Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #61
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Wanted to add one more thing. After my last lane departure incident, I wrote to James Davis (who runs msgroup.org) and asked for advice. He replied quickly with a detailed response but one line really stuck with me: "Never ride at 100% of your ability or you will have no more to give should something unexpected occur".

How remarkably true and well-put is that? I think about it several times on every ride. Approaching a curve I have taken dozens of times before, I know I can take it comfortably at 20mph above the speed limit but yet I stick with the speed limit or barely above, to give my skill some wiggle room (pun not intended) should the unexpected happen. Same goes for straight line riding; always leave room for correction.
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #62
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 782
I stopped caring about going fast (on public roads) when a friend of mine had his need for speed wind up being the catalyst for his death. Left an impression on the (then) 16 year old me.

I appreciate speed when the time and place are appropriate. Since I'm rarely in places where that stipulation applies, I keep things reasonable.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #63
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 162
On city streets, the sun can create such flat light near dawn or dusk that pavement markings and tar snakes blend together. Lanes are gone, rumble bumps are invisible; it all becomes a big sheet of gold. First time I came around a corner and saw that, I lost all interest in velocity or twisty curves. Every now and then the itch comes up for speed. On certain roads I can scratch that itch, but the need is rare. Other than those rare occasions, even on the freeway, I keep to no more than 5 over. It's a public street, not a track, and conditions change block to block.

When I graduate to a different bike, and I know I will at some point, my feelings won't change. I prefer my skin where it is, and track days exist for a reason.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #64
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Every once in a while LEO reminds me to slow down in order to grow up...

Money, and licence aside, just starting to enjoy riding at legal limits...

Guess its old age, or the fact the GS tops out at 125.

Without tunnel vision, speed some how lost its thrill.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #65
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Apparently, many here have the confusing viewpoint that going fast and riding twisties are mutually exclusive. It's apparent that these folks are doing it wrong.
I can have fun going at or a little above the speed limit on most twisties, especially if it's a rural road, and the limit doesn't go down for the squiggly bits. Going 'fast' for me implies trying to do triple digits in a straight line.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #66
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
I'm in the camp of not understanding the mutual exclusivity here. I like to use a "spirited" pace in the curvy sections (dependent on environmental conditions), and then mind the speed limits on the straight sections.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #67
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpete View Post
Every once in a while LEO reminds me to slow down in order to grow up...

Money, and licence aside, just starting to enjoy riding at legal limits...

Guess its old age, or the fact the GS tops out at 125.

Without tunnel vision, speed some how lost its thrill.
I know the feeling. I even had a court order to sell my 954RR due to speeding. The mindset changed for me when I realized it was far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Supermotos and dual sports make everything, even slow speed stuff, so much more fun compared to riding a sport bike. On the track that's one thing but sport bikes are just too capable to be legally fun to ride on the street.

As for illegal fun on sport bikes, there's really nothing else quite like burning down the freeway doing 130-150mph on the 280 south and heading to Alice's for an early breakfast before hitting the canyons for some knee down turns and evading LEOs. Too dangerous after several years of that... everyone has to grow up I guess.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #68
Squarehead
Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
I'm in the camp of not understanding the mutual exclusivity here. I like to use a "spirited" pace in the curvy sections (dependent on environmental conditions), and then mind the speed limits on the straight sections.

What he said....

2004 R1150RS, anybody wanna trade for a 1150GS ???
Squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #69
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I normally go at least 10 over everywhere. Twisty roads I gauge by the speed limit. Generally I approach 3 times what's posted when possible. Backing down on straights allows slower accomplices to catch up. That and the donut boys usually shoot radar on the straights.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #70
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
There was never a realization. I have just never cared.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #71
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
I know the feeling. I even had a court order to sell my 954RR due to speeding.
LOL, I've had over 120 moving violations in my time, and I've never had a court order to do anything other then pay the fines.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #72
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
It's funny that there seem to be two camps evolving here -- corner carvers or speed demons. So let me be the first to say that I like both! But from my experience it takes more skill to carve corners at speed than to just "go fast". I can only do the latter once in a while before getting bored but the former is enjoyable all day long.

Kent
well put. canyons and corners in general are where it's at for skill and challenge. no chicken strips are the best chicken strips.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #73
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
LOL, I've had over 120 moving violations in my time, and I've never had a court order to do anything other then pay the fines.
I guess it depends how fast those moving violations are. I preferred to outrun the cops all the time, which worked great until I got lazy and slowed down. When you get a couple of CHP cars chasing you at 135mph they don't tend to be too happy when they finally get you off the bike. I should have been arrested that time, not sure why I wasn't. Fine was pretty big. I didn't have to sell the 954 but the condition was either "lose license" or "lose bike", so I lost the bike and got another after the probationary period was over.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #74
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I normally go at least 10 over everywhere. Twisty roads I gauge by the speed limit. Generally I approach 3 times what's posted when possible. Backing down on straights allows slower accomplices to catch up. That and the donut boys usually shoot radar on the straights.
So your saying you'll do 105 mph in a 35 mph zone? 135 mph in a 45 mph zone?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #75
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
So taking a posted 30 mph curve @ 90.

Tires last longer AND HE GETS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE.

Must be the synthetic oil.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.

Sorry to feed the troll.