User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #76
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,083
Scott Steering Submount Damper Dimensions Needed

Can someone who has a scott steering damper Submount do me a favor?

Could you measure from the bottom of the scotts damper mount to the very bottom of fatbar handlebar mount? Please include the height of the spacer (needed to clear the steering stem nut).

Just ordered a GPR and need some dimensions to triangulate which far bar bend I need. Use to have the Scotts Sub Mount with Renthal Enduro bend and want to replicate dimensions. Thanks in advance.

FYI, The GPR damper mount is 40.5mm and is a 16.5mm height increase over stock (24mm).
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #77
simonpig OP
packin' heat

2013 Roaming Rally – Ontario, Canada - 6.14–6.16

The Rally for 2013 is a 3 day ride through the sticks of Ontario. I did this ride last year and really enjoyed it because it mixes adventure riding in with Trailriding. It is unique in that you're hauling your gear as you're riding single track and fast woods roads as well as deep water crossings. Add to that - the days are long.

Left on a Wednesday afternoon and made it to Lake George's Hearthstone Campground around 8pm, made camp and a fire. My neighbor were blasting a mix of hair metal and southern rock from their car radio some of which included Freebird, Livin' on a Prayer, Paradise City... This would go on until about 11 pm but I didn't mind. The night was crystal clear under a blanket of stars. Checked my text message and it turned out my teammate Timwicked, was also in Lake George. We made plans to ride out the next morning.

The next morning at my campsite, next to the lake.

photo P1030767_zps38e41d08.jpg

Took a walk down to take a look at the lake.

photo P1030770_zps6d12d83d.jpg

photo P1030772_zpsc0a124b6.jpg

Met up with Tim (Timwicked) at the Micky D's on the main drag. His intention was do the Puppydogy trail to Canada, but wasn't acquainted with his new Garmin 78 and decided to forego.

At St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY as we wait to rendezvous with Chris (Skypilot) to export my former R80g/s to Ted.

photo P1030776_zpsf8f5e8c0.jpg

This was no easy task as the combination of a strange vintage European bike and VIN systems created unseen problem that tested our collective patience. Eventually, we found out that some early R80g/s didn't have the full vin's printed on the headstock of the bike after chipping off the paint, and in turn, convinced the US CBP dude that we were legit. The Canada side was all about taxes and making sure we didn't gip the government by declaring a false and low sale number.

And so we made it camp.

photo P1030778_zps48744fe3.jpg

As did Ted's R80g/s

photo P1030781_zpsb5d8dd7a.jpg

Uniting owner with bike.

photo P1030783_zps729f47b3.jpg

Familiar faces at camp - Daniel and his team.

photo P1030779_zpse88fd0b6.jpg

Chris signs us in and we get our sweet swag (toque and stickers)

photo P1030785_zpse29f2ab4.jpg

photo P1030789_zps9c6efe33.jpg

Damian and the NYC crew.

photo P1030791_zpsba3f0989.jpg

First order of business - my favorite camping pastime. Fire!!!!

photo P1030792_zps83aced76.jpg

Second order of business - Beer!!!! The LCBQ are so clean and sterile.

photo P1030794_zpsd119f154.jpg

Third order of biz - Meats!!!!

photo P1030797_zpsf0ffb12f.jpg

photo P1030800_zpsbdf4a97e.jpg

Fourth order of biz - Emptying the Rum - Smooothh!!! Something we would be paying for the next day.

photo P1030806_zps7b0897db.jpg

Went to bed hammered after the fire died down.

photo P1030804_zpsf74b9533.jpg

Day 1 - Friday 6.14

Woke up the next morning a bit hung over and dry and started packing up camp. Chris vaguely remembered getting up and puking. Tim was good to go choosing to temper his evenings celebration.

photo P1030816_zps90463a85.jpg

By 6:30 the campsite was empty as Ted and organizer warned us early and often that day 1 would be completed by 8% of the riders.

photo P1030815_zpsae3a0054.jpg

The first sections were muddy and full of water and 30 miles in, we lose Tim. Somehow, we lost track of each other and he ended up riding with another team of 2, Vic and Regan on 2 KLRs, for the rest of the day. What was once 3 is now 2.

Chris getting dirty.

photo P1030818_zps9a9e6a94.jpg

So wet.

photo P1030822_zpse47b3a0b.jpg

photo P1030824_zps4a28d1c2.jpg

I brought my Gopro, but wasn't inspired to film anything. It was more about getting through it as the go was slow in the snotty stuff.

At the first cut-off point at the end of Track 01a, I was the last bike to make the cut-off. Chris decided to stop while he was ahead and rode back to camp which proved to be a good decision as he lost his wheel carrier bearing and I assume spent the rest of the day sourcing that part.

Gassing up and without taking lunch, I press on and now the team goes from 3 to 1. The dynamics of a ride really changes going from team to solo, somthing I'm got acquainted with on my TAT ride.

Going solo, I was able to stop and take pictures.

photo P1030835_zpse08b8c54.jpg

Solar. Going off the grid.

photo P1030837_zpsfdd668e9.jpg

photo P1030838_zps8559b266.jpg

For the rest of the day, I pressed on without stopping and not taking any go-arounds.

photo P1030842_zps25e2638a.jpg

Passed by some horseback riders.

photo P1030843_zps155ef016.jpg

At some point, I realize I'm sorta in the stick and that I wouldn't make it without finding gas, so I punch up the gps and find a gas stop 12 miles behind on the main route. Annoyingly, I backtracked and found that it was actually a marina. Went in and the 2 young female concierges if there was any gas for sale. To my relief, they did and down the pier I went to retrieve it. Thanks ladies.

photo P1030845_zps54e0a6ab.jpg

Hauled ass back to the turnaround point with a couple of sphincter clinchers one of which was a downhill tight 90 degree left hand sweeper that had me skidding the rear with the bike at a 45 degree angle to avoid flying in the dropoff and water on the right.

Around 5, I make it to the last cut-off point and not remembering what time we needed to take the go-around, continued on. The woods were getting dark and this was the hydroline section that just seemed to go on and on and on.

photo P1030849_zps6303b003.jpg

At around 8:30, I make it back to camp, cold and hungry and in a terrible mood, mostly because I was kicking myself for not letting my team know to grab me some steaks or chops and having it ready when I got back. Hunger had me making a bad decision by deciding to go south 15 miles in the dark to town to look for some gas station burritos and almost getting stuck since I only had enough gas to get there. Thankfully, 1 of my 2 credit cards were accepted and I headed back to camp and was able to get a can of beans and freeze dried pasta. The warmth of the fire and food in my stomach softened my mood.

We camped next to Vic and Regan, Tim's foster team for the day. Glad to know Tim wasn't abducted by aliens cause it sure felt like he did when we lost him. Chris spent the evening installing his wheel bearing.

Slept like a baby that night. I assume the rest of camp did as well.

Day 2 - Saturday 6.15

Woke up the next morning, popped 3 tylenols and packed up camp. Vic and Regan left before us, but came back due to rear wheel bearing failure. Whats up with those KLR wheels bearings?

photo P1030855_zps70a4302a.jpg

We made it to the cafe for breakfast which took a ridiculously long time due to the 2013 great shortage of homefries throughout all of Canada.

Finally got our food and scarfed it down.

photo P1030861_zps47549eb3.jpg

After lunch, we jet off and I lead and set the pace. We were definitely one of the last group, so I pushed it especially on the fast sweeping gravel. At one point, a Harley Dude with his lady on the back coming from the opposite direction throws me the bird. Later I find out that he tried to run Chris, at the back of the pack, off the road.

To our surprise, we ran into Regan at one the snotty sections in the woods. From his recounting, Vic found a wheel bearing and pulled off the quickest bearing replacement in the history of mankind, and promptly skipped forward in the route. That was how they ended up ahead of us. We were able to ride with him for a bit as he lost Vic in the Sauce.

photo P1030866_zps6eef02e6.jpg

From there on we tried to keep a decent pace but entered the section that was closed off due to gas drilling. And so we rerouted north to get gas and a powerbar lunch.

photo P1030867_zps58fc09de.jpg

At around 5, we make it to the last section 2 hours later than the 3pm cutoff so too the go around. Some French canadian riders wanted to give it a go, but were questioning if they had enough gas. We would hear that some of them went ahead and a couple were stuck in the stick overnight? Rumors or hearsay, I'm not sure.

After last night, I made sure I was gonna go to bed with nice foods in my belly, so we stopped at a diner on the way.

photo P1030870_zpsfe8b2f20.jpg

Met another team (Le RidAventueres?) and some touring adventurers over an early dinner of chicken wings, a salad and a burger.

photo P1030873_zps878b9eca.jpg

Good shooting it with Les and Kat touring Canada on a Harley.

photo P1030874_zpsfcb55d82.jpg

After lunch, Team CROC was definitely in a catatonic state. Chris drops his bike in the parking lot…

photo P1030875_zps3eaf4f67.jpg

The whole diner runs over to the window and watches as Chris red-faced is picking up his bike as I snap photos. The clincher came when a kid ran over and obnoxiously says, "Hey mister, you dropped your bike!", and then runs off. We tried to get him to re-inact the scene, but Chris had already picked up the bike and rode across the street to the LCBQ to investigate the evenings beverage options.

photo P1030878_zpsa82661fc.jpg

We make it to Silent River Campground.

photo P1030885_zps98cfecb1.jpg

After a shower and making a campfire, I was visited by the most beautiful cutest moth I had ever seen. It was white, it landed on my balls and did a dance, and eventually settled in. Chris later told me it was a Lunar Moth. (Correction: Yellow Woolly Bear Moth -- looked it up)

photo P1030889_zps26e3b117.jpg

photo P1030893_zps03e5514a.jpg

The next morning, we had to pack up in the rain. Sux.

photo P1030897_zps16b5ec84.jpg

Went to Tim Horntons to get WiFi and figure out the days plan.

photo P1030901_zps834c763a.jpg

photo P1030898_zps485b1fbc.jpg

After strategizing, we decided to slab it back to the first site to pickup the Jeep.

photo P1030899_zpse1de5583.jpg

photo P1030903_zps61e79874.jpg

Got to camp around 5pm and my immediate feeling was, let's get the fu•k outta here. The Misquitos were super aggressive and I was missing the USA. Getting back into the USA after getting through asshole border crossing gaurds, we hit the freeway to Tupper Lake. On the way, a rider on a KTM buzzes by us, and later Chris tells me it was Guymanbro.

Around 8:30pm, we made to the Blue Jay Campground at Tupperlake.

photo IMG_2884_zpsbbe878e8.jpg

The next morning, Tim and I ride back together with the rain following most of the way. At Saratoga Springs, we go separate ways.

At around 7pm, I make it back to NYC.

simonpig screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 12:02 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #78
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
[COLOR="Yellow"
A rider on a KTM buzzes us, and later Chris tells me it was Guymanbro. We made to the Blue Jay Campground at Tupperlake.
I wish I knew you were stopping somewhere soon. I ended up in a Motel in Tupper Lake that just so happened to be housing the infamous Evil Clown as well. I'd have camped if there was company, though the hot shower and a bed felt nice.

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #79
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Hey man, great meeting you at the ride. Yeah, if I had known that was you, we would've stopped and coordinated. I just didn't recognized mostly because of my laser focus on getting to Tupper Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
I wish I knew you were stopping somewhere soon. I ended up in a Motel in Tupper Lake that just so happened to be housing the infamous Evil Clown as well. I'd have camped if there was company, though the hot shower and a bed felt nice.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #80
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Schwaaannngggggg!!!! Loving the WRR's new hot cousin.

simonpig screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #81
simonpig OP
packin' heat

GPR V4 Steering Damper / Pro Taper Contour KX High Handlebar

photo DSC_7850_zps62f91599.jpg

So much to do, so little time …

GPR instructions kinda suck. Here's the steps, I took:

1. Remove tank bolt
2. Remove headlight & trip computer
3. Remove top bar mounts & handlebars
4. Remove top triple clamp
5. Remove bottom bar mounts from the triple clamp
6. Remove washer/left cable stay (it will interfere with left stock steering). It looks like this…

photo P1030909_zps4a53db5b.jpg

6. With the top triple clamp off, install GPR botton bracket using new supplied bolts
7. Bend forward the center cable top guide

photo P1030910_zpsc3a49ce3.jpg

8. Bend forward the center cable bottom guide (it will interfere with left lock steering)

photo P1030914_zps4bcf00b8.jpg

9. Install pin tower frame bracket around headstock

photo P1030911_zps7def9f33.jpg

10. Tighten tank bolt
11. Tighten pin tower frame bracket bolt

12. Reinstall the top triple clamp
13. Using new supplied washer and stem screw. The washer tapers on one end -- I used the narrower end on top facing the stem screw. Rationale is the less area that comes in contact with the tightening of the screw, the better. You have to install the bottom handlebar clamps before this procedure. If you don't, you wont be able to get the new bolts to fit under the installed top triple clamp.

photo P1030916_zpsf3ed6747.jpg

14. Place damper on the bottom damper mount and estimate the height the pin needs to be flush with the damper arm. Knock it into position using a mallet or a rock.

15. Bolt the damper in

photo P1030918_zps4b04c5fe.jpg

16. Install the top handlebar clamps and controls -- you might need to rotate the throttle tube down depending on tall your bars are now. Check to make sure no cables are binding. Here's your chance to clean up that cable routing.

photo P1030919_zps38286598.jpg

17. Shotgun a beer

---

A thing to note is that you might have to remove the handlebars and damper, and tower pin assembly everytime you want to remove the tank as you can't access the top tank bolt without unbolting the tower pin assembly. Going to play around to see if that is necessary. Hopefully not, because that sounds like more effort than necessary.

Update: You can't remove the gas tank unless you remove the 2 bolts from top gas tank mount. Wondering about this, and found out today. Its easier to remove the tank with the Scotts Damper setup, but really, you won't need to remove the tank very often. Something to consider though.

simonpig screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 09:04 PM
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #82
simonpig OP
packin' heat

For those interested in GPR Damper install write up has been added to last post.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #83
simonpig OP
packin' heat

FYI, selling the Renthal 7/8 RC High handlebars here.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #84
simonpig OP
packin' heat

It's rainin' farkle.

photo null_zps643382a9.jpg
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #85
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Are you fitting the standard G2 throttle cam or a quicker #1?

Great write up and photos!

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #86
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Its Part #50-200, the Quick-turn throttle tube. Theres a Y050 printed on the Cam.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #87
simonpig OP
packin' heat

G2 Ergonomics:
Quick-Turn Throttle Tube + Competition Handguards + Tapped Bar End Inserts

photo DSC_7862_zpsf316269e.jpg

Tapping the handlebar ends and installing the nylon inserts (didn't take photos of that)

photo P1030921_zps4b75dfb7.jpg

G2 Quick Turn throttle installed. No more turning until infinity on those uphill climbs. I feel like for a milder power bike this will be a good modification.

photo P1030923_zps7802e0c6.jpg

The G2 Ergonomics Handguards are the sweetest and simplest hand guard system I've had the pleasure of owning and installing. They have a nice "works" polish to the aluminum and this is the first handlebar mounts that didn't get in the way of my wiring.

photo P1030926_zps08331320.jpg

photo P1030925_zps17955fac.jpg

To date, I've tried Acerbis—of which I like their Original Rally Pro design from a style standpoint, but they're buttery soft and their mounting system leaves much to be desired. I also tried the Cycra CRM's (center reach mount), though I don't really undertand the need for all the tortured bends on that bar — really though, I'm not a fan of that company mostly because of their poor service.

I used to think the "probend" design was very Pro for no other reason than everybody used them and copied that design for their own products, but really, it just adds a level of complication, cost, and creates a headache for when I have to bend that handguard back to form.

Bolted up and tight

photo P1030924_zps762d4918.jpg

Update:
Took a ride with the new handlebar, damper, and quick turn throttle today and I think I'm dialed ergonomically. Standing up is more natural now than sitting down, but both are comfortable positions, which is how I feel a dirt bike should be set up.

The quick-turn throttle is fantastic and the application of power is more deliberate and quick, which as I mentioned earlier, is great for a "revver" that is prone to stalling.

Update:
At first, I thought the aluminum bar would be ok without the hand shield, but last summer, I smacked my finger pretty good against a branch. The G2 guards comes with accessory shields, so I bought a pair of black shield and installed.

photo P4020009_zps70fb437e.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 04:24 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #88
simonpig OP
packin' heat

FYI, Zeta aluminum throttle tube is for sale here
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #89
simonpig OP
packin' heat

A Tale of Two Clutches:
Works Connection vs. Righteous Stunt Metal (RSC)

On the third day of the wet and muddy Roaming Rally Ride, I started to feel the clutch pull become heavier due to sand, mud and water entering the blades and pivot of the RSC clutch - To the point that I could hear sand being ground against 2 hard surface as the lever went in and out and well as a "meowing" sound.

After getting back home, I took the clutch apart and cleaned it thoroughly and reinstalled it, but still got a funny sound coming from it.

Thinking maybe the clutch was messed up due to the grinding of sand against the bearings and blades, I send the clutch back to Josh Miller for him to have a look.

In the meantime, I ordered a Works Connection EZ Build Elite Clutch Perch as I was considering going to something maybe more offroad worthy. The lever on the WC unit has sealed roller bearings which I thought might provide better performance. To be fair, RSC also provides a roller bearing version of the RSC clutch.

The service at RSC was top notch. Josh sent the lever back 4 days laters and I had the chance to compare the 2 clutches. The returned RSC clutch looked like it was cleaned and re-lubed, showing no signs of new machine work.

After installing the WC clutch, the sound was still present and that was when figured out the problem was with the clutch cable housing and not the clutch.

This exercise was not a complete loss as I could compare 2 clutches.

Build Quality:

Both the RSC and Works Connection (WC) Clutch are equal in their build quality. Both are billet aluminum and weigh practically the same. Both are shorty levers and have reach adjustments.

The WC Clutch came in 3 separated packaging - 1 for the lever, 1 for the perch, and 1 for adjuster. This means that if you break the lever, you can replace just that part. Or if you want a blue housing with a black lever, you can have that too. The levers have sealed roller bearings which are extremely smooth, more so than the RSC with just Delrin bushing (this ultimately didn't affect the performance, read on).

The RSC does come with needle bearing version as well, but I bought the Delrin bushing version with reliability in mind.

Both have a nice tight tolerance with little to no slop up and down. The stock perch flops loosely up and down.

Focus:

The RSC looks more geared towards street use, and WC towards dirt use.

The WC is more offroad oriented both in appearance and functionality -- it incorporates a very nice cable adjuster with precision detents. This means no more pulling apart the cover and using a wrench to unlock and adjust the clutch. For day to day use, it's not really a big deal because I feel clutch fade and need for a quick adjustment is more relevant to racing scenarios.

Ease of pull:
Both WC and RSC Clutches claims also to have an easier pull vs. stock.

On the lever, the cable attachment on the WC lever was at the same position as the RSC's hole that was farthest away from the Bar (the harder pull positions). RSC should be better right?

On the perch, the WC bolt pivot was closer to the bar, while the RSC bolt pivot was farther away. Could this maybe be the equalizer for the WC?

Comparing both clutches and on a rough clutch cable, the RSC was still pretty light even with the added cable wear resistance. The WC seem almost as a hard as stock.

Verdict:
RSC is a keeper. With the level of service and lifetime guarantee, its worth it. The WC might be the winner if you're racing motocross as the quick adjustment is a necessity for clutch fade, but for dual sporting, I think the RSC wins out mostly because how much easier it is to pull.

simonpig screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 02:14 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #90
simonpig OP
packin' heat

How time flies, I just realized that the Hancock Quarry Run is 2 weekends away. Gotta get the new tires mounted up soon.