85 pumps around here.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #124
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
E85 is selling for $2.85 in Dallas, E10 is $3.50.

That's funny, I see E10 all around me for $3.25-$3.35 and I live here.

$3.50 is that for full service?
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #125
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 759
If you have a FFV, don't listen to the Ethanol pimps, either do your own math or if you are too lazy the government has already done it for you. Go to the department of energy website;

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...Comb&tabView=0

Notice in the amber column for E85, every vehicle cost more $$$ to use E85 using average prices around the country. That's every manufacturer every model, more $$$ out of your pocket, every time! You can take that to the bank, errrrrr, I mean you better go back to the bank because you are going to need a loan.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #126
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GapRunr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: East TN / Smokies
Oddometer: 468
I live in an area that has every choice of fuel available, and pretty close by. E10 in all grades, E0 in Regular and Premium, and E85. Well, the E85 was close by when I tried it. They stopped selling it as it wasn't popular.

In my R1200GSA, my on board computer reports around 47 mpg on E0 Premium, and around 42 on E10 Premium. I put in E0 recently and then went on an afterwork ride up to New Found Gap in the Smokies. It's a slow road, with speeds in the 25-35mph range. When I got home my on board computer was showing a 57mpg average.

I also have an 09 Dodge truck, which is an E85 Flex Fuel vehicle. With E10 my mileage around town averages 13.5 mpg, pretty consistently. With E0 it averages about 15.7. I also tried E85 for two tanks in a row. The first tank was 9 mpg, the second one was 11 mpg. More money for less distance, and it also seemed sluggish. I kept checking my parking brake to make sure it wasn't still partially on. The truck just didn't feel responsive.

Putting aside all the pissing matches between people on this forum, and the wealth of both information and misinformation, in my particular case pure gas is always better as far as mpg. Local pricing for pure gas and E10 are always fluctuating as gas station across the street from each other have mini price wars, so there are times when the cost per mile is better with E10 and times when the cost per mile is better with E0.

And obviously, "Your actual mileage may vary".
__________________
GapRunr
07 R1200GSA - 81 R80g/s - 88 Hawk GT - 06 TW200 SuperDuper Tenere
GapRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #127
pretbek
Studly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I live in an area that has every choice of fuel available, and pretty close by. E10 in all grades, E0 in Regular and Premium, and E85. Well, the E85 was close by when I tried it. They stopped selling it as it wasn't popular.

In my R1200GSA, my on board computer reports around 47 mpg on E0 Premium, and around 42 on E10 Premium. I put in E0 recently and then went on an afterwork ride up to New Found Gap in the Smokies. It's a slow road, with speeds in the 25-35mph range. When I got home my on board computer was showing a 57mpg average.

I also have an 09 Dodge truck, which is an E85 Flex Fuel vehicle. With E10 my mileage around town averages 13.5 mpg, pretty consistently. With E0 it averages about 15.7. I also tried E85 for two tanks in a row. The first tank was 9 mpg, the second one was 11 mpg. More money for less distance, and it also seemed sluggish. I kept checking my parking brake to make sure it wasn't still partially on. The truck just didn't feel responsive.

Putting aside all the pissing matches between people on this forum, and the wealth of both information and misinformation, in my particular case pure gas is always better as far as mpg. Local pricing for pure gas and E10 are always fluctuating as gas station across the street from each other have mini price wars, so there are times when the cost per mile is better with E10 and times when the cost per mile is better with E0.

And obviously, "Your actual mileage may vary".

Ya spoiled brat.

Do you notice a difference in power delivery between riding/driving on E0 and on E10?

I can't compare anymore, because the nearest gas station that has E0 is 100 miles away, but I'm curious.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #128
Michael
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 162
energy density of Ethanal vs Gas

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_content_of_biofuel

Specific Energy Density of ethanol (MJ/kg): 23.4-26.8; Gasoline 45-48.3. Volumetric Energy Density (MJ/L): Ethanol 18.4-21.2; Gasoline 32 - 34.8

So it looks like ethanol has approximately half as much energy per unit as gas. Therefore, according to my fuzzy math, a gallon of gas that is 10% ethanol will give you 5% worse mileage; E15 net you 7.5% worse, etc. Holy crap, that means that E85 will drop your mileage 42.5%!!!!

So, if you get 20 MPG on pure gas E10 will give you 19 MPG; E85: 11.5 MPG????!!. No wonder nobody buys the stuff.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #129
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GapRunr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: East TN / Smokies
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Ya spoiled brat.

Do you notice a difference in power delivery between riding/driving on E0 and on E10?
It certainly feels more responsive with E0, but I don't have any actual numbers from a dyno to back it up. It could be completely psychological. But, if the Corn lobbyists want to pay me to say it feels slower, feel free to PM me. Getting money from endorsing it is the only way I would be pro ethanol.
__________________
GapRunr
07 R1200GSA - 81 R80g/s - 88 Hawk GT - 06 TW200 SuperDuper Tenere
GapRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #130
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,464
Our Suburban feels more responsive on E-85 and under light loads, i.e. no headwind and moderate speeds it's mileage isn't far off of E-10. Start running 85 into a headwind and E-85 mpg drops to about 60% of E-10.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #131
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,512
Seriously? You've got the only vehicle in the USA that runs better on ethanol? I was reluctant to believe some of the posters who think you're an industry stooge, but now you're claiming something that runs against .gov figures and basic math.

1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #132
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Seriously? You've got the only vehicle in the USA that runs better on ethanol? I was reluctant to believe some of the posters who think you're an industry stooge, but now you're claiming something that runs against .gov figures and basic math.

1911fan
And not only that when I drink E85, that would be 85% Ethanol, 15 % punch.
I become smarter, I talk better, think faster, more self-confidant, and as a bonus, women find me more attractive.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #133
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,512
.... and my wiener gets bigger, too!

Give it up, Stevie88, and tell us who you work for.




1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #134
Red J
Member.
 
Red J's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
.... and my wiener gets bigger, too!

Give it up, Stevie88, and tell us who you work for.




1911fan
You need him to tell you?

__________________
01 VFR | 08 FJR
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #135
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Seriously? You've got the only vehicle in the USA that runs better on ethanol? I was reluctant to believe some of the posters who think you're an industry stooge, but now you're claiming something that runs against .gov figures and basic math.

1911fan
I've been questioning stevie88's motives and reasoning for waxing poetic on ethanol higher than 10% the very first entry I read on this thread. I know what it's done to my bikes, I know what it's done to my friggin lawn mower, and my old buddy who works at a boat marina tells me that its been a nightmare fore boat owners and a boom for their repair shop. Why anyone would defend this 15%+ ethanol move by the US govt. is rather bizzare to me unless that person has a vested interest or a strong misguided social agenda with no thought on the negative effects of that agenda.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014