Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #13006
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
No, I thought your wife talked about me. Not us talking about why someone would want a 3 wheeled 4 wheeler Can AM Spyder wannabe...

Or do you just mean y'all discussing why I'm an ass?
Yes.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #13007
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Do I need a reasion other then the shear stupidity of it? Once I have the Raptor fixed you Sir must ride it. Then you will understand the stupid grin factor it has. No one has ever road it and not got off been grinning like a kid getting a new puppy.
I totally understand that the Raptor is a Smile Factory of a machine... Which makes me question why someone would mess it up... May just be my limited supply of oil and grease in my veins. I may not be gearheaded enough to understand. But that is just me. Carry on by all means! I'll take pictures!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #13008
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Actully if its done right its a 30 minut job to swap it back from a reverse trike to a quad. It would be as simple as pulling one shock bolt and the swing arm bolt, slideing the trike swingarm out and roleing the quad swingarm back under it. Swap the front tires and it would be ready to go.

Here's the real reasion I'm even thinking about this. I like the Can-Am Spyder but it is to pricy and it will not do dirt roads very well. Also to make the raptor a trike all I have to do is build a swingarm. Or find one that will bolt up. A few here have seen it tore down. It truly looks like a super bike frame with A-arms atached. I thought about builting a revers trike from a bike but that's a lot of fab work. And ill have th buy a bike. I have the Raptor and any fab work I do can simply be unbolted and swaped out with the stock parts.

Yeah I spend way to much time bored and thinking about building dumb things. But I bet if I build it and ride it to a rally most of y'all will want a turn on it..

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #13009
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
I want to go check this place out one day. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a bike around the gate.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-swamp?image=0
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #13010
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 624
I'm in... Definitely have to squeeze our bikes around... I'm not a 20 mile hike kinda guy.
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #13011
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,598

This is why I came to VA. Celebrating the Fourth with Supawifes family.

In this pic is a WWII vet, a Vietnam vet and a colonel in the U.S. Army who has served in Afghanistan and Iraq. I am grateful to these men and thankful for protecting my independence and proud to be a part of this family. Happy Fourth of July!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #13012
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post

This is why I came to VA. Celebrating the Fourth with Supawifes family.

In this pic is a WWII vet, a Vietnam vet and a colonel in the U.S. Army who has served in Afghanistan and Iraq. I am grateful to these men and thankful for protecting my independence and proud to be a part of this family. Happy Fourth of July!

Happy 4th
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #13013
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,270
+1
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #13014
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
+2

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #13015
Cliff-77
Lost Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Awesome Sup,have a gd 1,I talked to my Navy son today,he's n the Persian Gulf till Sept.,b safe.
IBA#54495 Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,and your government when it deserves it.Mark Twain.
Cliff-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #13016
Supahflid
Wheelieless

I will be praying for your son Cliff! I hope I get the chance to thank him one day.

And thank you Knightwork for your service!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #13017
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

It's the only job that I ever enjoyed totally --the wierd thing is you get to leave various parts of you in different places

Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #13018
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwork View Post
It's the only job that I ever enjoyed totally --the wierd thing is you get to leave various parts of you in different places

Yeah, you are like a Timex!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #13019
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Yeah, you are like a Timex!
Gonna catch up to me one day --I'll be on the bike and just fade away-----

NOW THAT'S THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

But that's OK --I heard that they have fresh Community Coffee brewed where I hope to go ---

stirred with a bourbon pitchfork

Knightwork screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 05:17 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #13020
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Holy shenanigans Batman

Yesterday around 1:30 Thunderhart (William) gave me call and we made arrangements to meet at my house at 3:00 to go for an afternoon ride. Now, the thing you have to understand about Thunderhart is that he operates on what I like to refer to as William time. Now the ratio of William time to actual time varies depending on the phase of the moon, but, it usually works out to be around 30 minutes to an hour later than actual time. So, it was no great surprise that he still hadn't shown up when 3:30 rolled around. I gave him a call to get an updated ETA and he said he'd be here in 30 minutes. At this point I decided that I'd run up to Mac's Gas to get fuel while I waited. When I tried to start my bike it started for half a second, backfired, and then nothing. The motor would turn over and had compression but would not start. I knew it was nearly out of gas when I parked because I had switched to reserve about 35 miles from home on Saturday's ride. I knew it was a long shot, but, I poured 2 gallons in the tank from a jerry can but still couldn't get it to crank. At this point I knew it had fuel and compression so I decided to check the spark plug. Now the only easy way to get the spark plug out of my bike is to remove the fuel tank. So, I texted Thunderhart to let him know my bike wouldn't crank and not to hurry and proceeded to remove the side panels, seat and tank. Thunderhart showed up about the time I got the spark plug out. I was able to confirm that the bike did indeed have spark, fuel/air, and compression. At this point I was thoroughly confused, I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. I'll admit my mechanical skill aren't the greatest in the world but fuel/air + compression + spark should = vroom. I decided that maybe the valves had gotten out of whack so I did a valve adjustment... 3 times. No dice. I put a new plug in. Nada. Now during all this I kept trying and trying to crank it with the electric start (no kick start on XR650L) and the battery died. So I hooked up the battery charger and kept tinkering. Finally at my wits end I resorted to the technical tap method (for those that don't know what that is it involves hitting a malfunctioning piece of equipment in an attempt to jar it back into working order). It was at this point that I noticed that the carburetor had come loose from the intake manifold (probably during that initial backfire) and there was a microscopic gap between the two. I reattached the carb and the bike fired right up! I let it run for a minute and shut it off, at which point Thunderhart reaches up, grabs the exhaust pipe and shouts an expletive. I asked him if he really just did what I thought he did and he said, "Yes, I wanted to check if it was hot... It is." I said, "Well, no one has ever accused you of being a genius." The funny thing about karma, though, is it has a way of coming back around. Having forgot to unplug the battery charger, I reached up to disconnect it, and managed to give myself a nice little shock. We got the bike put back together around 5:30 and went for our ride. It turned out to be a good one and we found some really nice double and single track not far from the house. We plan on going back Wednesday morning if anyone wants to join us.

babarnette screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:51 AM
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote