ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
SOCAL camping 28 and 29 June.

Me and a buddy from work will be camping in two different spots this weekend if anyone would like to join. Either site is accesible by pretty much any bike. The top of Santa Rosa Mountain might be a bit of a bear to get up on a fully faired bike but should be doable with the right rider as long as you don't mind getting your bike dusty, The Santa Rosa campsite will be up 10 miles of fire road so be warned there. Both sites are free of charge.

Night 1 28 June

This will be west of San Diego on the Sunrise Highway around the Laguna Mountain Recreation area. Usually campsites out here are in the 20 dollar a night range. This one is free. However no ground fires allowed only propane type stoves are allowed here since it is undeveloped. There are also no toilet or shower facilities.

http://freecampsites.net/desert-view...tional-forest/

You will have to enter the fireroad via the point shown below on the google maps link below. If you pass the volunteer fire station you have went just a bit too far and will need to turn around (if you are coming from the south). If you are coming from the north the turn off will be right past the fire station. GPS should be pretty accurate in this case. At least it was for me the last time I went. Stay right at the fork in the dirt road and keep trucking. I'll probably flash my light at anyone on a bike coming down the road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=3...sz=15&t=m&z=15

Night 2 29 June
This will be at the top of Santa Rosa Mountain. At about 8000 feet elevation so it should be nice and cool at night. Again this site is free and has a firering and picnic table to boot. Finding a level spot can be challenge but there is plenty of room for tents and vehicles up there. It's right at 10 miles from the pavement up a fireroad to get to the sites at the top. But is well worth the ride. It has become my favorite camp site :) Very beautfiul view from the top AND since it's at higher altitude is much cooler than the area below.

http://freecampsites.net/santa-rosa-yellow-post-sites/

You will also need a California campfire permit to be 100 percent legal even to cook with a propane camp stove.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5404941.pdf

If you want to go and want my cell number PM me and I'll send it out. Last time I was at these spots I got weak cell signal but was still able to send texts and make calls.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
jeepdude65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sounds like a great weekend trip. I wish I could go. Unfortunately I already had plans for Saturday. Thanks for posting the trip. Have a good time.
jeepdude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Little bit of geo caching thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 10:01 PM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Haha. I agree. But no sooner did we pull up to the top of Santa Rosa a Forest Service guy showed up and let us know that fire restrictions were in effect and when I asked about my propane stove he asked if I had my fire permit.

Sent from my iPhone