Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
histguy OP
Histguy

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Love that loop around the lake and am looking forward to your report on your experiences. Lots of great stuff to experience. Hope you have a great trip!
Nice to see that you found us Cannonshot. We looked through your ride report very carefully pulling out many places to see along the way. We are strongly considering making the run up the Gunflint Trail because of your posts. Thank you!
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
dracomm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Around Lake Superior 2013

Have fun on your ride. I suggest you check out this site in the Lake Superior Provincial Park. It is a short but rugged walk.
http://www.lakesuperiorpark.ca/index...d=41&Itemid=77

NSA - the only government agency that listens to you.
dracomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
histguy OP
Histguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelBass View Post
Hope you have a great trip! Will be following your circle route with interest - it's on my list for this year. I just rode #2 & 28 from Duluth to the Sault last week - some nice lake views but there are more if you stay closer to the big lake. +1 on Pictured Rocks. On the North Shore, Neys and Pukaskwa Parks are good spots.
7 - 8 days sounds like lots of time for looking around on the trip.
We are looking to spend a night at Hattie's Cove Campground in Pukaskwa. I have a colleague who works at the Pic River First Nation, so we may stop by for a coffee or beer. Thanks for following our trip.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
histguy OP
Histguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomm View Post
Have fun on your ride. I suggest you check out this site in the Lake Superior Provincial Park. It is a short but rugged walk.
http://www.lakesuperiorpark.ca/index...d=41&Itemid=77
Thanks Dracomm- we were not aware of this place! On the list for sure.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Vitalidle
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Thanks LittleMac. We have heard alot about the Adams Trail Rd between Munising and Grand Marais. We may have to make it fit the schedule. We had found out about the KK Road, 33 Rd and National Forest Road 13 through the Hiawatha National Forest so we were planning to take the southern route so we could hit them.

Tom- perhaps we should hit Adams Trail instead? Or after the Sault on the way home?

We appreciate all the suggestions guys!
Hello histguy. Im from Munising. Just a heads up if you decide to detour to Grand Marais Michigan dont take the adams trail its all gravel. You will want to turn right on hwy 77 at blaney park off of US 2 until you hit hwy 28, then take a right on hwy 28 you will be in Seney MI. for a quarter mile take left to get back on hwy 77 take it all the way to Grand Marais. The road you are looking for is hwy 58 or hurrican hwy it has 198 curves in a roughly 30 mile stretch alot of it on the lake shore. I think the Park Service put all the curves in the road to slow traffic, but it turned it into a bikers dream road. To get on hwy 58 from Grand Marais take a left as you roll into town at the Dunes Saloon and follow the signs. I highly recommend the detour from your orginal plans I dont think you will be disappointed
Vitalidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Vitalidle
n00b

Also forgot to mention for your info I dont recommend hwy 13....at least the first 20 miles or about half the ride from US 2 is pretty crappy. The road really is rough. The last half is nice, but if you detour onto hwy 58 it will get you back on hwy 28 in Munising. Good luck have a safe trip....Im supposed to do this trip in August with a family member and friend.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
histguy OP
Histguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalidle View Post
Hello histguy. Im from Munising. Just a heads up if you decide to detour to Grand Marais Michigan dont take the adams trail its all gravel.
Thanks Vitalidle for this, it is very helpful!. Can I confirm with you that I have this route correct? The only paved road I see from Grand Marais to Munising is hwy 58 that then turns into the Adams Trail. I made a map here- is this the right route?

http://goo.gl/maps/qbqGl

Here is where it says adams trail:

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Vitalidle
n00b

Sorry for any confusion I created. The short answer is yes the track you have highlighted in blue is correct. If you look at the map you posted at the 90 degree turn we call that kingston corners....I was always told if you went straight that was the adams trail. I never knew Hwy 58 to be called adams trail so thats a new one on me lol. I learned somthing new today.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
histguy OP
Histguy

Excellent! No apologies needed. We are just so thankful to have the local help!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
I'm in. Be safe!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
You had me at the Pinery... One of my favorite mid-late summer destinations. Was just up in your neck of the wood in St. Thomas a few days ago. Doing a round the Great Lakes circuit in 3 weeks so your Superior sojourn is of particular interest. Have a great time guys!

I'm in.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #27
histguy OP
Histguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
You had me at the Pinery... One of my favorite mid-late summer destinations. Was just up in your neck of the wood in St. Thomas a few days ago. Doing a round the Great Lakes circuit in 3 weeks so your Superior sojourn is of particular interest. Have a great time guys!

I'm in.
Tavex, great to have you on board. Shoot me a message when you start your Great Lakes circuit, I would like to follow along. We are thinking of doing Lake Michigan or a figure 8 of Erie and Ontario next year.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #28
histguy OP
Histguy

About to leave!

Getting anxious to get on the road, we leave in less than 24 hours! I thought it would be a good time to put a big thank you out to everyone who has helped us with the preparation along the way (especially Denis and Doug for their help with the pulley install).

Also thank you to everyone who sent us suggestions on routes and places to see along the way.

I also want to acknowledge the following two websites that provided lots of good info about the circle tour around the lake. I am sure others who are planning this trip will find them useful (or at least inspiring) as well:

http://www.upcruising.com

http://ridelakesuperior.com/
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Tavex, great to have you on board. Shoot me a message when you start your Great Lakes circuit, I would like to follow along. We are thinking of doing Lake Michigan or a figure 8 of Erie and Ontario next year.
Will do. In the meantime you guys have the time of your lives. Looking forward to you RR.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
V-RAy
V-RAY

Oddometer: 8
Just got back from North Shore of Superior last week . Bring a good camera . I- phones just don't capture the beauty properly . Also bring bug spray and maybe a bug net for your head .The bugs were getting really bad while I was there .
V-RAy is offline   Reply With Quote