ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post

i would say to go to death valley, but it will be unbearably hot that time of year, though they do have a very nice fancyish hotel in the park.
The fancy-ish hotel, the Furnace Creek Inn, is closed for the summer, starting in mid-May. But the Furnace Creek Ranch is open year-round. Yes, Death Valley is not the place to be in the summer -- but Furnace Creek Ranch has a lovely pool and a good beer selection!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
[QUOTE=Greenflyfarmer;21363942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
What grade does she teach.

She's been teaching in the getto in Richmond for 26 years, elementary school. Started out as a chapter one math teacher became a reading teacher. Now she does reading, coaches teachers, runs all the big testing programs that are required now and breaks up fights now and then (or yesterday). I tried to get her out of there during the crack wars in the late 80' and 90's, but she wouldn't leave. The fights we had about that! I've picked up spent brass on the play ground myself years ago. I'd have left to a suburb school years ago myself, it I taught. To beat it all she grew up a small town girl in the mountians of Virginia. I'm moving her back to our mountian home town and to my family farm in two years.
Ok, I gotta ask...which one of those mountain towns are ya'll from? I grew up in Lebanon, VA.

Hope she has a trip of a lifetime.

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #33
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,767
How about that. I worked near there almost 30 yrs ago. Lived in Abingdon. I grew up in Marion out at Hungry Mother and and she is a town girl. Heading back today for a family gathering at the farm. That'll mean eating, drinking, riding, shooting, reloading, and sawing. Whew, I'll need to get to work to rest.
I'm heading back to HM in a couple of years. Thanks Russ. Miss your home town?

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here's a bucket list of places and nice hotels

Checkem out with google.

Hotel Del Coronado
L'auberge Del Mar
Ritz Carlton Pasadena
Fairmont San Francisco
Clairmont in Berkeley
Mission hotel in riverside ( only ate here but was nice)

San Diego: Balboa Park museums 1 day
San Francisco : " the bay model" 2 hours
Spend a day at Hearst castle. Arrive early and do more than 1 tour. Hit some wineries in Paso Robles. Stay local for the night.

Ok. Gotta get kids to school.

Have a good trip!!
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
Out of all the places I've been to in the US, two of my WANNA GO BACK TO places are Yosemite and Coast Hyway 1.
Fixing to head out on my motorcycle in a few days. San Diego to Washington along the coast is the plan.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,771
maybe you could rustle up a t-shirt from Scuderia West/KTM twins in San Fransisco....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,768
If you guys like beer, the Lagunitas Brewery just north of San Francisco shouldn't be missed. A couple months ago, I happened upon a really good gospel bluegrass band at their taproom stage. The oysters are good along that part of the coast too.

For t-shirts, how about a Santa Cruz Skateboards shirt, or maybe a Hwy 1 shirt? When I was in high school, everyone wanted a Sex Wax (surfboard wax) t-shirt. You will see more designs in SF than you can shake a stick at.

If you happen through Sonora, shoot me a PM. My wife is a school psych, and I bet they could share some stories. We have some great restaurants too.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 11,043
+1 on all those who have said yosemite. It's worth taking some extra time off the coast to go see it.

I'm probably beginning to sound like a broken record a bit in these threads, but anything norcal I suggest you get in touch with K.L.Rocket for some ideas.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
How about that. I worked near there almost 30 yrs ago. Lived in Abingdon. I grew up in Marion out at Hungry Mother and and she is a town girl. Heading back today for a family gathering at the farm. That'll mean eating, drinking, riding, shooting, reloading, and sawing. Whew, I'll need to get to work to rest.
I'm heading back to HM in a couple of years. Thanks Russ. Miss your home town?
I left there in 1981 after graduating from Va. Tech. We bought a house in Abingdon a few years back and are planning to spend time there to see family and get out of the Tucson heat when I retire which may be next year. Went to HM many times as a kid.

My wife and I are doing a 4 day trip from Tucson to San Jose to pick up a Bike I bought so I found this thread when looking for some things to do or eat on Highway 1. Have fun on your trip.

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #40
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
maybe you could rustle up a t-shirt from Scuderia West/KTM twins in San Fransisco....
Seriously one of the best moto shops I've been in. Small, but packed full of goodness
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #41
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

[QUOTE=High Country Herb;21485741]If you guys like beer

I have heard of that refreshing beverage and I was thinking that perhaps this summer I might try one.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #42
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

We are heading to Yosemite and made it as far as Bass Lake. Sitting in a bar on the lake drinking Firestone IPA. An inmate and Expat Brit Tony on a 950 told be a out it on Big Sur. Hot here but the coast up to Monterey was beautiful. Broke out of the June gloom in Santa Barbara. Nice there, enjoyed the mission. Liked ?? Morro too. Getting closer to Yosemite in way looks like a nice place in Fish Camp. Then to SF. Thanks for the tips. Good heavens the fish I have eaten has been wonderful and the wine and beer. Y'all have cheap liquor prices too. Nice sc
Single malt isley scotch for one third the price of VA ABC stores, not that it would have been on the shelf there. Good times.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #43
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,768
I'm glad to hear you are having a good trip.

It sounds like you might be taking Hwy 120 out of the park to Yosemite? Pretty good fish and chips at the Iron Door Saloon in Groveland. That saloon is tied with the one in Bolinas (just north of SF) for the oldest continuously operating bar in California.

If you come through Sonora on the 4th, my church is having our annual Family Day, complete with small water slide and hot rod show, all free: http://www.christianheights.org/
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote