ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What phone has the best GPS?
iphone 20 19.05%
android 42 40.00%
windows 5 4.76%
Quit being so cheap and buy a gps 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
I had the Garmin maps and software on my Windows 6.1 HTC, I would guess one of the issues with moving that to Play, is the relative prices that Garmin asked versus the typical Android app.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Part of the problem was that Garmin blew their Android load by trying to make a Garmin branded phone. It flopped, but Garmin is sadly still trying with android powered non-phone devices like the Monterra.

I am sure what is holding Garmin back from putting out a GOOD Android app is their rightful fear that phone's will make their hardware obsolete. That will happen. Convergence is a fact of life.

I use my phone (Droid Razr Maxx HD w/4.7" screen) as my GPS and it works great especially because I wear ear buds when I ride. I can listen to music which gets automatically muted when I am getting directions, etc. For the few little inconveniences of using your phone vs using a dedicated GPS unit I can't possibly see myself shelling out $600 to Garmin.

Besides that, Garmin's display of it's maps on the device is just awful. Zoom out once and all you see are a couple colored, unmarked veins. That's helpful, thanks Garmin. I just finished a 2,100 mile trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail with a friend who had the latest Zumo (350/360?), and trying to use his device to plan a route was useless. When we had a data connection we used Google Maps on my phone and OSMand when we didn't.

P.S. His device bricked at the end of the trip and is now enroute back to Garmin.

I have used a LOT of different apps and had a couple review threads going in the GPS forum, but they are probably a bit too outdated now.

Google maps and Google navigation are just awesome, but there is no easy way (that I know of) to import or use a custom route even though the desktop browser version of Google maps is one of the most awesome tools for creating custom routes. I hope like hell that Google soon adds that feature, and Garmin hopes like hell they don't.

Speaking of creating custom routes, RideWithGPS.com works great.

There is an app called Wayfinder that will make Google Navigation follow a GPX track or route, but it's definitely not user-friendly and still requires a data connection for the navigation.

OSMand is a good all-arounder, but it has it's issues. The maps are decent, not great. It will also do turn-by-turn directions, even over an imported GPX route, but it can be buggy.

CoPilot is a really nice app and the ability to add waypoints and have your route take you through them is really nice. Plus you can drag your route kind of like Google maps so you can do some really nice route planning right from your phone or tablet. PLUS, when you download it you choose what maps you want cached on your phone. I chose all of North America. No data connection needed after that.

Navigon I hear is good, but they don't have a trial version (that I'm aware of) and I'm not shelling out $50 to find out if it sucks or not.

The ONLY feature I haven't been able to find is an app that will import a custom route that you have created off-line and give you rock solid, turn by turn directions through that route.

But, for me, my phone is the way to go.

AND even though I am not a fan of Garmin hardware I would give them $100 for a fully functioning Garmin Android app.

Thanantos screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 11:19 AM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #47
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,441
I don't use a mounted GPS on my bikes. I just fish my phone out of a pocket at a stop for the rare times I want to see a map. But I have officially retired the marine chart plotter in our boat in favor of a waterproof 7" Android tablet running a $10 app. I have a different $10 app on my phone as backup. Garmin wants well over $1000 for a marine GPS with a decent sized screen and the same features. Right. I am into this tablet for less than $250 and the only feature lost is ability to see it in bright sunlight. My own experience with iPads is that they are pretty fragile. So far this Pantech Element has been unbreakable.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #48
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
And back to my question. CoPilot's POI and routing can be funky and I've decided to ditch it. I've also given MapFactor a spin. While spartan, it does get the job done, and I assume that with the paid update to Tomtom, the POI and routing will dramatically improve.

But all things said and done, I've decided to go with Sygic. I hate the app's layout, but the routing and POIs are impressive and on par with Garmin and Tomtom. I think they use Navteq, so it's pretty much the same footing as tomtom. All said and done, they have something which works reliably, so they get my $60 for the NA maps.

This bring me back to my rant about garmin. They have what I want in the monterra, and if only they'd release that darn app standalone, I would have gladly paid them what I am going to pay Sygic. I agree with Thanantos, I'd gladly pay them 100 bucks for an app that works like their standalone devices rather than forking out for Sygic. But I guess they don't want me as a customer.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #49
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,926
Just buy a real GPS.

It's about ease of use. To flag a waypoint along a route ... I don't even know how to do that on my phone, it takes so many menu, press-and-hold, click this, drag that operations. With my GPS, "Mark" button, "Enter" button to save the point. Don't even have to look at it.

The few times I've been in my truck and left my GPS at home, trying to find and navigate to an address takes for-fucking-ever on the phone. GPS is a little more difficult for data-entry, but a lot more forgiving than the tiny-ass touch screen keys on the phone. And the GPS doesn't try and auto-correct street or city names.

Right tool for the job n' shit.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Just buy a real GPS.

It's about ease of use. To flag a waypoint along a route ... I don't even know how to do that on my phone, it takes so many menu, press-and-hold, click this, drag that operations. With my GPS, "Mark" button, "Enter" button to save the point. Don't even have to look at it.
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. These are my main reasons for not wanting a standalone GPS:
  1. Another thing to carry. A GPS isn't really heavy, but that's another thing to mount, another device to hot wire, and another thing that can break down.
  2. 600 frikking dollars for a decent one. Garmin's hardware is easily 2-3 generations behind current smartphone technology, and is on par with cell phones 6-7 years ago. The display is 240p, dim, and is not even a comparison at all with a Galaxy S3 which is last year's tech by now. The SIRF chip used for GPS is the same, and it comes with a measly 4gb storage (I am guessing). I'd still be willing to put up with this if they were priced accordingly, but Garmin wants 600 dollars for the outfit. I am all for paying good money for well engineered products, but this in my opinion is just ripping customers off because they can. Especially when the car GPSs start at less than 100 bucks.
  3. Did I mention old hardware? The CPU on most GPS' I've looked at are too slow. Searching POIs take forever, and is an exercise in frustration.
  4. Integration with my music. If I am on a long ride, I'd like to listen to music. I prefer my GPS to lower the music volume when it's relaying some instructions. I also like to listen to Spotify, streamed over 3g. I also like to switch between Spotify, Pandora, and my collection of lossless FLACs. No GPS does this.
  5. I don't take phone calls when riding, but I like to be alerted about them with a ring tone so that I can pull over and take an important call. I also like my music to be paused during the phone call and resumed afterwards. All without having to monkey around.
  6. This is a personal preference, but trying to input an address into a GPS has always been frustrating to me. I like the voice prompts of a phone, and vastly prefer the key pad on a phone to the GPS' keyboard.
I could go on with this topic, but I'd rather prefer a navigation app. The value add from Garmin and TomTom is due to their software, and there is no technical reason why an app cannot have the same or better feature sets compared to the standalone devices.

Quote:
The few times I've been in my truck and left my GPS at home, trying to find and navigate to an address takes for-fucking-ever on the phone. GPS is a little more difficult for data-entry, but a lot more forgiving than the tiny-ass touch screen keys on the phone. And the GPS doesn't try and auto-correct street or city names.

It's true by and large for Google Maps. But Sygic, CoPilot and MapFactor are incredible and are almost on par with a GPS. I'd give it a couple more years before they fully catch up. Sadly, that doesn't help me because I needed some shit that works within this month.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Just buy a real GPS.

I suppose its what you're used to. My wife has a Nuvi and everytime I try to use that thing I get annoyed.

I'll stick with my phone.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #52
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Nokia. A GPS is built into the Symbian Operating System, as well as full maps. All of this without needing a data connection.
Don't they have maps on Nokia Windows phones as well? Anyways, it is one of the better GPS (road-) navigation systems around (I prefer it to Garmin's stone-age mapping). They own Navteq and offer all the maps for free.

