Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
What Annoys you about your Adventure 1190?

The 1190 Adv is a great bike, the one of the best and most versatile I"ve owned since I bought my first bike 30 years ago. After picking mine up two days ago I've clocked 250 miles on highways, mountain twisties, dirt roads and a bit of mud and noted the following annoyances:

1. The bike sounds like a blender grinding rocks when I decelerate. It seems something is resonating (maybe a panel) in the fairing area. Has anyone pinpointed this?

2. The turn signal switch does not give good feedback...I am never sure if I have actually activated or cancelled it so I find myself having to look down at the instrument cluster to see if it is blinking or has actually been canceled.

3. The windscreen is inadequate for highway riding...I am 6' and although I don't have heavy buffeting above 80 mph, it gets noisy. I had put higher screens on my former 9X0"s and will be doing so on this bike too.

4. I find my boots sometimes slide off the pegs when standing....this did not happen on the 990 and 950. Those rubber inserts may be coming off.

These are minor complaints, kind of like saying a beautiful woman has an ugly big toe.

What annoys you about your 1190?
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Only done about 100 klm s n mine and love it but. That massive fat exhaust has gotta go. I will try and find someone to make a twin system for it.
I don't think it's the prettiest bike around, but then i own Vstrom as well so am quite familiar with Unnatractive bikes.
And i have noticed quite a lot of heat on my left leg. That might become an issue in our warm summers.

Other than that I love it handling, comfort and power are superb.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Flyphil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hello from France,
got my 1190 R for 6 days and 800km now. What a bike, I love it!
I also noticed that the high of left leg seems to warm, and my back also with standard seat. Will try to insulate the seat.
Windscreen is too small but I new it, and the higher model will be installed this week.
Sorry for my poor english...
Flyphil
Flyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I've done 8000km with my R, it is a fantastic bike!
there is only one issue with the heat on the left leg when the temperature is above 30. I solved it by putting a plastic barrier 10 cm hight that allows the hot air to move back before going up.
I mounted the high screen the other day because I'm leaveing tomorrow for Croazia. It is perfect on the motorway but.... at high speed the bike is more instable, expecially in it's higer position (with pennires). At around 180 km/h the bike starts to wave, this is someting that with the low screen dosn't happen (I toke it to 250 without issues).
After 7500km tires where gone, I'm now running on a new set.

Regarding the turn signal switch it's because it's new. After a while it works fine.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
odo is 1350miles adventure 1190

the only annoying thing is the side stand for me!
high speed was ok 100 mph it was stady but i think over 120mph with panniers isnt a very good idea .it wont be comfortable .
screen is ok but not as good as gs water cooled
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
1. The bike sounds like a blender grinding rocks when I decelerate. It seems something is resonating (maybe a panel) in the fairing area. Has anyone pinpointed this?

2. The turn signal switch does not give good feedback...I am never sure if I have actually activated or cancelled it so I find myself having to look down at the instrument cluster to see if it is blinking or has actually been canceled.

3. The windscreen is inadequate for highway riding...I am 6' and although I don't have heavy buffeting above 80 mph, it gets noisy. I had put higher screens on my former 9X0"s and will be doing so on this bike too.

4. I find my boots sometimes slide off the pegs when standing....this did not happen on the 990 and 950. Those rubber inserts may be coming off.

These are minor complaints, kind of like saying a beautiful woman has an ugly big toe.

What annoys you about your 1190?
1. Mine doesn't on decel. Though at lower revs the engine noise is significant and smooths out at 3500 rpm.
2. Turn signal only needs pressure and is rubbish. Its placement forces me to move my hand for a left turn and cancel.
3. I've got a R version with the short screen and have ordered the high one so I'll see how that goes.
4. No for boots slipping.

What annoys me?
5. Crap side stand
6. Crap horn
7. The exhaust is exposed behind the rhs foot peg and I've brushed my leg against it a couple of time and melted my wets (it is rainy season down here). Needs another / longer heat shield there.
8. The exhaust can heat shield is too short and my soft luggage will melt if I use them.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I agree eith the horn...I need ro get a good Fiamm that fits in the same space.
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
It annoys me the OC is turning into the GSpot.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 805
That mine isn't in the country yet!!!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Amen.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
side stand is fine when fitting camel toe
flasher switch just needs getting used to

only things that irritate me,
that the DLR light setting does not remain in "off" setting - I hear not all have that problem, so I will need to convince my dealer

rear brake lever too large, so needs to be made smaller or set lower, as right foot often rests on brake

exhaust and screen will be remedied
Will only know about heat when summer arrives

Great bike!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #12
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Target acquired. Fire. :)

Right on.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
happy pilgrim
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
side stand is fine when fitting camel toe
flasher switch just needs getting used to

only things that irritate me,
that the DLR light setting does not remain in "off" setting - I hear not all have that problem, so I will need to convince my dealer

rear brake lever too large, so needs to be made smaller or set lower, as right foot often rests on brake

exhaust and screen will be remedied
Will only know about heat when summer arrives

Great bike!
I have cured the DLR issue now, but not really sure what I have done? I manually set the DRL to off, and using trial and error held down various buttons on the controller whilst turning off ignition. This has cured it and DRL now stays off all the time. I think it was successful when i held down the up and down arrows whilst switching off ignition? Hope this helps!
happy pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy pilgrim View Post
I have cured the DLR issue now, but not really sure what I have done? I manually set the DRL to off, and using trial and error held down various buttons on the controller whilst turning off ignition. This has cured it and DRL now stays off all the time. I think it was successful when i held down the up and down arrows whilst switching off ignition? Hope this helps!
thanks!
I will give it a try
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy pilgrim View Post
I had the issue too. I have no idea how I solved it. I just tried all combinations of ignition on, engine running. Kill switch on and off. One of those worked and the setting stuck after about a weeks fiddling.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote