Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #8131
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Sans crash bars... and rode it hard. Blew a fork seal, probably dented my front rim, had a blast!!!

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #8132
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 140
Sat/sunday

Actually moved the bike from storage (950A S), registered it, spooned off a front tire and mounted a newer and enjoyed my handy new tire mounting tool (http://kauritmoto.com), pulled the wheel a second time to replace front wheel bearings and seals and clean and grease the rest.

Tonight - possibly a waterpump rebuild, coolant flush, oil change and filters, handgrips, kickstand relocate, crash bars and stud upgrade, dual fans, spark plugs, fuel line refresh and quick disconnect fittings added to the lines. oh and scotcbrite pad the headers to remove fossilized mud and dirt, contemplate checking the valves and swingarm bearings and rear wheel bearings.

ok so maybe that will be over the next few nights. (weeks)
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #8133
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post
Replaced the stock handlebar:

http://bykboy.smugmug.com/Motorcycle..._145047-XL.jpg

With a ProTaper "http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=handlebars&sid=6r506320616ox7cpre50s772msk1e807"]KX High Bend from HDB:

http://bykboy.smugmug.com/Motorcycle..._162702-XL.jpg

The ProTaper came with the w/Threaded Inserts already installed . The HDB Handguards fit better on the new bars than on the stock.

The new bars do not come pre-drilled with the holes for the right starter and left controls assemblies.

The differences between the bars are very subtle. The tips of the new bar are a little higher and it has less pullback. As a result, the new bar is a little wider and taller than stock. This means the grips are slightly more horizontal so the outside of my palms are not pointing down towards the ground as much as on stock.

Didn't get a chance to take it out for a long ride yet, but initial impressions is positive.

The stock bars are horrible (for me atleast) I got the Renthal fatbar with the TP199 bend. It's money well spend for me. I always bend my palms outwards when i put my elbows up so since the stockers are bend inwards to mutch igot a really uncomfortable feeling, especially standing up while putting my weight on the front.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8134
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Replaced the balancer shaft seal:

From the short ride home it looks good no visible oil in the catch bottle I have right now on the crank case ventilation.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #8135
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 907
I did this:

Because of this:

... Particularly, this hot mess:

On the way home from NC, the bike started bogging at around 4,500rpm with low fuel in hot conditions or under heavy load. On top of the obvious fuel starvation issue - thanks to the Wisdom Of The Forum - this was also accurately diagnosed as the tanks sucking up too much heat and consequently fuel boiling up.

Hopefully, I wont have to concern myself with that particular little orange foible any more.

Thanks to CJRacer for his filter and O-ring kit, which made this process a fair bit less expensive than it could have been.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #8136
gozirra
Spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
I did this:

What material did you use for this?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #8137
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
I beat mine up

Broke a rear signal, got some sweet new scratches on the windscreen while maneuvering it under a fallen log on a rocky downhill section and the rear plastics vinyls are peeling off from my knees rubbing it with dirt combined, lol! Got some pretty good gouges in the skid pan, bark busters and fork guards too. Was a beauty day and only one minor get off on a sketchy little hump after a creek crossing. Nothing hurt in that one except my pride though... All that in only 60 kms, ha! I'm am gonna be pretty sore in two days though... Been a while since I had that kind of workout!

Time to shop for some new flush mounts... And pines after better suspension yet some more... Here's a bit of the single track I rode. GoPro batts died about 2 hours in (forgot to charge the backups derp) and we didn't take many pics... I wish I had, but the going was pretty tough and no one was in a picture taking mood.

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #8138
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
I changed the bald 908r for the used 908r, I got from Chris in the 90 deg heat in the drive way. was just over a hour the bad part was I am out of beer. what was I thinking. tomorrow the oil change and Pack
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #8139
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Got mine safely home after having STM Suspension got through my forks. It rides down the interstate a lot better now. Before it was really twitchy when going over all the expansion joints on concrete sections of pavement. Now, its butter smooth.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #8140
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Mounted up a gps to the 990

Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #8141
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
What material did you use for this?
I used this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper options, but I liked how thin it is. Plus, fitting it was a PIA and I figured the extra cash was worth [hopefully] not having to do it again.

I also shielded the inner side of the pump housing and had plenty left over, just in case. Smaller sheets are available, but I needed this in a hurry and that was the only size I could get in time.

Haven't had chance to see if it cures the issue yet, but so far I'm pleased with the way it adhered (all I did was clean and degrease the area prior to application) and am hopeful it will at least help delay things. If it doesn't, it could be time for a second fan and low temp thermostat switch, I guess...

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #8142
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
I used this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper options, but I liked how thin it is. Plus, fitting it was a PIA and I figured the extra cash was worth [hopefully] not having to do it again.
Good job!
I wish my tanks and airbox had that insulation but I don't want to go through the process of doing it

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #8143
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Hell, I want to put that stuff on the bottom of my seat.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #8144
gozirra
Spam?

I have used both the DEI tape in 2" and the reflective/kevlar adhered with a spray mount and tape, I figured you had used the sheet as I could not see any lines. (I will now be doing the same because yours looks so good)

Epic work, so clean.

You will no doubt see a difference - even with the lower quality stuff (think Lowes or HD tape) you will find that it really reflects heat well. (just the glue fails at like 200-300 degrees)

(dont fall into the its gold trap, silver works better till you hit the big $ material.)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #8145
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
I did this:
Do that for the air box as well. Your engine will like it better. Drop in IAT guaranteed.

No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!

Vicks screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:19 PM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote