ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #901
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,536
Dammm nice video Chris. Love me some Bad Company.

Holy !!!!, I did not know we were being scored for dabbing!
My darn light and fast KLR, was just too much for me to handle.

Wish I would had me a 80lbs lighter (wet weight G650 Xcountry BMW=352.7, wet weight 2011 KLR=434) BMW G650 XCountry on that hill.

DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #902
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Great Vid Chris!! Question is, did you dab on day 2??
I don't keep track of that stuff unless I'm riding down Blackbear pass.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #903
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I declare myself "king of the first corner of Elephant Hill on a 650 or bigger on this day"!

Now sand and silt ruts, well that's another thing...
Hey I'm only claiming one corner, on one bike size.

Perhaps some of you can find your own 0.04 miles of the ride to claim king of, with your own qualifiers.

Hey Assfault! it's called sarcasm, sheesh man give an old guy a break. Just trying to have some fun, poke a little and see what kind of creative jabs I can get in return... Nice try at the BMW jab though, but I covered all my bike's BMW logos for a reason, this is my first BMW and I did not want that label and the accompanying baggage, I'm more of a Honda guy. Don't mistake tongue in cheek sarcasm for a flame there ol' buddy! I'd help you push your bike up any hill you like, as I'm sure I'll need the same favor someday. Assfault. I just like saying that... Assfault.

So still waiting for Hellsickle's jabs, he can be pretty creative in this arena.

Ben.... when you referred to dabs on Day 2... perhaps you were referring to my at speed endo followed by full body dab / dirt nap. Clearly that was a major lack of skill. So jab my dab all you want, its part of the fun.

Ok Freak man, nice video, just wish you had some of my crash site, I'd like to see what rut I hit . I noticed you passed one of those vehicles with dogs on top, I saw about 5 of those when parked at the Elk Mtn Road/WoodenShoe Road intersection, never seen that before, I assume they were hunting - what was that all about??

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 09:54 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #904
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
I'd like to hear some comments about your favorite parts of the Ride...

I LOVED the Weather! The ruins were amazing.

But really I meant your favorite road sections! My favorites were WoodenShoe, the Flint switchbacks, and Black Dragon.

(hey did any of you dirt bikes ride any singletrack outside of Moab - any pics or video? curious.)

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #905
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
LOL!...yeah, I saw him running around in camp that evening trying to scrounge brake fluid. However, that probably kept him from dabbing since there was no way he could put a foot down with a runaway KTM.
Hellsicle to the rescue!!

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #906
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Yep, I think Hellsickle was the only one in the whole group who had brake fluid. As we all know, he is always well prepared. I'll bet he even carries a jar of Grey Poupon.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #907
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Yep, I think Hellsickle was the only one in the whole group who had brake fluid.
Jeff saved my ass, no rear brake was really starting to cramp my style. Got to give Ev some props, not only did he bleed the air out in about 2.5 seconds, he also quit using his back brake to show solidarity shortly after I lost mine. We then proceeded to see how fast we could ride thru Hans Flat, made for some interesting lines in a few of the corners
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #908
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Not a big deal. I just took a few tablespoons each out of your, Cathy's, and Mark's bikes. I forgot to remind you to top off when we got home.

FYI, I only started carrying brake fluid on long trips last year. I know a couple of folks who have had their rides saved by this. It's just a few ounces, but enough to refill a dirtbike that may have had a loose fitting.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #909
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Nice video RideFreak! Day 2 was stellar. Sure glad I had 2 brakes that day...

How do you filter wind noise out of your video?

And Snooker, I was right there when you rode that infamous switchback/asphalt ledge on your black beast & I'm still impressed.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #910
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

I started a thread for the ride in Day Trippin

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post21770615

I also grabbed some photos from Ben's website (hope you don't mind Ben) Those of you who went, feel free to add to the thread. I figured this one is sorta buried in the rockies so I'd put it out to everyone.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #911
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I started a thread for the ride in Day Trippin

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post21770615

I also grabbed some photos from Ben's website (hope you don't mind Ben) Those of you who went, feel free to add to the thread. I figured this one is sorta buried in the rockies so I'd put it out to everyone.

Thanks Chris for doing a RR, I probably should have but...... So thanks!

Just to say one more time thanks to everyone, I dont think you could have asked for a better group of people.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #912
sknx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
follow up

Did almost the first day of our last year ride this weekend. Alone is not a smart idea but everything went well.
They pretty much repair the east side of elephant hill so now it's quite easy ; found myself on top without realising. Last year I didn't even attempted and chose the easy way around.

Wife booked camp ground in Devil's Kitchen without being aware what we have to cross. Have to praise my brothers in laws visiting from Europe, they managed to get my Rubicon on the other side without damage. They were grinning like lunatics.

Way back ..... different story. Managed to drop the bike on the second to last ledge and she refused to start with a dead battery and a stomp of front brake lever. Have to love the Warn winches but had to drive to Moab, hook the trailer and recover the bike from the parking lot which on loading started on fist kick... what a beatch.

Here are some memory refreshers in pixels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Thanks Chris for doing a RR, I probably should have but...... So thanks!

Just to say one more time thanks to everyone, I dont think you could have asked for a better group of people.

sknx screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 11:08 PM Reason: misspelled
sknx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #913
sknx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
and the pics :)

sknx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #914
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Did you get out to Bobbys Hole? It was a disaster last fall.

And after coming down that getting up the west side of Elephant Hill was very difficult too.

And much of the road between the two was washed out.

Where is he easy way around Elephant Hill? That would have been good to know.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #915
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Did you get out to Bobbys Hole? It was a disaster last fall.

And after coming down that getting up the west side of Elephant Hill was very difficult too.

And much of the road between the two was washed out.

Where is he easy way around Elephant Hill? That would have been good to know.
I was wondering about that EH bypass he mentioned also. I'm not aware of any way to get around that if you're doing the Beef Basin Loop. EH is quite variable from year to year from my experience. Three years ago a huge section of that asphalt they laid down right at the start on the east side by the parking lot had calved off leaving a 3' step with a gap in the first hairpin. I couldn't get a run at it to make the gap and make the 3' ledge. I ain't no enduro-ince.

The next year with Hellsickle's group, all of us including two good women riders, zoomed right up with little issue. That gap had been closed up with rock stacking by jeepers or someone. The nature of numerous locations on this big loop change noticeably each year or even during the year. It also seems that some of the 4X4's really put a hurt on places in the trail. wb, I've never done that loop clockwise. I've always started with EH.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote