Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #76
chasssmash OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan325ic View Post
. I accept that death will catch up to me no matter what I do. How do you want to die?
If only you could be sure you died in a bad crash:-)

I'm the same as you in so far as I.ride daily and it's basically my main means of transportation. Still it's nice to live.in reality and know the real risks of riding.

It won't stop me- I just don't like deluding myself
chasssmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #77
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasssmash View Post
A new book on risk (cannot remember the name of the top of my head)by well respected risk analysts pointed out that statistically spending a day riding a motorcycle (400 miles)is a little more dangerous then spending a day fighting in Afghanistan.
In an urban area, I would have agree with that except for make it a little less.....

what credible source are we talking about?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #78
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,942
and what if you're fighting in Afghanistan on a motorcycle?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #79
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 581
Didn't read through the whole thread, but there have been periods of time that more military members were killed on motorcycles than were killed in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Granted, in the same time frame, more military members were killed in non-combat situations than combat situations (vehicle rollovers, heart attack etc)

D
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #80
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Actually you are a troll, and nobody wants to read your entire posts. You should take a course in efficient writing and learn how to curb your arrogance...
I do like to read his posts, they are usually quite well thought out and offer an interesting perspective (which I agree with sometimes, and sometimes not).

As an aside, relevant to the discussion, what is defined as "fighting in Afghanistan"? Just being there or actually fighting with guns blazing, being shot at? Or just being in Afghanistan? As a Western soldier, afghan soldier, Taliban, suicide bomber, civilian, who exactly? They all have vastly different mortality rates.

It is a dumb comparison, if you ask me. Then again Dakez already said what had to be said a few pages ago
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #81
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I do like to read his posts, they are usually quite well thought out and offer an interesting perspective (which I agree with sometimes, and sometimes not).

As an aside, relevant to the discussion, what is defined as "fighting in Afghanistan"? Just being there or actually fighting with guns blazing, being shot at? Or just being in Afghanistan? As a Western soldier, afghan soldier, Taliban, suicide bomber, civilian, who exactly? They all have vastly different mortality rates.

It is a dumb comparison, if you ask me. Then again Dakez already said what had to be said a few pages ago
Lets, for arguments sake, say Taliban suicide bomber on a motorcycle.

Should he ride ATGATT or not? Hypothetically, as a result of not wearing a spine protector and a leather jacket (because it is too hot) he dies in a crash on the way to the target, without blowing up. He has still thrown his life away, for a stupid reason, but without first maiming some innocent women and children. Does he still get his 72 virgins?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #82
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post

Perhaps the title should have been "Riding a motorcycle is as dangerous as motoring a Minsk in Afghanistan".
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #83
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

Should he ride ATGATT or not? Hypothetically, as a result of not wearing a spine protector and a leather jacket (because it is too hot) he dies in a crash on the way to the target, without blowing up. He has still thrown his life away, for a stupid reason, but without first maiming some innocent women and children. Does he still get his 72 virgins?
Nope, he gets 36 old hoes. And a bunch of fails on ADVrider.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #84
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
I've yet to come across a micronort. They sound a bit scary. Do they eat people, or just kill for fun.
They're tiny little zombies.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #85
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
I suggest that the OP should quick worrying so much about riding and start worrying a little more about ass cancer.
Wrong. Everybody has an ass hole but not many ride motorcycles.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #86
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

That is a good question. I just don't know. But then I also believe that he would have gotten 72 raisins instead in the first place, but what do I know.

Kind of like that case: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...9/toy-yoda.htm
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
In the USA:
Around 4000 people died from motorcycle accidents.

MORE THAN 50,000 PEOPLE DIED FROM COLON RECTAL CANCER.
MORE THAN 39,000 PEOPLE DIED FROM BREAST CANCER.
MORE THAN 36,000 PEOPLE DIED FROM THE FLU.
MORE THAN 32,000 PEOPLE DIED IN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENTS.
53 PEOPLE DIED FROM BEE STINGS.
38 PEOPLE DIED FROM LIGHTNING STRIKES.
4 IDIOTS DIED FROM DOING STUPID SHIT WITH FIREWORKS.

I suggest that the OP should quick worrying so much about riding and start worrying a little more about ass cancer.
100% of americans have a digestive system.
~51% of Americans have breast (well...developed I mean...and then you must factor the age)
How many % are riders?

Data (or lack of), context, interpretation...

One can choose to factor in or out this or that and manipulates numbers to reflect a point of view. Not always on purpose but if you did, chances that someone writing a book (maybe with an agenda) did the same are high.

Stats are fun and can be useful if understood, I'm with Glassewave on this, but we have to take all that with a pinch of salt. Especially witout all the data at our disposal.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #88
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Wink Double the danger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
and what if you're fighting in Afghanistan on a motorcycle?

Double Danger?

Soldiers test motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles at NIE 13.1

Quote:
Pfc. Joshua Doster, a tanker with 1-6 Infantry, who is one of the soldiers testing the motor vehicles, said he feels the motorcycles and ATVs will increase the range of tasks soldiers can perform in the area of scouting missions and area reconnaissance.
"Just being a smaller vehicle [it is] able to move under cover without the noise and the profile of a lot of these larger vehicles that weve been using," said Doster.
Branch said the integrated base defense system is in Afghanistan but its not integrated with motorcycles and ATVs.
"The work that were doing here at the NIE is allowing for us to aid the soldiers that are in Afghanistan," said Branch.
He added, "This is allowing us to establish a baseline for our tactics, techniques and standard operating procedures for how we employ these systems in a testing environment such as this one so that we can forward it to soldiers that are in Afghanistan and allow them to be successful in their operations."
Someone needs to tell Pfc. Joshua Doster that those sort of "operating procedures" may just be doubling the danger to personnel.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #89
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Double Danger?

Soldiers test motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles at NIE 13.1

Someone needs to tell Pfc. Joshua Doster that those sort of "operating procedures" may just be doubling the danger to personnel.
Do they know that loud pipes save lives?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #90
bonham123
n00b

Oddometer: 1
In combat you have to fight for freedom, on a motorcycle you enjoy it.
bonham123 is offline   Reply With Quote