Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Just added the following video on August 25 2013:

"Fo Full Screen" I'm in the video at about the 11:50 and the 20:30 marks

Here it is! Fresh this week, direct to you from the mountains of the Sierra Madre Occidental.....my hardest yet most rewarding ride I've done yet in México - 24 hours in Sierra Madre backcountry just 2 days. 1 of only 2 gringos. In terrain best suited to vehicles with 4 points of contact to the ground.

ADV inmate SR suggested to several of us that frequent México that we come down to Durango and give this unique off-road event a go. SR works and lives in Durango and is very well tied into the off-road scene around there (Durango city is the capital of the state of Durango) and the state of Sinaloa. Several of us considered it, and I took the bait. I'm glad I did, I'll be talking about this 30 years from now (if I'm still alive ).

With this tale, I hope in the near future to change the fact that I was the only rider living outside of México to come down to ride in the event, and I especially want to make this more well-known and get more ADV dirt junkies to the 2014 edition

The machines:

SR on his fuel injected Yamaha WR450R

Me on SR's spare DRZ400

Riding the cliffs next to 2,000+ foot drop offs:

This was the fourth edition of the Ruta ATV Durango - Mazatlán

The vast majority of vehicles making the run (and with the most attrition) were ATVs.

The roads were old logging and mining routes through the very heart of the Sierra Madre in the states of Durango and Sinaloa. There were spots cut by landslides that turned back many of the ATVs.

Don't worry about security, the Federales were out in force (mas o menos! mostly menos! )

The views were incredible!

So come along for an intense, challenging ride from Durango to the playa at Mazatlán, and find out what it might take to get you to bring your dirt bike to the Sierra Madre and do this ride yourself.

Hot link to SR's ourstanding flyover videos and graphs of the 2013 Ruta DGO - MAZ is HERE

tricepilot screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 12:37 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote