ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #3031
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 965
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I hope they get the parts availability issue straightened out. I really like my Terra, but would not want to have it sidelined for weeks or months as some already are suffering.

What a strange situation, finally a good all-round DS design for so many people and it's probably a one-year phenomenon.
Get in line behind the TE-630 owners!!!

I haven't had too much of an issue with parts but on the flip side I haven't needed many.

I'm sure were all just more worried then need be although I feel for Husaburg fans......I've been hearing they're not planning to make those anymore.
__________________
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1

Pcfly screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 07:08 PM
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #3032
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I'm sure were all just more worried then need be although I feel for Husaburg fans......
I've been hearing they're not planning to make those anymore.
They're just going to absorb the 'bergs into the Husqvarna family....and the last few years of 'bergs have so many KTM parts in them, it's mostly the difference in the color of the plastics.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Now you know what Aprilia owners go through!
what are you talking about?

Aprilia parts are no harder to get than any other euro brand...I had an RSV Mille and it was never an issue.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #3033
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Surfinpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia P.A.
Oddometer: 124
Did anyone find a comfy seat yet?
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #3034
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Did anyone find a comfy seat yet?
I find the stock one pretty comfortable, but I've thought about making my own. I've got a mess of memory foam laying around, and shaping a seat with a little sell width up front and no bump in back is tempting. I'll report back if I tackle it this week.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #3035
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Did anyone find a comfy seat yet?
did you look at High Five's in the other thread?
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3036
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,468
Doh!

I was installing my SW-Motech goodies when this happened.



This goes into the upper left side engine mount. ghead:

Everything was generously dosed with lock-tite from the factory. It made removal of a few bolts very difficult. I used every trick in the book, and I finally just busted out the impact wrench. This is a no-no for a reason. Why? Because it was laying beside me for reassembly, which was still a pain in the butt. I have never seen so much lock-tite on a motorcycle.

So when I can't get the right side past the first few turns, I grab the impact wrench. Success. Left side, same problem. No success. I fubar'd it, at 7pm. I have a short window before I leave town again, and I'm determined to ride this thing, despite the rain and honey-do list. So I set out to find a replacement bolt. I finally get lucky at Lowe's, but it is a 17mm hex head. Oh well, it works for now. Maybe I'll get lucky at Fastenal tomorrow.

It could have been worse. I could have stripped the hole. Fortunately I only damaged the first row or two of threads, and I was able to clean it up. Nevertheless, it turned a quick install into a 5 hour fiasco.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #3037
rride
Honda NH 750
 
rride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: LA, CA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Did anyone find a comfy seat yet?
Ergonomically and anatomically, this do it yourself is some of the best designs I've seen to date: much better than most expensive jobs. You could always specify the way its build if someone else builds it. Foam is not high at all!

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/pics.htm

And this is interesting although not 100% correct, it gives good relationships. It may have the TR 650, but I know its got your BMW model or something close.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Good luck and post your thoughts. I'd be interested in what you think is best. I like the commode seat design for the sensitive jewels: male or female.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #3038
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Doh!

I was installing my SW-Motech goodies when this happened.



This goes into the upper left side engine mount. ghead:

Everything was generously dosed with lock-tite from the factory. It made removal of a few bolts very difficult. I used every trick in the book, and I finally just busted out the impact wrench. This is a no-no for a reason. Why? Because it was laying beside me for reassembly, which was still a pain in the butt. I have never seen so much lock-tite on a motorcycle.

So when I can't get the right side past the first few turns, I grab the impact wrench. Success. Left side, same problem. No success. I fubar'd it, at 7pm. I have a short window before I leave town again, and I'm determined to ride this thing, despite the rain and honey-do list. So I set out to find a replacement bolt. I finally get lucky at Lowe's, but it is a 17mm hex head. Oh well, it works for now. Maybe I'll get lucky at Fastenal tomorrow.

It could have been worse. I could have stripped the hole. Fortunately I only damaged the first row or two of threads, and I was able to clean it up. Nevertheless, it turned a quick install into a 5 hour fiasco.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Step Away From the Motorcycle! Nah, just kiddin'
Good save I'd say

Not sure if it's always strictly Kosher but sometimes applying heat to Loc tite'd fasterners can persuade them. Not possible in all cases of course but has worked for me on occasion.

Another way is Air tools. Seems counter intuitive ... but some mechanics say the sudden shock of the air tool is less likely to snap a bolt.
I have no proof of this but plenty of Pros use Air tools on tough, high torque bolts.

I'd consider myself lucky to have got it out in one piece and not leave part of it STUCK in there. Not THAT would be a bad scene!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #3039
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Did anyone find a comfy seat yet?
Seat Concepts will always take care of you!

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...0&sort=nameAsc
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #3040
AllOrds
-------------
 
AllOrds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Perth/Sydney (to and Fro)
Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Doh!

I was installing my SW-Motech goodies when this happened.



This goes into the upper left side engine mount. ghead:

Everything was generously dosed with lock-tite from the factory.

That's nothing....Try removing the footpeg hangers for an install of a centre stand........Go on, I dare you!!
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #3041
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds View Post
That's nothing....Try removing the footpeg hangers for an install of a centre stand........Go on, I dare you!!
I did the left side only, just for the skid plate. It was enough for me to decide that I really don't need a center stand right now.

I took vacation this week to get some stuff done on the house and do some riding before I leave town again next week. Today's forecast: 90% chance of thunderstorms with a flash flood warning until tomorrow night. Same forecast for almost every day this week. Looks like the TR won't be getting many miles in this week. I'll ride in the rain, but crazy thunderstorms are a whole different ballgame.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #3042
megatiker75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Italia , Varazze (Savona-Genova)
Oddometer: 26
I picked up the bike and am very happy. sorry but that happens to me every now and then when accelerometers with a little gas has a vacuum and risk off. It does yours?
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #3043
rride
Honda NH 750
 
rride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: LA, CA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatiker75 View Post
I picked up the bike and am very happy. sorry but that happens to me every now and then when accelerometers with a little gas has a vacuum and risk off. It does yours?

I did not quite understand your translator, but if you are talking about low rpm momentary stalling, get used to it.

Single cylinder EFI's just get a mist of gas every 360 degree rotation, so low rpms do not support a continuous steady state flow of combustion (or this one won't because is geared for higher top end power than most thumps - it gets good gas mileage though). But just get above that acceleration 'gap' and it will sing. You just do not have any low rpm power, so keep your revs up.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #3044
megatiker75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Italia , Varazze (Savona-Genova)
Oddometer: 26
I think you understand. but I had mono, and no other has ever given me something goes wrong like. I contacted the dealer to 1000km make me an update of the control unit. hopefully good. the problem is that it lacks power. but just tends to stall.
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #3045
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatiker75 View Post
I think you understand. but I had mono, and no other has ever given me something goes wrong like. I contacted the dealer to 1000km make me an update of the control unit. hopefully good. the problem is that it lacks power. but just tends to stall.

This is precisely the issue that many of us have experienced. I was fortunate that mine was setup correctly before I picked it up. There is magic on the MOSS computer software that interfaces with the ECU on the motorcycle. I do not know everything that they do, but a good technician can sort it out.

Some riders have had the throttle position sensor adjusted with the MOSS.

Others have had the fuel mapping adjusted.

Mine was delivered perfect from a dealer that knew what to look for. Perhaps the users who have had the issue fixed can provide more info.

There is also a thread devoted to it on Cafe Husky.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mos...awesome.29435/
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014