ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #4111
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
You are right. Nothing like the mountain passes into and out of Switzerland. Did the Furka Pass with the wife on the back of a Harley. Scariest ride of our lives. On the cliff side, no guard rails, just those little concrete posts every few hundred yards. And the buses would come around the corner, leaving no room! And the cows grazing on the hills, with two legs longer then the others so they could stand straight!
Did that Pass in on an African Twin back in 05 in a total White Out condition. Couldnt see 15ft in front of you. Lucky for me we were staying in Verbania and the locals I was riding with knew the road like the back of their hand and were able to get me up and down the mountain with just a bit of damage to my nerves!! We never went back up that way
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #4112
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
MoBill,

You do such nice work setting up a motorcycle that perhaps I should put you in charge of my newest project. I found the poor thing hiding away in CT and I just had to go rescue it. No, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Congrats Loph917
Good Luck with it! & THANKS!
Now I won't look soo crazy when I buy a second Hyper
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #4113
GearedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
No, excessive is owning 2 950's and a 990.
GearedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #4114
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
Did that Pass in on an African Twin back in 05 in a total White Out condition. Couldnt see 15ft in front of you....
Still remember how scared I was on that road. Couldn't tell, though from this picture. Didn't want the wife to know!

By the way, it looks like the shot was from the exact spot as Jerry's! What a small world!

And while we are on travel photos from the past, Jerry, what about this valley shot?

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I just shot the actual photos (which were done on film) with my I-phone...

docgonzo screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 01:12 PM
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #4115
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,518
i consider the SE just about a collectors item (foolishly maybe) now. its hands down the best bike i've ridden to date; not that i have a lot of time on a lot of bikes but for me it's just about the perfect bike. just need to belly up for a bigger gas tank - otherwise it's go just about anywhere do almost anything motorcycle (not necessarily with me piloting will it get everywhere but i'm learning).

i've been saying i wanted a second one to mothball for a while now - and the time was right to do it. i'm not looking forward to the expense of setting it up properly - but i also don't need to be in a hurry. my first one is running like a scalded cat.

and this one is shorter than SE #1. there's a chance the girl could fit on it. i'm not sure i'm totally convinced its a good idea but daaaamn that'd be awesome to see her up on an SE. speaking of the girl, i also may have unleashed a monster - she's going on a dual sport in hawaii friday - riding a kdx 200-something. she just might come back and demand a proper dirt bike.

i have't ruled out an 1190R (if they bring it to the US) - it would be the perfect wpbarlow "mixed surface ride" motorcycle as well as some of the more "sedate" trips i take. plenty capable when the asphalt turns gnarly or downright disappears but still an outstanding long distance traveler.

so i just might reach that "two 950s and one 1190" milestone yet. can one have too many motorcycles? if so, i haven't learned that lesson yet (if there's a lesson to learn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
Congrats Loph917
Good Luck with it! & THANKS!
Now I won't look soo crazy when I buy a second Hyper
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearedUp View Post
No, excessive is owning 2 950's and a 990.

loph917 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:34 PM
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #4116
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,448
Loph..if you want help in the setup of either one, I'm game. I need the karma man. Bring it.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #4117
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
can one have too many motorcycles?
Really? I can't believe you could even ask such a question!

Quote:
I need the karma man. Bring it.
I think you're still good!
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #4118
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Quote:
i consider the SE just about a collectors item (foolishly maybe) now. its hands down the best bike i've ridden to date; not that i have a lot of time on a lot of bikes but for me it's just about the perfect bike. just need to belly up for a bigger gas tank....
It is definitely one of the best big trailies ever designed. Took the Transalp concept to the next level.

As far as extra gas, and a poor man's solution to the two into one, just gut both stock cannisters, cut the pipe and swing it onto the other, and convert the left hand cannister into an auxiliary gas tank. Gives you and extra 1.5 gallons of gas. Much nicer looking then a Safari tank, and the gutted exhaust sounds just about right, while still maintaining the bullet-proof toughness of the stock cannister....

Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #4119
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
It is definitely one of the best big trailies ever designed. Took the Transalp concept to the next level.

As far as extra gas, and a poor man's solution to the two into one, just gut both stock cannisters, cut the pipe and swing it onto the other, and convert the left hand cannister into an auxiliary gas tank. Gives you and extra 1.5 gallons of gas. Much nicer looking then a Safari tank, and the gutted exhaust sounds just about right, while still maintaining the bullet-proof toughness of the stock cannister....

Interesting invention. Nicely done.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #4120
scareraven
Ninja Freak

Oddometer: 627
Part PSA, Part Rage dump that we have all wished we could do.
Oh yeah, and metal!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #4121
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
Life's been busy but life has been great! New England ride with my lady...thanks for the recommendation Fyrfytr!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #4122
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Life's been busy but life has been great! New England ride with my lady...thanks for the recommendation Fyrfytr!
I really can't take the credit. Yellow Iron suggested it to me when I was up there last year. Hope you're having a good time and the weather is cooperating.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #4123
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

96,000 mile service...

Today, had to do the 96,000 mile service on the Big Yellow Pig...

The service was to put 3/4 of a quart of cheap oil in the tractor:

No chain to oil. No sprockets to change. No antifreeze or water pumps to worry about. No fly-by-wire electronics to screw up. Valves have been stretched to their maximum and don't change now..... Nice!!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #4124
scareraven
Ninja Freak

Oddometer: 627
Had a nice little road trip today!

Terrible to get to (INSIDE the navy yard)
Small place, but packed with kit and people who not only ride, but know their shit
They helped wife pick out some riding pants, even offered to strip the mannequin as she is apparently mannequin sized. They all got a kick out of the fact that We not only had them on our wedding registry, but that wife snatched that gift certificate for herself!
Worth the trip if you are not sure of sizes and how different companies gear fits. Wife fits lovely in dianese while alpinestars seems tailor made when in the proper husky size for my fat ass.
Trip could only have been improved by the absence of the migraine that stopped my ability to read for a while. Next time.....
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #4125
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Happy Belated 4th of July from the Coors Light Girls