Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #1471
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Wicked XT 550 from the land of best mod ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaXT550GR View Post
I saw this forum while browsing in search for an original Giannelli exhaust. I saw that someone here uploaded a photo of a Greek bike that is of a neighbours of mine so i took some courage to post my XT 550 here too .. enjoy http://postimg.org/image/g8fx0x7f9/
You guys rock! I liked the e-start XT 550!!!
What kind of rear wheel are you running? XT 600? from a 90-96 model?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #1472
BuddhaXT550GR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
You guys rock! I liked the e-start XT 550!!!
What kind of rear wheel are you running? XT 600? from a 90-96 model?
Running wheels from XT 600 '89 or you can adjust a later model too
BuddhaXT550GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #1473
BuddhaXT550GR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Only problem we got is that too few where sold here so we need to patent or ebay stuff to keep em running.. By the way if you guys can sell me a gas tank the side covers for battery and the other one and rear fender please inform me
BuddhaXT550GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #1474
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Ignition Switched power source?

Don't yet have any manuals for my new to me 83 XT550. Is there an easily accessible wire to tap a power source from that is switched off with key? Not real keen on poking holes in wiring of anything this old with a probe. Wiring is usually a bit fragile by now as it is and don't need to add another point for moisture to get and corrosion to start

Added a 12v power socket and for now hardwired to battery. Yep I know it's a 6v bike but Phones etc. 12v power plugs drop things down to 5v anyway so should work fine from what I've read. Seems too so far. Would rather go to a switched wire to avoid any potential drain when parked.

Coachgeo screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:25 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1475
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Trip meter knob fix/replace

Sorry I tried to search first. Also google searched the web. Anyone got an idea on a fix for a missing Trip meter knob on the Odometer of an 83 xt550? Presently cant reset the trip meter since knob is missing. Not sure if the shaft inside is spun or pushed to reset. Any advice besides "go to hell" appreciated :P
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #1476
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
Sorry I tried to search first. Also google searched the web. Anyone got an idea on a fix for a missing Trip meter knob on the Odometer of an 83 xt550? Presently cant reset the trip meter since knob is missing. Not sure if the shaft inside is spun or pushed to reset. Any advice besides "go to hell" appreciated :P
think its sprun so all you need is a trist knob should be the same tach as later xt600 , xt 350 dt125 etc
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1477
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Electric Drill start?? With a twist (ugh... bad pun)

yeah I know.... "learn the trick to kick starting" And I slowly am. Problem is when I HAVE to get going and move on down the road due to time constrants. Since this is also a commuter bike.

So dumb (maybe) question. If kick start arm was removed and:

1. A modified kick start (arm removed) and socket welded to the remaining.

2. A kick start lever with a socket end welded to it that fits into the socket above. Used for kick staring

3. A Portable DRILL with socket on it that fits number 1 for electric starting.

It appears the kick start ratchets allowing for not having the kick start tear your leg off after engine starts.

Question is does the internals allow for the kick start shaft to rotate full circle....... many times... such as when a drill is spinning it to start the engine?

Part of me assumes this won't work or others certainly would be doing it now..... but what the hell; one should never assume. Thus my question

Coachgeo screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 01:36 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #1478
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
yeah I know.... "learn the trick to kick starting" And I slowly am. Problem is when I HAVE to get going and move on down the road due to time constrants. Since this is also a commuter bike.

So dumb (maybe) question. If kick start arm was removed and:

1. A modified kick start (arm removed) and socket welded to the remaining.

2. A kick start lever with a socket end welded to it that fits into the socket above. Used for kick staring

3. A Portable DRILL with socket on it that fits number 1 for electric starting.

It appears the kick start ratchets allowing for not having the kick start tear your leg off after engine starts.

Question is does the internals allow for the kick start shaft to rotate full circle....... many times... such as when a drill is spinning it to start the engine?

Part of me assumes this won't work or others certainly would be doing it now..... but what the hell; one should never assume. Thus my question
Not it will not work

for many reasons
1 the kick star mecenisme will not go full circle
it has to go back once it reaches the end of the spring compression

2 the auto decomp would not work correcty

3 - the drill would not have torque for the job
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #1479
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Not it will not work

for many reasons
1 the kick star mecenisme will not go full circle
it has to go back once it reaches the end of the spring compression

2 the auto decomp would not work correcty

3 - the drill would not have torque for the job
Thanks for the info.

Still sounds though it is doable... but would take a good bit of machine work to revamp the OEM mechanism. Not in my skill set; though maybe someone else with knowledge and tools would consider such a project. Bet it would spawn a good bit of interest from thumper owners of various bikes.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1480
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Don't yet have any manuals for my new to me 83 XT550. Is there an easily accessible wire to tap a power source from that is switched off with key? Not real keen on poking holes in wiring of anything this old with a probe. Wiring is usually a bit fragile by now as it is and don't need to add another point for moisture to get and corrosion to start

Added a 12v power socket and for now hardwired to battery. Yep I know it's a 6v bike but Phones etc. 12v power plugs drop things down to 5v anyway so should work fine from what I've read. Seems too so far. Would rather go to a switched wire to avoid any potential drain when parked.
My '83 XT550 is 12 volts.

Manuel: http://ebookbrowse.com/yamaha-xt550-...pdf-d307157172
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #1481
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Mega Thanx for the manual link!!!!!!

As to Battery, I could swear it is a 6volt battery in there when I was working on her.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #1482
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hey all! Just picked up my '82 XT550. It's a sweetheart of a bike. Only issues are a broken tach cable and loose tach drive at the bottom of the instrument.

Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #1483
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

grrrrrrrrrr.... took another 45min to start the bike tonight after getting off work.

So obviously I still not got the "system" down right.

How do you know when the decompression is on? Sure when you kick you know cause no resistance...... but the whole idea is to know this in advance. I dont hear any audible difference in the click sounds from the decompression lever and I cant see any difference in where the lever is sitting.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #1484
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
Hey all! Just picked up my '82 XT550. It's a sweetheart of a bike. Only issues are a broken tach cable and loose tach drive at the bottom of the instrument.

Very Nice! How many miles on her?
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #1485
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 181
If your valve is adjusted correctly the arm on the right side of the head where the cable attaches should have about 0.5 mm of play. It should move rearward if you move the kick starter from its starting point. Once the play is used up it opens the exhaust valve. So start kicking from the top of the stroke and it should move freely and will release the valve near the lower portion of the stroke. If you do not start from the top it will be very had to kick through. With your choke on and the air/fuel screw adjusted at 2 1/2 turns out it should start cold in 4 to 6 kicks with the throttle closed. Hot in 1 or two kicks. If it still will not start hold the throttle wide open and kick. Be careful because it can backfire and will kick back. With manual decompression you have to worry about when it is at TDC. With this auto system I don't worry about it and just kick. Good luck. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote