Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1231
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
At least he hasn't taken a spring in the face.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #1232
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Reason for tire issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=w6rmCH6vQ9E
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #1233
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,141
Zat's vot I am talking about!

There was cheering in my household when Vettel's transmission let go. I enjoyed that, no matter how petty it makes me look.

Pirelli have a massive problem on their hands. They've been blindsided by tires falling apart on a high speed circuit. They'll have to come up with a fast fix before Spa.

On the one hand, it made for an entertaining race. (Maybe the FIA will mandate that 20% of tires on a weekend will suffer explosive delamination, in the interests of the spectacle ) The safety car helped Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and others.

On the other hand, it's an obvious safety hazard and a huge black eye for Pirelli. And Hamilton was robbed of a likely race win.

Man, there was some intense racing it the end. Alonso's pass on Daniel Ricciardo was breathtaking.

Great fun, Zat's vot I am talking about!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #1234
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Yep we need some random fun back in F1 and people actually looking like they are racing again! I still think there's merit in a crowd initiated scheme to take one driver/car off the track each race at a random moment! The question is whom might it be?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #1235
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_bin View Post
A new bonding process was used for the Silverstone tires, correct?

If so, could't they return to what they used earlier in the year, rather than last year's tires?

As I understood it Pirelli wanted to use some new tires, and got turned down by F1 race direction.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #1236
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Perhaps a 10 pit stop strategy is the way to go?
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #1237
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
No matter how the FIA is gerrymandering the rules to cultivate the 'show', these short performance windows, unpredictable reactions, and latest race catastrophic failures can't have buyers clamoring out Monday to buy what was raced Sunday.
Exactly!

I was going to buy a new Renault yesterday but Vettel's transmission failure put me off.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #1238
wxwax
Excited Member

I wasn't going to buy a Ferrari but Alonso's stirring third convinced me I was wrong. I'm putting Michelins on it, though.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #1239
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,079

Silverstone: explained...

LINK (in case the embed didn't work)

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #1240
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

OK.. just one more

where's the Vettel fans?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #1241
GhoGho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
OK.. just one more

where's the Vettel fans?

He still has fans???
GhoGho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #1242
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhoGho View Post
He still has fans???
if you scroll back a few dozen pages you'll find them...

Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #1243
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Exactly!

I was going to buy a new Renault yesterday but Vettel's transmission failure put me off.

So are you saying that manufacturers, suppliers, and sponsors are not involved in F1 primarily for increasing brand awareness and thereby sales of their products? How many more cars have Ferrari sold due to their racing pedigree? How many sales have Lamborghini lost out on because they don't have a racing pedigree?

Pirelli and before them, Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, etc.. participated for two main reasons, one for the development of new materials, processes, and manufacturing advancements and two, to sell tires, not F1 tires, but road tires.

Certainly there are fans that are influenced by the products and companies they see regularly in F1, why would tires be any different? If someone considering themselves part of the tifosi had the money to burn on a new, mid-engine supercar, which one do you think would be near the top of the list?

Do you think Pirelli's perceptible poor performance this year has helped sales for road cars?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #1244
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Do you think Pirelli's perceptible poor performance this year has helped sales for road cars?
I very much doubt it's had a negative impact, just as I think Indy 2005 fiasco had no impact on Michelin. On the other hand, the brand awareness gained by association with F1 is enormous.

I'm amazed Pirelli can change the tires so quickly. Spa is the looming monster. You don't want exploding tires at Spa, it doesn't have Silverstone's runoff areas.

Quote:
For this weekend's German Grand Prix at the Nrburgring, Pirelli is to use a belt made of Kevlar – a high-strength synthetic fibre that is more resistant to punctures – instead of steel on its rear tyres.

Later this month, from the Hungarian Grand Prix onwards, Pirelli is to use a tyre that fuses the structure, construction and belt from last year with the current compounds from this season.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #1245
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I very much doubt it's had a negative impact, just as I think Indy 2005 fiasco had no impact on Michelin. On the other hand, the brand awareness gained by association with F1 is enormous.

I'm amazed Pirelli can change the tires so quickly. Spa is the looming monster. You don't want exploding tires at Spa, it doesn't have Silverstone's runoff areas.

I'm really surprised its Kevlar (and not twaron) I know its a small detail, but twaron is a lot more widely used than Kevlar

Pirelli's press release has placed some of the blame on the teams (camber, pressure, swapping left & right) along with a bit of mea culpa on not being more forceful stopping bad practices.

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Quote:
(Reuters) - Formula One teams contributed to the dramatic blowouts at Sunday's British Grand Prix by mounting their tyres the wrong way around and using insufficient pressure, supplier Pirelli said on Tuesday.
Rejecting any suggestion that its tyres were dangerous, the Italian company said it would bring stronger rear tyres to Germany this weekend to allay safety fears and then introduce an entirely new range in Hungary at the end of the month.
Pirelli said teams had put tyres intended for the right side of the car on the left to gain a competitive advantage, had run them at lower pressures than recommended by the manufacturer and used extreme cambers.
Pirelli said the kerbs at fast corners, and specifically turn four of the Silverstone circuit, were also 'particularly aggressive'.
Four drivers suffered alarming high-speed rear tyre blowouts at Silverstone - Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Felipe Massa (Ferrari), Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) and Sergio Perez (McLaren).
The debris from the exploding tyres was flung up into the path of cars behind, with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso having one near-miss, and the safety fears plunged the sport into crisis with talk of a possible driver boycott.
Pirelli said the rears to be used at the Nuerburgring on Sunday would feature inner belts made of Kevlar, a reinforced fibre that was a feature of last year's tyres, beneath the tread instead of the steel used so far this season.
The tyres had been made originally for teams to try out in Canada last month. But they were not used due to bad weather and opposition from teams - notably Ferrari, Force India and Lotus - whose cars were easier on the tyres and who feared giving up an advantage.
Those tyres to be introduced in Hungary at the end of July will incorporate last year's structure and the 2013 compounds.
"I'd like to re-emphasise the fact that the 2013 range of tyres, used in the correct way, is completely safe," said Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery.
"What happened at Silverstone though has led us to ask for full access to real-time tyre data to ensure the correct usage and development of tyres that have the sophistication we were asked to provide and extremely high performance that has lowered lap times by more than two seconds on average.
"While we wait for a change in the rules, we will introduce tyres that are easier to manage."
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Robert Woodward)