ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #4726
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
pics or it didn't happen
check ride-reports Also, I must have missed the invite for this latest one

I liked the Alvord but some of the other lake beds were softer which made for less traction and increased sillyness. That said I guess you can get axle-deep buried in the Alvord if you catch a rain-storm.

Did you checkout the B24 crash-site?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4727
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior
 
clapped_r6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Oddometer: 2,588
we tried to make it to the bomber, but it had rained really hard the night before, and we hit a huge hill of concrete gumbo mud. it was locking up wheels and turning our chains into mud extrusion machines. here's grit's bike staying up without a sidestand



well, maybe next year
__________________
colonel angus sez, "sometimes you just gotta superman that ho"
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #4728
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,303
I moved up (in size) from my 525 EXC to a 690R. Better for my short legs and fat arse.
I've passed the 525 on to my son.

Here he is on a ride in Death Valley in April.



Next will be to sell off the 400.

One of the things I added to my 690 is a centerstand. OMG that is nice to have.

After doing some research it looks like I can still order all the parts to put the factory centerstand on the 525 for about $150.

Anybody got experience with the stand? Comments? Got one you took off and willing to pass on to somebody?

I've seen it in parts lists (look up 2000-300 exc) However I've seen no pics of one in use.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #4729
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 955
Great vid
__________________
2003 xt600e 150.000km
1986 xt350 99.200km
JensEskildsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #4730
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,335
I just picked up a 2006 525EXC and I'm setting it up for dual sport. I'm installing the KTM fan kit, and the radiator hose pictured to the left of the fan below is really tight. Is this ok/normal? Thanks!

cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #4731
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I just picked up a 2006 525EXC and I'm setting it up for dual sport. I'm installing the KTM fan kit, and the radiator hose pictured to the left of the fan below is really tight. Is this ok/normal? Thanks!

It's normal but a bit of a 4:20 design special.

After one time swapping the tank I managed to get the hose positioned such that the edge of the fan blades started hitting it. God awful noise, it was a race to disconnect the thermostat connectors but I'd still taken a good chunk out of the hose plus damaged the end of the blades. I ended up replacing the hose section and when I recrimped, I rotated the hose slightly forward so now it sits to the left of the fan assembly.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #4732
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
It's normal but a bit of a 4:20 design special.

After one time swapping the tank I managed to get the hose positioned such that the edge of the fan blades started hitting it. God awful noise, it was a race to disconnect the thermostat connectors but I'd still taken a good chunk out of the hose plus damaged the end of the blades. I ended up replacing the hose section and when I recrimped, I rotated the hose slightly forward so now it sits to the left of the fan assembly.
Thanks. I'm actually putting a set of Moose radiator braces on it, and I see now that the fan will mount to the brace. I don't know yet if that will make it better or worse.

On another subject, the kickstarter on this thing is like standing on a rock. I can put all my 150lbs on it and it won't move. I read somewhere that it could be the exhaust valves are loose. I just checked the valves and the intakes were a bit tight, but the exhausts are right at 0.005". Any other tips on the kickstarter? It doesn't have a decompression lever at the handlebars, but when I had the rocker cover off I could actuate the lever that the decomp cable would hook to, and it doesn't look like it really does anything.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #4733
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,340
i gotta '06 450... the decomp lever is part of the clutch master on all the ones i've seen.... check out a parts fiche, and i bet it's listed.... you gotta use it to set up the motor just past the exhaust cycle, and before the intakes open, them kick it... mine was pretty much impossible w/o the decomp lever... once it builds compression, you ain't gonna kick it.... and i just put the 'magic button' on it after a 'shane watts' class, cause' kicking it and him kicking me almost killed me....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #4734
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
i gotta '06 450... the decomp lever is part of the clutch master on all the ones i've seen.... check out a parts fiche, and i bet it's listed.... you gotta use it to set up the motor just past the exhaust cycle, and before the intakes open, them kick it... mine was pretty much impossible w/o the decomp lever... once it builds compression, you ain't gonna kick it.... and i just put the 'magic button' on it after a 'shane watts' class, cause' kicking it and him kicking me almost killed me....
I'm sure it had the lever and cable at one point. All sorts of weird stuff can happen to a dirt bike in 7 years.

It's funny that you mentioned Shane Watts, I just signed up for one of his classes. I'll be bringing my 200
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #4735
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,335
A little more internet research seems to indicate that the '06 and up EXCs did not come with the manual decompression cable/lever stock. Also, there is (should be?) an auto decompressor on the camshaft. If that's working correctly, I should be able to kick it over without the manual decomp, right?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #4736
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
A little more internet research seems to indicate that the '06 and up EXCs did not come with the manual decompression cable/lever stock. Also, there is (should be?) an auto decompressor on the camshaft. If that's working correctly, I should be able to kick it over without the manual decomp, right?
I'm not sure that is true. The 07 bikes that came with the Brembo clutch did not as there is no attachment point on the master cylinder cover, though you can replace with a cover from one of the SXs (or the hardparts/sx - which has a usable attachment designed for hot start). AFAIK all the bikes that have the Magura clutch (which should include 06) came with the manual decomp.

I put an entire Magura setup onto my 07 as I hated the clutch pull effort of the Brembo.

Regarding "needing" the manual decomp. On the RFS it's helpful in some limited occasions but it's not needed in most situations, unlike say an LC4.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #4737
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,335
Ok, I'm not really concerned about the MIA manual decompression. I am concerned that the auto decompression is working correctly. Should the kickstarter feel like a rock if the auto decompression is working?

I should add that my kickstarting experience so far has been limited to a KTM 200XC-W and an old Honda XR250R. The 200 can be started with your hand, and the Honda had an auto decompressor that would disengage if you kicked it through a few times, so it was easy to tell if it was working or not. When the decomp was engaged, it was like kicking it through with the spark plug removed. The 525 is definitely not like that...

cjbiker screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 08:22 AM
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #4738
exman
amateur-enthusiast
 
exman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Ok, I'm not really concerned about the MIA manual decompression. I am concerned that the auto decompression is working correctly. Should the kickstarter feel like a rock if the auto decompression is working?

I should add that my kickstarting experience so far has been limited to a KTM 200XC-W and an old Honda XR250R. The 200 can be started with your hand, and the Honda had an auto decompressor that would disengage if you kicked it through a few times, so it was easy to tell if it was working or not. When the decomp was engaged, it was like kicking it through with the spark plug removed. The 525 is definitely not like that...
According to my experience with my 525 2004, it could be the spring of the auto decomp. If it is loose, decomp will not work. You'll have to remove upper portion of cylinder head to check it. The autodecompressor shaft should always turn back into its initial position. If not, increase preloading of the spring and kicking will become easy.
exman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #4739
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,340
i'm baaacckkkk...

i didn't read the whole thing first time, so...

if you got the perch on the clutch master for it, i think you should have it....

auto-decomp or not, my '06 450 SMR was/is a beeeooottch to kick start, and if you didn't learn the drill and set it up w/the decomp lever, best of luck.... a couple times around seems to build up compression, and then you ain't gonna kick it.... i stand on the kickstand to kick it, mostly, and i'm 200+lbs... this is why i put on the magic button... and i did this for a few years....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #4740
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 192
How does the electric start work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
i gotta '06 450... the decomp lever is part of the clutch master on all the ones i've seen.... check out a parts fiche, and i bet it's listed.... you gotta use it to set up the motor just past the exhaust cycle, and before the intakes open, them kick it... mine was pretty much impossible w/o the decomp lever... once it builds compression, you ain't gonna kick it.... and i just put the 'magic button' on it after a 'shane watts' class, cause' kicking it and him kicking me almost killed me....
I found that if my valves were too loose, the electric starter battled. Never tried the kick start then.
With the valves set correctly, both the electric starter and the kick are really easy.
The manual decompression works on the valves and keeps them open, not sure what the auto decompression does?
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014