Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Holosuu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Front Break Noise after changing new pads

Hi Guys,
This is my first official post here. I have been reading so many great stories and helpful tips here over the last few years.

Now, I'm in need of your help/advise...
I have KTM Adventure 990 2010...Her name is Margaret. I changed new front and rear Galfer "Green" break pads on Saturday. Everything went well and I thought that it was actually pretty simple even though you need to hammer to get the large pin out.

After going for a short test ride I noticed that there was this noise coming from from rotor/brakes...like the break pads were too tight and touching the rotors...

There was no mention about the in KTM Manufactures Service Manual so I was wondering if this is typical since the pads were new or do I have to adjust the breaks somehow to remove the noise.

Thank you beforehand for your advise!

Cheers,
Teemu
Holosuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 442
You notice this brake noise when underway or with engine off and just rolling in neutral? If it's the latter, that's normal - regardless of pad brand.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,147
if it's not just normal drag, make sure you axle is fully seated. If not, it causes the calipers to rub on the discs. Er, so I'm told
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,320
I had brake drag after changing the front pads, but had no noise.

I found that some grit had clung to the pistons, and was hanging up on the seals, keeping the pads pressed against the disks.

I removed the wheel, and put spacers between the pistons to keep them from coming all the way out, then used the master cylinder to jack the pistons out farther than they had been with the old pads. After using a plastic brush to re-clean the pistone, I reinstalled the new pads, and had no more problem.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Holosuu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank you for the all replies. I need to go back to my garage to check out assess the situation. I noticed the dragging of the brake pads against the rotors after taking her out for spin after changing the pads. I don't think it is the axel as I didn't remove the front wheel. I might have to try to clean the pistons as you suggested Mortimer. I will let you guys know how this will all turn out.

Once again...I really appreciate all replies.

Cheers,
Teemu
Holosuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Hard to say for sure. Note that the calipers on the bike "float" on pins. After a few years, the pins need to be greased. That may or may not be your issue.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote