Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #46
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk3an View Post

So plan B is taking shape for 2014 or 2015....the next run will be with a single, front mounted fuel tank with 13-14 gallons. I'm going to have to pull some tricks out of my hat to make such a tank look at least somewhat stock and keep the bike ridable.

Thanks, Dan
Looks like you'll be in the market for a KTM 950/990 with the 10.5 gal. Safari tank and 2.2 gal. CJ designs rear tank for your next trip.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #47
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
Looks like you'll be in the market for a KTM 950/990 with the 10.5 gal. Safari tank and 2.2 gal. CJ designs rear tank for your next trip.
Just ride around with the Safari tanks full of ethanol gas in hot weather, I managed to one get 13.3 US Gallons in the tanks. Of course they were completely impossible to remove from the bike.

Seriously, if you are going to build a cell why would, you not look at building a version of the Tanji flat bed cell?
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #48
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Quote:
It was my own inexperience at high-speed in the dirt that led me to believe my rear-mounted fuel cell would pose no problem, but in reality I was fighting a near-continuous front-end wobble almost the whole time in the dirt, and to a lesser extent on blacktop if I hit any irregularity in the pavement. Aside from that, I couldn't let the bike slide gently through corners in the dirt because the rear end was just too planted on the road.

And on the blacktop the bike was just far too rear-end heavy. I was using Hyperpro shocks adjusted to MAX preload and several times I felt both footpegs hit the road at the same time due to bottoming out. Again not the bike per-se, but the placement of the fuel I feel was a contributor to that.
Perhaps the problem was a combination of the lack of a steering stabilizer, not having your suspension optimized for the ride and far too much weight on the bike. There are a lot of bikes riding the IBR this week with a similar set -up to yours, and Dick Fish did all his big rides on a stock 1150 GS( that had been totalled in a fatal wreck with a Jazz fuel cell, custom sized (very narrow) Happy trails panniers, steering stabilizer and perfectly set up suspension

Scotts now makes a complete stabilizer set-up for the 1200 GS & GSA
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #49
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Hi Jim,

Minor damage to the bike, and none to me. Had I not been 12-13% ahead on time at that point, I'd probably not have decided to do this again.

My comment on the GS was in reference only to the stock plastic fuel tank for this one very specific ride. It was my own inexperience at high-speed in the dirt that led me to believe my rear-mounted fuel cell would pose no problem, but in reality I was fighting a near-continuous front-end wobble almost the whole time in the dirt, and to a lesser extent on blacktop if I hit any irregularity in the pavement. Aside from that, I couldn't let the bike slide gently through corners in the dirt because the rear end was just too planted on the road.

And on the blacktop the bike was just far too rear-end heavy. I was using Hyperpro shocks adjusted to MAX preload and several times I felt both foot pegs hit the road at the same time due to bottoming out. Again not the bike per-se, but the placement of the fuel I feel was a contributor to that.

So plan B is taking shape for 2014 or 2015....the next run will be with a single, front mounted fuel tank with 13-14 gallons. I'm going to have to pull some tricks out of my hat to make such a tank look at least somewhat stock and keep the bike ridable.

Thanks, Dan
Dan, et al,
Sorry your first attempt at John's record ended prematurely.
I was living in FL at the time John did his record breaking UCC ride so made time to ride out to meet him as he was pulling into Key West.
John told me that he'd had two failed starts, once because he crashed on the Haul Road, and the second time due to a rock smashing a hole in the sump of his FJR. He had some locals in AK build him a custom sump guard.

It's interesting to read that you felt both your pegs touch the road a few times, on a GSA, John was carrying a comparable amount of gas on an FJR, albeit in that "super" custom tank of his.

From memory I believe you both lucked out with the weather conditions on the Haul Road, but of course a road bike like the FJR could never compete off road with a purpose built ADV bike like the GSA, despite John's great skills. I suspect that most other riders would not have been able to come anywhere near John's time on the Haul Road on a fully loaded road bike...

Best of luck on your next attempt, looking forward to the ride report.

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221

JamesK screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 01:43 AM
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #50
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,206
That gas tank!!

I always thought the tank on my FJR was a little small but thats just ridiculous!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #51
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
This gas tank certainly is not going to win any beauty contests but it sure was functional. John also told me that given his height the tank (with the tangbag on it) was the perfect height to let him rest the chin of his helmet on it...

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #52
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

And for those that are not aware of my friend John Ryan was killed last October 13th on his motorcycle.

John's UCC ride record was bettered by Will Barclay, riding a Harley Davidson, set the new record for the Ultimate Coast to Coast in 80 hours, 2 minutes.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #53
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
And for those that are not aware of my friend John Ryan was killed last October 13th on his motorcycle.

John's UCC ride record was bettered by Will Barclay, riding a Harley Davidson, set the new record for the Ultimate Coast to Coast in 80 hours, 2 minutes.
Here's the ADV thread about his death:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926921

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote