Lovely!!!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,160
N!
The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man. ~G.K. Chesterton
joenuclear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Since we're talking about the Sierra Madre of México, who can guess from where to where it runs? Hint: Trick Question
Do you mean the Sierra Madre Occidental or Oriental?

Been waiting for this report, looking forward to the photos.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Very unique....

very unique indeed.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Jimmex has outstanding dirt Skillz, but there isn't a rider on this planet (*) who could have done that ride on a GSA, or GS, for that matter.

Jimmy does have a stable of KTMs of which I think one of them should be brought by him to this event next year.
Trice, do you think a KTM 990 style bike would make the run or do you think it would be to big also ?

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Bienvenido TRBM, I hope the pics of the Sierra are worth two boxes! Coming right up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
I'm in , waiting for the pics
Fear not, SR is aquired his Smugmug today and is loading his plethora of photos to it. He had the most handy camera gig going, which I'll comment on. There are tons of photos from the most important part of this RR - the off-road ride to the Pacific Ocean from Durango!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Lovely!!!
It is lovely! And different!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
N!
Hola Joe - hope you don't have vertigo!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
Do you mean the Sierra Madre Occidental or Oriental?

Hola Paul

Very savvy to mention the Sierra Madre Occidental and the Sierra Madre Oriental. We can see both on the map below.

Many miss the third Sierra, the Sierra Madre del Sur. Some also count in the Sierra Gorda. Which is technically part of the Sierra Madre Oriental.

This ride of course was through the Western Sierra Madre, of Occidental.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
very unique indeed.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Hey Gary

I give this one "unique" status, at least as far as what I've done in Mexico goes.

I've done dirt in Mexico before, on Richard's "Mextrek" rides, and even done some failry gnarly stuff, like "The Unknown Ride", which I'll talk about later.

But for 2 gringos to hook up with a bunch of Mexico riders and tackle terrain like this, well, and once again speaking only for me, it was unique.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
In! This is gonna be good.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Trice, do you think a KTM 990 style bike would make the run or do you think it would be to big also ?

Dave,

This is an outstanding question and I'll do my best to answer it from my perspective.

I hope SR chimes in from his perspective - that of a much more experienced and capable off-road rider than I.

Let me give you my short answer first:

Yes!

No!

Maybe!

First of all, let's look at the roster of motos on the ride: there was't 1 bike in the 990 class that I know of.

I was on SR's DRZ400 and he on his new fuel injected Yammy WR450R

I think this class of bikes is the way to go: lighter and more powerful.

Now, there are, IMO, plenty of sections where the 990 would be right at home. But it also depends on the skill and fitness of the rider. The 990 is about, what, 500 pounds gassed up? I think that's on the heavy side. But what do I know, maybe not too heavy.

What you have to remember are the "gotcha" sections of the Ruta DGO-MAZ. There are some, albeit fairly short, sections that will choke all but the most experienced riders.

Can you ride that bike on really, really, I mean really rocky downhill sections?

Can you ride that bike in long stretches of mud?

Can you ride that bike in long stretches of sand?

There aren't too many "choke point" obstacles, but SR and Hector Jr., both very experienced riders, had their hands full getting through one particularly gnarly section on relatively light bikes. NO WAY would a GSA have made it through without a team of helpers pushing, prodding, and lifting.

So, your 990 would make it through a huge chunk of this route, especially if you accept help in sections, but the price you might pay for a bike of that weight might exact a toll on your body. Exactly how much of a toll you would pay depends upon age, skill, fitness, and experience.

I was very lucky SR held onto his DRZ long enough for me to use it for this ride.

The DRZ had power and lightness, but for me, the one key thing it lacked was a fitting to my dimensions. The bars weren't high enough and in a perfect world, I would have had risers.

You have to stand a LOT on this ride to not punish your body, but you will see video and photos of me sitting a LOT - too much, actually, for the terrain. But I sat more than stood simply because it was more comfortable - standing meant hunching over in a just too uncomfortable position. So make sure the bike you bring is "dialed in" in terms of fit.

This ride starts just as rainy season starts in the Sierra. A truly wild card is just how much it is going to rain. This year, I think it was just about perfect - it rained just enough to keep the dust down (for the most part).

I lost any fear I might have had over deep sand sections, rocks, baby heads, etc. This ride will simply drive that out of you, because you get so tired you want to push through anything to finish.

Trust me, I started CrossFit last September to get ready for this. I cycle pretty long distances every other day. When I read your post (on my IPhone) I was in the middle of a 60 mile training ride today. I think I'm pretty fit for a mid-50s guy. To enjoy this ride, you'll need to bring the fitness for the bike you are riding. A 990? You better be in great shape and have plenty of gnarly experience on it.

You will no doubt see some of the ride photos that look like graded service roads or some stretches that look like Switzerland, perfect dirt surrounded by lazy cows and butterflies drifting about as in some bucolic scene. Do not be deceived!

I know SR is getting the "Wuss" stamp out and is ready to place the ink on my forehead - like I said - he'll have a different take given his experience level.

Since he sold his DRZ, if I do this ride next year, I'll be back on my KTM 500.

I think that's the perfect bike for this type of event.

Thanks for the question
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #41
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194

Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
In! This is gonna be good.
Bienvendio John - I'm glad guys our age aren't sitting around Mack's Bingo Parlor talking about our blood pressure medicines!

My hermanito SR is getting his ride photos sorted out today and tomorrow, but once he does, we'll unleash the meat of this story in photo format.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #43
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Dave,

This is an outstanding question and I'll do my best to answer it from my perspective.

I hope SR chimes in from his perspective - that of a much more experienced and capable off-road rider than I.

Let me give you my short answer first:

Yes!

No!

Maybe!

First of all, let's look at the roster of motos on the ride: there was't 1 bike in the 990 class that I know of.

I was on SR's DRZ400 and he on his new fuel injected Yammy WR450R

I think this class of bikes is the way to go: lighter and more powerful.

Now, there are, IMO, plenty of sections where the 990 would be right at home. But it also depends on the skill and fitness of the rider. The 990 is about, what, 500 pounds gassed up? I think that's on the heavy side. But what do I know, maybe not too heavy.

What you have to remember are the "gotcha" sections of the Ruta DGO-MAZ. There are some, albeit fairly short, sections that will choke all but the most experienced riders.

Can you ride that bike on really, really, I mean really rocky downhill sections?

Can you ride that bike in long stretches of mud?

Can you ride that bike in long stretches of sand?

There aren't too many "choke point" obstacles, but SR and Hector Jr., both very experienced riders, had their hands full getting through one particularly gnarly section on relatively light bikes. NO WAY would a GSA have made it through without a team of helpers pushing, prodding, and lifting.

So, your 990 would make it through a huge chunk of this route, especially if you accept help in sections, but the price you might pay for a bike of that weight might exact a toll on your body. Exactly how much of a toll you would pay depends upon age, skill, fitness, and experience.

I was very lucky SR held onto his DRZ long enough for me to use it for this ride.

The DRZ had power and lightness, but for me, the one key thing it lacked was a fitting to my dimensions. The bars weren't high enough and in a perfect world, I would have had risers.

You have to stand a LOT on this ride to not punish your body, but you will see video and photos of me sitting a LOT - too much, actually, for the terrain. But I sat more than stood simply because it was more comfortable - standing meant hunching over in a just too uncomfortable position. So make sure the bike you bring is "dialed in" in terms of fit.

This ride starts just as rainy season starts in the Sierra. A truly wild card is just how much it is going to rain. This year, I think it was just about perfect - it rained just enough to keep the dust down (for the most part).

I lost any fear I might have had over deep sand sections, rocks, baby heads, etc. This ride will simply drive that out of you, because you get so tired you want to push through anything to finish.

Trust me, I started CrossFit last September to get ready for this. I cycle pretty long distances every other day. When I read your post (on my IPhone) I was in the middle of a 60 mile training ride today. I think I'm pretty fit for a mid-50s guy. To enjoy this ride, you'll need to bring the fitness for the bike you are riding. A 990? You better be in great shape and have plenty of gnarly experience on it.

You will no doubt see some of the ride photos that look like graded service roads or some stretches that look like Switzerland, perfect dirt surrounded by lazy cows and butterflies drifting about as in some bucolic scene. Do not be deceived!

I know SR is getting the "Wuss" stamp out and is ready to place the ink on my forehead - like I said - he'll have a different take given his experience level.

Since he sold his DRZ, if I do this ride next year, I'll be back on my KTM 500.

I think that's the perfect bike for this type of event.

Thanks for the question
Thanks for the reply. I too am a 50+ rider and I do more technical riding than speed. Sand and rocks (baby head up to car hood size)...well that's all I have here in central Texas hill country so no problem there. No rain....no mud ! ! ! I have ridden in the mud but a heavy bike is even heavier in the mud. I currenty ride a 1150 GSA but I am looking at the KTM 1190 R when it gets here because the BMW has gotten too heavy for my 50 year old body. I grew up on cross country and hare scrambles but that was many, many years ago, so I to would have to train a bunch to get the stamina up to ride long mountain runs.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Sand and rocks (baby head up to car hood size)...well that's all I have here in central Texas hill country so no problem there.
I'm in Northeast San Antonio so we're practically in the same neck of the woods

Quote:
I to would have to train a bunch to get the stamina up to ride long mountain runs.
If I hadn't physicaly prepped for this in the manner described, I would have died. SR is 16 years younger than I so no bid deal for him. To me, this event was like the physical stress of running a marathon (which I've done - once )
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #45
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Bigdave, you wouldn't want to do this route on a big bike. With pressured down full knobbies and no luggage you might be able to do it as a personal challenge or on a bet, but a small full dirt bike would be way more fun. Maybe after Tricepilot finishes the RR you will get a better feel for the terrain.

I just got my Smugmug account setup, so here is my first photo.

Could you do it on a big bike? possibly, should you, NO. This is not the place to bring to wrong tool for the job. These guys had to drag over several fallen tree trunks to get the golf carts across this section. That kind of stuff really wears a guy out down in the humid tropical heat.

SR screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 06:16 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote