Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
KayAitch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
When I get my flying KH100 back on the road post full rebuild I aim to attempt a 3 day camping tour on it. No highways, just backroads. I hope it survives. I imagine if I'm not wringing it's neck for hours on end it should do the job, right? Bike sits nicely on 85kph or so. High speed.
KayAitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by seviston View Post
I put my 76 Buffalo on a 125lb diet. I will have to take some pics next time I have it loaded up for a trip. The Buffalo and I have ridden over 5000 trouble free miles in the last 8 months. It is very smooth, but with the Jemco chambers ear plugs are recommended.

I check your YouTube videos on occasion just to listen to the sound of your bike. One of the best builds I have seen!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
seviston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I check your YouTube videos on occasion just to listen to the sound of your bike. One of the best builds I have seen!
Thanks Brian. I need to make some updated videos now that I have my GoPro mounts all set up. I am just about done tweaking all the details and it has proven to be a fun reliable package. The built motor & modern suspension has made all the difference.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
BassGuyDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My vote is for the Water Buffalo as well.

I bought one new in '73, and unfortunately I was too young (19) to appreciate it for what it was, and sold it 10 months later to buy a '74 Kawasaki Z1 which was bigger, faster, etc. Sadly I never did put any long-distance miles on it. Wish I had it today.
BassGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
A T500 is a fantastic touring partner.

LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
A T500 is a fantastic touring partner.

Is that the red one?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #22
LasseNC
XSessive!

The red one is my RD350, which is also black now :)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
The red one is my RD350, which is also black now :)
Didn't you post pix a while back of a red T500 ?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
LasseNC
XSessive!

Nope, never owned one :)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,530
I own a two stroke and I love touring but I think it takes a bit of sado masicism to tour on one of these things when there are so many better choices (4 strokes)

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't see any good reason why to do it.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
LasseNC
XSessive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I own a two stroke and I love touring but I think it takes a bit of sado masicism to tour on one of these things when there are so many better choices (4 strokes)

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't see any good reason why to do it.
When thinking old school I don't really agree that 4 strokes are any better.

Why do you think they are better?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Water Buffalo is the best 2 stroke touring bike. Power comes in at relatively low RPM's it really pulls, Nice oil injection system that hold a lot of oil so you do not need to worry about oil every time you gas up, Water cooling keeps the cylinder temps stable, good sized radiator, mine never overheated even though I rode it real hard in hot California summers, I remember the ride being really comfortable, but my previous bike was a GT 380 so I may not have known what comfort really was, I went on a trip once with a buddy that had a Kawasaki 350 triple and I got much better gas mileage. I still remember how mad he was every time we got gas, and how I passed him every time we got near a hill just to piss him off a little bit more.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #28
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I had a GT750, and would agree 100% its a great touring bike. Seems a real shame people ruin them by fitting expansion chambers etc, to ape the looks of the TR750 perhaps?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
I sure wanted my Gt-750 to look like a TR-750, I was 19 when I bought my GT750, the PO had rebuilt the motor and could not get it to start. I took it apart found the problem, (pistons were put into the wrong cylinders) got it running and had a blast. The first time one of my friends showed me magazine article about TR-750's I knew what I wanted my GT-750 to look like. Think for a minute about how many beautiful young women a 19 year old with a GP bike who likes to party could meet.
I could not afford to go the full TR-750 but I did well enough.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243

Hmmm, as far as modern bikes, the 300xcw is notoriously tough for a 2 stroke comp bike. Looks likes a dirt bike now, but the 450 rally(pictured below the 300exc, it was based off of the 450xcw) before the KTM factory team got a hold of it(Not saying you should or take it that far), you might be able to fight a "Rally Style" fairing similar to the one one the , as well as auxiliary rear gas tank(to deal with the poor 2 stroke gas mileage), and low front fender. I think that certain stators increase the oil capacity, and I'm sure you could over sized radiators to assist with cooling. Rubber inserts on the pegs to help with vibration, steering damper to increase stability. Space out the gearing a bit, buy a pipe to inscrease the midrange power. And some high power lighting. It really depends on what you are willing to put up with, it won't be a 990 Adventure r, but it should be able to handle highway speeds. If you want an adventure 2 stroke, this is it with the right mods. But if you want a 2 stroke tourer(like a ST1300), the water buffalo would be a better option.