ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #8701
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
routes great on Basecamp, not on device

I can't seem to figure out why routes, when they transfer from Basecamp to my 600, end up going point to point versus via the roads shown on Basecamp?
I have City Navigator maps on the device. What am I missing?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #8702
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
Since I updated to firmware 5.10 I often lose the satellite signal, or at least the Montana tells me so, and the only way to get the signal back is to turn it off and on again.
If I turn it off and on while on bikepower the signal immediately returns so I kind of suspect its actually just a software glitch and not a real "signal lost", it can happen anywhere, even out in the open.
Did you do a master reset after the update? Seems many who do that will clear this issue up. Don't know why it's not recommended after updating.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #8703
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
I can't seem to figure out why routes, when they transfer from Basecamp to my 600, end up going point to point versus via the roads shown on Basecamp?
My routes do the same thing but if you give it a little time the Montana will create the route. So two questions: what routing preference is your Montana set on and how much time are you giving the unit once you access the route? It doesn't take long but it gave me the WTF moment
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #8704
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
Since I updated to firmware 5.10 I often lose the satellite signal, or at least the Montana tells me so, and the only way to get the signal back is to turn it off and on again.
If I turn it off and on while on bikepower the signal immediately returns so I kind of suspect its actually just a software glitch and not a real "signal lost", it can happen anywhere, even out in the open.
Change the Map Speed to Normal to avoid this bug until such time garmin sees fit to resolve it.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #8705
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Change the Map Speed to Normal to avoid this bug until such time garmin sees fit to resolve it.
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #8706
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
My routes do the same thing but if you give it a little time the Montana will create the route. So two questions: what routing preference is your Montana set on and how much time are you giving the unit once you access the route? It doesn't take long but it gave me the WTF moment
AAAaahhh- WTF indeed- Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #8707
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,683
OK, my turn. Been watching this thread for a long time and I thought I would have copied and pasted this part.

Installed CNNA and got lifetime update all on MAC hard drive. Only a short call to tech support to get over a software glitch with Map Installer. Many hours later - success. Yay.

Problem now is I installed Southwest 24k from DVD onto the MAC and could not for the life of me get it installed on the SD card. Called tech guy and followed the steps to highlight the area and got it going but many hours later after looking like it would all work it didn't. Gave me an error message about the Montana unit not being turned on or plugged in. It is plugged in and showing the GARMIN screen with the USB icon.

What did I miss on this install? Almost there and ready to cut the cord on the 478 and mount this GPS up for good.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #8708
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
OK, my turn. Been watching this thread for a long time and I thought I would have copied and pasted this part.

Installed CNNA and got lifetime update all on MAC hard drive. Only a short call to tech support to get over a software glitch with Map Installer. Many hours later - success. Yay.

Problem now is I installed Southwest 24k from DVD onto the MAC and could not for the life of me get it installed on the SD card. Called tech guy and followed the steps to highlight the area and got it going but many hours later after looking like it would all work it didn't. Gave me an error message about the Montana unit not being turned on or plugged in. It is plugged in and showing the GARMIN screen with the USB icon.

What did I miss on this install? Almost there and ready to cut the cord on the 478 and mount this GPS up for good.
Sounds like your Mac went to sleep during the install.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #8709
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,683
I have the MAC set to never sleep but the display to sleep after an hour. I think the last time I checked it was about the 2 hour mark and it was still going strong on the install at that time. Good call though but must be something else.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #8710
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I have the MAC set to never sleep but the display to sleep after an hour. I think the last time I checked it was about the 2 hour mark and it was still going strong on the install at that time. Good call though but must be something else.

I suppose I would just try again...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #8711
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
I had this problem a few months ago as well. I was told to make sure your "Preferences"...(ie: Motorcycling) matched on both the unit and basecamp. So if your set a route in basecamp say as automobile and you are using dirtbike on the montana..You will get airplane mode lines. Check that, it worked great for me since.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #8712
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I had an interesting issue pop up on my 600. I used the Garmin provided screen protector, and didn't quite get the lower left corner seated well. With the extreme heat we've been having lately, the unit would read a touch on the X when navigating and drop me from the map screen back to the main screen. I will be changing the protector, but I just now fired it up to check the FW version, and it won't respond at all...
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8713
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
I had an interesting issue pop up on my 600. I used the Garmin provided screen protector, and didn't quite get the lower left corner seated well. With the extreme heat we've been having lately, the unit would read a touch on the X when navigating and drop me from the map screen back to the main screen. I will be changing the protector, but I just now fired it up to check the FW version, and it won't respond at all...
Is the screen protector off now?

Have you tried a Master Reset ?

There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:

Not receiving a satellite signal
Restoring the factory default settings
Not functioning properly
Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ “How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ “Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?”.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
The Montana is now reset and ready for use.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #8714
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
I don't know if you have read this thread, but in case you didn't know about this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=17
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=18
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #8715
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Check this out, Android OS Garmin: New Garmin Monterra

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote