Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #16456
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
School me on the dirt bike headlight. It straps on the the forks tubes with rubber straps. What size bulb is it. Does the headlight adjsut the aim of the beam? How far away from the handlebars does it sit?
Either side is secured with rubber straps. Plan on them breaking and needing to be replaced with new ones if they are original. Not a big deal - just something to keep in mind as age related. The bottom is secured in the middle, much like the "S" headlight. There is a way to adjust the beam up and down, but just one adjustment screw rather than the "S" models two adjustment screws. Only one beam pattern. Light output is underwhelming - especially at night in the rain when you need it most.

It sits pretty close to the bars - definitely closer than on the "S" models. I do not think you could fit the "S" gauges with the dirt headlight shroud. I've a few photos here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...m-_cr_mid_bend

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #16457
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Received my $30 ($35.80 shipped) ebay seat cover from Oregon from seller jrocksqueen2006. No affiliation just a pleased customer.

Also received my cheapo ebay footpegs ($14.99 shipped) from "d2moto", again not affiliated just reviewing my experience. Pretty nice.
Can you post a picture of the seat cover mounted? would like to see it "in use"....I also use the d2moto pegs and the ones I got were fine without issue with casting etc. Identical looking (down to the casting number) of the more expensive ones - probably a knock off. Had them about a year now without issue, and nice and wide compared to stock. Cheaper than welding on extra bits too.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #16458
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post

All this playing around in the shop raised a question: does a dirt model (kick only) use a different frame cover than an SE? I've got a left side panel that fits neither my 250S or my 350SE. It seems too flat. It hits the battety box and the starter solenoid. Inmate wisdom???
Yes. No battery on those.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #16459
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
can't post

But can email it to ya. PM me if interested.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #16460
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 568
Ok. I'm a noob. I have a 96 SET and all this talk has me wondering what exactly is a cush drive and what is its purpose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #16461
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Ok. I'm a noob. I have a 96 SET and all this talk has me wondering what exactly is a cush drive and what is its purpose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
It's a set of rubber "bumpers" that act as cushions between the rear sprocket carrier and the wheel. The idea is that with a thumper (especially big thumpers) the power pulses can hammer transmission gears if there isn't a little give somewhere in the driveline. Dirt bikes don't need cush drives because there's always a little bit of slip between the tire and the dirt, but on pavement the theory is that not having a cush can shorten the bottom end life.
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #16462
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Ok. I'm a noob. I have a 96 SET and all this talk has me wondering what exactly is a cush drive and what is its purpose?
A cush drive is a shock absorber for the driveline. My Ducati has it (sprocket bolts are mounted in rubber bushings) as does my BMW boxer (spring loaded bit in the trans).

Here's a thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411129

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #16463
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Yes. No battery on those.
Did not know this. Good thing too cuase in my shopping for side covers I could have bought a dirt version. Can you visualy tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Either side is secured with rubber straps. Plan on them breaking and needing to be replaced with new ones if they are original. Not a big deal - just something to keep in mind as age related. The bottom is secured in the middle, much like the "S" headlight. There is a way to adjust the beam up and down, but just one adjustment screw rather than the "S" models two adjustment screws. Only one beam pattern. Light output is underwhelming - especially at night in the rain when you need it most.

It sits pretty close to the bars - definitely closer than on the "S" models. I do not think you could fit the "S" gauges with the dirt headlight shroud. I've a few photos here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...m-_cr_mid_bend

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thanks Greg. What about the lense. Is it glass or plastic. How is the quialty of the reflector. Could I stuff a HID in there? I don't have the stock cluster any more.

BTW what is the "secret" toggle switch you got going on here for?
[img]http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...id-bend_11.jpg[/img]
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #16464
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
I need a speedo drive gear hub if anyone has one available.

TIA!

What year? The front axle diameter changed in 94 I think.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #16465
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
An oddity...

My 1996 SE model lacks a cush drive...

The parts diagram confirms this is right - as does internet banter...

What gives? Why was 1996 a cush-less year?

Pretty sure they got rid of the cush drive in the later years. It's really not necessary, the DRZ400 never had one.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #16466
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Did not know this. Good thing too cuase in my shopping for side covers I could have bought a dirt version. Can you visualy tell the difference.

Thanks Greg. What about the lense. Is it glass or plastic. How is the quialty of the reflector. Could I stuff a HID in there? I don't have the stock cluster any more.

BTW what is the "secret" toggle switch you got going on here for?
[img]http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...id-bend_11.jpg[/img]
Glass lens. I tossed up some additional photos here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...ght_and_shroud

That super secret turbo/nitrous toggle switch is good for 10 extra horsepower ;> :> :> :>

Actually, a previous owner had installed it in order to switch off the headlight. I left it on there thinking I might need it some day. But, I've never needed it. I just leave the light on all the time.

If you just want to be legal, the dirt headlight is a fine thing. Very basic functionality in a tough package that will take more than a few crashes to ruin it. But, if you have D/C power with your "S" model, then you could always add some highly functional LED lights. I've been following these two threads, but never installed them on my A/C powered "dirt" model. Now that I have the 1999 SE model, though, a pair of these are likely in my future.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751838

Speaking of LED lights, I had a few dash indicator bulbs burnt out on my new-to-me machine. Rather than purchase regular old incandescents (at nearly the same price at my local auto parts store), I ordered some of these units. I've fit them to dash on my Moto Guzzi I-Convert and they are quite bright and noticeable even in the Phoenix sunshine (we like it hot and bright around here). I'm expecting the same results with the DR350.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...base/227/1062/

As you probably already know, with LED bulbs you match the color of the LED to the color of the lens.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #16467
teddy_kgb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
94 DR350 Dirt - Can't find oil dipstick

I am looking at the top of the frame tube, just behind the steering head, and there is a 14mm bolt where I would assume the oil fill and dipstick should be. Or am I looking in the wrong place? But when I remove the bolt there is no dipstick.

I just bought this bike, and now that I'm thinking about it there is an aftermarket product (which I don't know what it is) connected to that bolt. I guess the previous owner removed the stock screw on dealy with dipstick and replaced it with a bolt and left the dipstick out.

Here are pictures of what I'm talking about:

What is the "Scotts" device at the top? What are my options to have a dipstick? I would like to be able to check my oil level as it is hot as hell here (105 today) and don't want to be running low on oil.

Noobie says thanks.
teddy_kgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #16468
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
That is a Scott's steering damper, and is quite a desirable bit if aftermarket kit. I'm sure any inmate here would gladly trade you that get-up for a stock oil filler cap :)

There is a procedure to check oil on from the bottom end of the motor, but it must be done when cold. A running or warm bike moves oil up into a reservoir in the frame, which is where one would check oil level on a warmed up bike.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #16469
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
the scotts device is a steering damper (a very good quality one too), and presumably to mount it they needed a fixed point on the frame. Under that bolt you will find the dipstick (actually the mounting is pretty ingenious).

edit: went to the scotts site and they don't list a kit for the DR350, so that bracket is custom made by a PO. Hopefully he put the dipstick rod on the underside of that cap with the slightly rounded off head on it!

markk900 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 02:39 PM
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #16470
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Took a ride today after I fixed some issues. New oil, cleaned filter, and cleaned carb. Much better, here is a picture !

smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote