Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #376
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD View Post
How fast is the fastest someone has ever done the TAT?

Thanks,
ETD

17 days for gaspipe and crew. I don't have much interest in the east side, but the pictures make it look a lot like the CDT, just roads and you can really crank it up on that stuff...I rode almost all of Wyoming in one day, not sure if those little 250's can run that pace though, you lose a lot of time coming out of corners compared to a big bike putting down the power with me behind the bars.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #377
ETD
Enjoy!

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
not sure if those little 250's can run that pace though, you lose a lot of time coming out of corners compared to a big bike putting down the power with me behind the bars.

Haha nice. Our plan is to go as light as possible so we can spend a lot of time trail ridding once CO. I think the 250, although small really makes up for it in character and simplicity.

Thanks for the info on camping and speed. I'm starting to feel much better about our time estimates. I just hope we don't run into any major mechanical or navigation issues.

Enjoy!
ETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #378
LouieMCman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Weaver View Post
(edit) I just asked a friend who is a puter geek. PC cooling fans are 12v, and dirt cheap. I'll rig one of those up, & see how it does.

(I used to ride a KLR)
Check out how much air the H-D parade fan moves - WAAAY more than a KLR inspired PC fan would ever dream. I have no doubt that Mother-Motor (H-D) would want to supply you with one for a little off-road r&d.[/QUOTE]

Hi Doug, I agree with Jarrod, A puter fan would not do, those HD fans move a LOT of air over both cylinders.
LouieMCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #379
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
its 'basically stock'

Great looking rig! By the way...is it set up to drive BOTH rear tires? If not..then you will need that winch in some places in Utah...Sandy uphills and steep rock steps might give you a problem if only the one rear is driven...But that is what makes it an adventure!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #380
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,597
yep, just 1 wheel drive. The winch isnt just for show. Plus I have an extra 50' cable.
if I had more time on the build, I thought about an electric motor to drive the sidecar wheel thru the tough stuff. but thats just more things to break.
and break things, I will.

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #381
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Hey Doug, I leave the 11th as well, but from R.I.-maybe I'll catch up to you in the CO passes I actually sold this to buy my WRR-go figure??[IMG] photo Picture988_zps9aeabd39.jpg[/IMG]
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #382
buggsy458
Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
its 'basically stock'

That HD is sick! Although the box looks a bit like a casket...you riding alone?

On a separate note I once heard of a guy riding the TAT in about a week (6-7 days). Does this seem doable? The videos I've seen of Utah make me believe that it would not be possible to ride it that fast. I'd love to ride the whole thing but I don't have 30 days to devote to it. I can only get about half that many days for it. I've begrudgingly come to the conclusion that I'll have to half of it one year and the other half the next.

Good luck Doug!
buggsy458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #383
ETD
Enjoy!

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy458 View Post
On a separate note I once heard of a guy riding the TAT in about a week (6-7 days). Does this seem doable? The videos I've seen of Utah make me believe that it would not be possible to ride it that fast. I'd love to ride the whole thing but I don't have 30 days to devote to it. I can only get about half that many days for it. I've begrudgingly come to the conclusion that I'll have to half of it one year and the other half the next.
!

Myself and a buddy are starting the TAT in early September. We have 16 days to get from Vermont through Colorado and back to Vermont. We plan to try and finish it up a year or 2 after. We are going to ride the eastern section as fast as possible so we can do some trail ridding out in CO before having to head back.

I imagine that if you have a light bike, your navigation dialed, a willingness to ride at night and very good dirt ridding skills then you could do the whole TAT in a week. From what I have seen there is nothing "terribly" technical on the western section. I think for us navigation will be what is going to slow us down. We are going to try and ride everything without GPS we also have zero roll chart experience but we are both good with maps and quick to learn.
ETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #384
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy458 View Post

On a separate note I once heard of a guy riding the TAT in about a week (6-7 days). Does this seem doable?

Anything is possible if you put in the hours per day. I did 6500 miles of dirt around the west a few years ago, 23 days with a moving average of 37.5 mph...that is hauling ass if you've ever looked at rally finishers times/speeds. 37.5 average doesn't seem like much until you try to maintain that speed. To do the whole TAT in seven days you'd have to have multiple two state 18-20 hour days. The nice thing about the way Sam laid the thing out...E to W, you're tuned up and in shape by the time you get to the more challenging trails.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #385
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD View Post
We are going to try and ride everything without GPS we also have zero roll chart experience but we are both good with maps and quick to learn.

I tried to ride the Oregon section with just the roll charts, it wasn't possible due to the fact that Sam doesn't use 'resets' in his mileage, get off track or go look at something cool and your odo is off and you can't get back on track. He should have a reset at every major intersection so that you can find one on the ground, roll your chart to match, zero your odo and get back on the trail.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #386
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
TAT bound

Folks on the road heading to OK. I'll be looking for replacing tires in CO. I recall a good shop in Salinas, CO? I have some tires on standby ready to ship to a shop for changing.. Thanks
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #387
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
I tried to ride the Oregon section with just the roll charts, it wasn't possible due to the fact that Sam doesn't use 'resets' in his mileage, get off track or go look at something cool and your odo is off and you can't get back on track. He should have a reset at every major intersection so that you can find one on the ground, roll your chart to match, zero your odo and get back on the trail.
Most of the electronic odo's and GPS's allow you to manually key in whatever you want the trip to be if you need to adjust.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #388
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Most of the electronic odo's and GPS's allow you to manually key in whatever you want the trip to be if you need to adjust.

You'd be stopped all day fiddling...not for me. The roll charts suck, take the time to convert them to gpx and leave the charts/maps at home.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #389
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
You'd be stopped all day fiddling...not for me. The roll charts suck, take the time to convert them to gpx and leave the charts/maps at home.
Oh I did, I spent a solid week converting all of Sam's maps via basecamp. I was just trying to solve the problem presented :)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #390
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Oh I did, I spent a solid week converting all of Sam's maps via basecamp. I was just trying to solve the problem presented :)

The real solution would be for Sam to fix the roll charts, a roll chart when done right can be as fast as a gps and more reliable than electronics.