I have the whole world, or at least what is mapped of it for navigation system use, in my phone and usually don't have to worry about maps when I travel somewhere. I also don't have to carry around a clutzy dedicated GPS device.

As for ruggedness, my Zumo died after leaving it in the car during daytime in Winter once. That did not impress me much...

Still, I guess the ease of use and other advantages will make me buy a Montana soon for the motorbike. No need to hassle about with waterproof cases, plugging in the phone after each stop, etc. Plus Topo maps and so on.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #53
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Google maps and Google navigation are just awesome, but there is no easy way (that I know of) to import or use a custom route even though the desktop browser version of Google maps is one of the most awesome tools for creating custom routes. I hope like hell that Google soon adds that feature, and Garmin hopes like hell they don't.
It's already possible. You can create GPX files from Google Maps very easily: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

1) Create your Google Maps, car or walking work fine.
2) Add the GMapToGPX to your favorites icon bar, http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/
3) Click the GMapToGPX favorite and select FULL, copy all the text output and save in a file as YourFile.GPX
4) Go to www.GPSies.com, Track Creator, import a file and load YourFile.GPX
5) Once loaded click the Refresh Elevation button
6) Now export it as a GPX Route
7) Viola, you now have a route that you created in Google Maps as a full fledged GPX file with elevation. You can import it into the GPS App/Device of your choice.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
So what's the recommended android app?

I am looking for offline Navigation, and have been demoing through some of them. Here's what I've been through so far:
  1. MayDroyd and other OSM variants: Lousy map data, great price (free).
  2. Sygic: Great POI/map data, lousy interface
  3. CoPilot: Much better interface, hit or miss with POIs.
I don't mind shelling out $50 or so for the best app, but I'd rather not demo through all of them, and there are a lot to choose from. So, what is the FF recommendation for a good GPS app on android?
I went for Sygic for the simple reason that it was the only one available with world wide map swhich you can install to memory card instead of phone's internal memory. It tried also Route66 and Navigon. Sygic interface is a bit different but you get used to it. It actually has lot of good functions.

About the original poll. I prefer delicated GPS (Montana) for riding. For driving and other uses I have waterproof Android (Sony) and non waterproof Windows (Nokia). I have ditched my old Symbian (Nokia Navigator) and Magellan.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #55
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
OsmAnd and others will let you download the OSM maps. 10 regional downloads on the free version.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #56
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Phones are okay for navigation where there is data coverage. I use a Samsung Galaxy 3 with both Google maps and Backcountry Navigator. Both are great apps, Google for main roads and BCN for the boonies. Google is great for finding a local bar or restaurant. It's more up to date than any GPS software available.

Phone deficits - hard to mount, keep charged, and use while riding, and not the best screens in bright sun. You can pre download maps for use beyond 3/4G but that only works if you don't change your plans. Preloading maps requires a higher level of tech savvy on an app than loading stuff on a GPS.

GPS units work better in most ways, especially while in motion with gloves on. Phones are okay if you can't afford a GPS and that's all you have. Phones are pretty good in a car where you don't have to worry about weather and can work a touch screen but you still need data service. Most GPS units don't have voice recognition but that hardly matters rolling down the road wearing a helmet.

My preference, belt, suspenders, and duct tape: GPS, smartphone, and paper map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 11:07 PM
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #57
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Phones are okay for navigation where there is data coverage. I use a Samsung Galaxy 3 with both Google maps and Backcountry Navigator. Both are great apps, Google for main roads and BCN for the boonies. Google is great for finding a local bar or restaurant. It's more up to date than any GPS software available.

Phone deficits - hard to mount, keep charged, and use while riding, and not the best screens in bright sun. You can pre download maps for use beyond 3/4G but that only works if you don't change your plans. Preloading maps requires a higher level of tech savvy on an app than loading stuff on a GPS.

GPS units work better in most ways, especially while in motion with gloves on. Phones are okay if you can't afford a GPS and that's all you have. Phones are pretty good in a car where you don't have to worry about weather and can work a touch screen but you still need data service. Most GPS units don't have voice recognition but that hardly matters rolling down the road wearing a helmet.

My preference, belt, suspenders, and duct tape: GPS, smartphone, and paper map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You missed the point where Nokia doesn't require a data signal. Their built-in GPS can be set to satellite only. If you like it can also talk in one of many languages & dialects. My favourite is surfer dude.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #58
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
You missed the point where Nokia doesn't require a data signal. Their built-in GPS can be set to satellite only. If you like it can also talk in one of many languages & dialects. My favourite is surfer dude.
Android phones don't require a data connection either.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #59
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. These are my main reasons for not wanting a standalone GPS:
  1. Another thing to carry. A GPS isn't really heavy, but that's another thing to mount, another device to hot wire, and another thing that can break down.
  2. 600 frikking dollars for a decent one. Garmin's hardware is easily 2-3 generations behind current smartphone technology, and is on par with cell phones 6-7 years ago. The display is 240p, dim, and is not even a comparison at all with a Galaxy S3 which is last year's tech by now. The SIRF chip used for GPS is the same, and it comes with a measly 4gb storage (I am guessing). I'd still be willing to put up with this if they were priced accordingly, but Garmin wants 600 dollars for the outfit. I am all for paying good money for well engineered products, but this in my opinion is just ripping customers off because they can. Especially when the car GPSs start at less than 100 bucks.
  3. Did I mention old hardware? The CPU on most GPS' I've looked at are too slow. Searching POIs take forever, and is an exercise in frustration.
  4. Integration with my music. If I am on a long ride, I'd like to listen to music. I prefer my GPS to lower the music volume when it's relaying some instructions. I also like to listen to Spotify, streamed over 3g. I also like to switch between Spotify, Pandora, and my collection of lossless FLACs. No GPS does this.
  5. I don't take phone calls when riding, but I like to be alerted about them with a ring tone so that I can pull over and take an important call. I also like my music to be paused during the phone call and resumed afterwards. All without having to monkey around.
  6. This is a personal preference, but trying to input an address into a GPS has always been frustrating to me. I like the voice prompts of a phone, and vastly prefer the key pad on a phone to the GPS' keyboard.
I could go on with this topic, but I'd rather prefer a navigation app. The value add from Garmin and TomTom is due to their software, and there is no technical reason why an app cannot have the same or better feature sets compared to the standalone devices.

It's true by and large for Google Maps. But Sygic, CoPilot and MapFactor are incredible and are almost on par with a GPS. I'd give it a couple more years before they fully catch up. Sadly, that doesn't help me because I needed some shit that works within this month.
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. This is my main and only reason for not wanting a do-it-all device:

1. Break/lost it and you lost everything.

One job, one tool. I'm this kind of guy. Even if I'm an IT tech.

You prefer a dedicated smartphone as your GPS? No problem with that. If you prefer the ergos, the software, if you find it more responsive, whatever.

I can lost/break my GPS. I won't be happy but it's not the end of my life. I mean, I can wait few weeks and take my time to read some reviews and wait for a deal to buy another. Same for a camera. But my phone? Everything at the same time?

Anyway, to each his own
Old 07-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. This is my main and only reason for not wanting a do-it-all device:

1. Break/lost it and you lost everything.

One job, one tool. I'm this kind of guy. Even if I'm an IT tech.

You prefer a dedicated smartphone as your GPS? No problem with that. If you prefer the ergos, the software, if you find it more responsive, whatever.

I can lost/break my GPS. I won't be happy but it's not the end of my life. I mean, I can wait few weeks and take my time to read some reviews and wait for a deal to buy another. Same for a camera. But my phone? Everything at the same time?

Anyway, to each his own
Good thread.

MotionX has been good to me, for phone and for ipad, as I mentioned. All of this has gotten me to look into GPSs though, even as I curse at my Nuvis, audibly. Really liking the look of the Garmin GPSmap 62st for versatility...

It would be ludicrous to think that we were new to this. We do this, this is what we do.
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote