ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #421
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Road Conditions Update

My friends and I did some riding on the TMT, where it starts down south. It was totally fine from the Mass border to Becket Road, just north of 23. There was impassible snow on Becket Road.

It seemed like if you were above 1500' in elevation there was snow covering the roads. (We rode other stuff in the area.) Below 1500' and most of the snow was gone and the mud was not an issue.

Give it another 2-3 weeks if you want to ride the whole thing.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #422
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,550
impassable?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #423
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
impassable?
+1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #424
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
impassable?
We were up in the Berkshires this past weekend route scouting for the Berkshire Big Adventure (May 19&19 AMA National Adventure Ride). Many of the unmaintained dirt roads had 3-6 inchers of ice and then snow on top of that. I made it through a couple DRs in 4 wheel drive with my truck. But there were several that I didn't try and wouldn't on my bike either. Too much ice and deep un-plowed snow. That picture is mild compared to what's at higher elevations in the Berkshires right now.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #425
meatwagon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I made it to about Brattleboro VT on the puppy trail from Greenfield on Friday. The higher in elevation I got there, the more inclined I think you can say the same there as well. It is going to be a bad mud season as well.
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #426
VerdiBaritone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Any TMT / PDR trail condition updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
I made it to about Brattleboro VT on the puppy trail from Greenfield on Friday. The higher in elevation I got there, the more inclined I think you can say the same there as well. It is going to be a bad mud season as well.

A friend of mine and I planning to try to do as much of TMT into PDR as we can on the 26th-8. I know it won't be clear ver far up into VT, due to recent snow. Any latest 411 on what we might expect?

We're on a 1200gsa and an F800gs with Anakees and Shinkos.

(I'd go do a recon ride but am stuck in Paris until a few nights before the ride. )

We were thinking about whether there were good alternatives in CT or even eastern PA that might have better conditions now, but can't seem to find anything.

Italian opera. German motorcycles.
VerdiBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #427
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
going up this weekend, anybody been through these tracks lately?

any thing to watch out for?
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #428
jdesro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'll be riding it this weekend as well. I was planning on leaving from Greenfield Saturday morning and riding the TMT south to CT.

I'm sure the trail will be fine, unless we get a huge storm or something in the next couple of days that washes out areas or knocks down trees!
jdesro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #429
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Jdesro ill see you out there today hopefully, we are two gs riders heading north from Otis
Old 06-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #430
jdesro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider257 View Post
Jdesro ill see you out there today hopefully, we are two gs riders heading north from Otis
Yep, we passed you coming the other way in the Becket area, I think it was - inmate flei on his BMW F650GS and me on a Suzuki DR650SE.

Hope you guys had a good day - it was my first time doing the TMT, and I had a blast!

I had forgotten to download the route into my GPS, and we made a couple of wrong turns, but all in all it was a great day! Looking forward to riding it again!
jdesro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #431
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 615
Laugh North to South route sheet?

It WAS a great ride! We rode North to South and used the route sheet I got from this thread (South to North) and tried to read it backwards! Obviously my math skills are not too hot as we somehow got hopelessly confused in the Peru area! Anyone have a North to South route sheet? If not, I will sit down with patience and a calculator and do my best to transpose one...
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #432
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Glad you folks had a great time. Even with the rain this year the local roads have been in good condition.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #433
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea it was a awesome ride. The tracks should be in this thread some where. When went north into the southern puppy dog trail which was sick as well. Here is a link to those routes

vtbmwmov.org/rides/#puppydog
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #434
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Oddometer: 161
Thumb TMT round trip

Started in Greenfield this morning with five other riders. Just after breakfast and everyone is geeking up.

Mr Bill screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 05:37 PM Reason: Huh?
Mr Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #435
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,323
I was along for the day with Mr Bill yesterday. I'm actually one of the 4 in that picture, praying to the GPS gods that Mr Bill didn't get us too lost to be home for dinner.

I've got to pipe up to say here that the return leg (the alternate to the TMT) that we ran yesterday to make it a loop was every bit as good as (maybe even better than, in some sections) the "official" TMT.

We hit a whole bunch of dirt roads with orange "Road Closed" signs posted at their beginnings, but being old and stubborn we'd press on and the roads would turn out to be somewhat maintained (locally no doubt) and quite nice for a dual sport bike. We were thinking that they may post the "Closed" signs to limit liability or something? They were definitely not closed.

The only really closed road that we hit was from 8A in Hawley, Hallockville Rd was gated closed for some reason. Little sign said something about forest conditions? Also Old River Rd in Cummington (on the official TMT) is barricaded.

In any case, if you are looking to make the TMT into a loop, I highly recommend Mr Bill's TMT alternate.