Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #331
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Also, pain isn't the issue, all motorcycle racers can deal with pain. The problem is strength. At Mugello, Spies said it was plain dangerous for him to ride, as he couldn't control the bike in the fast changes of direction. He didn't have the necessary strength in his shoulder. That would have endangered himself and other riders on the track. Spies may be many things, but he's no pussy.

If anyone remembers back to Daytona when he went down on the banking and removed like a 1/4 of his ass, and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2007..._all_grown_up/
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #332
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
If anyone remembers back to Daytona when he went down on the banking and removed like a 1/4 of his ass, and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2007..._all_grown_up/
I bring that up when people say Spies hasn't paid his dues. Also, remember when he raced tore his stitches racing the Yosh Superbike at Mid-Ohio immediately after an appendectomy. Spies is plenty tough.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #333
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
that's what separates the great ones from the rest of us. I think it comes down to desire and it's ability to override every other emotion.
It is the difference between being paid millions to do something and being a weekend warrior who goes into debt paying his own way.

How many chances are you going to get to fight for a World Championship? Better to make the most of it if you can.

Regarding Dani; I see him finishing fourth when that is the best finish he can get as the sign that he truly is WC material (not that it was ever in doubt for me).

I don't hope or will any particular rider to win. I am more interested to see how it plays out. We are witnessing a great season.

The last few seasons were great too. Too many people hated to see Stoner as part of it and Rossi neutralized. Too bad for them.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #334
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

Regarding Dani; I see him finishing fourth when that is the best finish he can get as the sign that he truly is WC material (not that it was ever in doubt for me).

I don't hope or will any particular rider to win. I am more interested to see how it plays out. We are witnessing a great season.

The last few seasons were great too. Too many people hated to see Stoner as part of it and Rossi neutralized. Too bad for them.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #335
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,153
Quote:
It is the difference between being paid millions to do something and being a weekend warrior who goes into debt paying his own way.

How many chances are you going to get to fight for a World Championship? Better to make the most of it if you can.

I'm not sure how much money is the motivator vs the chance to show that you're the best. If you're the best at something there's a chance that money will follow. No matter how much money you pay some one it won't make them the best.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #336
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I'm not sure how much money is the motivator vs the chance to show that you're the best. If you're the best at something there's a chance that money will follow. No matter how much money you pay some one it won't make them the best.
I am saying it is the difference in why our wounded warriors are healing up on the couch and not going out racing and risking further injury.

Whether it means the shot at more World Champion trophies or millions in bonuses or to add to your legacy as a great champion; I don't think any of us posting in this thread are in that unique and enviable position.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #337
mike54
You don't get me

Quote:
I am saying it is the difference in why our wounded warriors are healing up on the couch and not going out racing and risking further injury.

Whether it means the shot at more World Champion trophies or millions in bonuses or to add to your legacy as a great champion; I don't think any of us posting in this thread are in that unique and enviable position.
Your example is pretty messed up and insulting but I don't think you meant it that way.

No I'm not a world champion at anything but I do know that the pride and recognition I get from doing my best at my job is more important than any monetary compensation I could get. Not saying I'd work for free but then again, there are GP racers that do.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #338
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Your example is pretty messed up and insulting but I don't think you meant it that way.

No I'm not a world champion at anything but I do know that the pride and recognition I get from doing my best at my job is more important than any monetary compensation I could get. Not saying I'd work for free but then again, there are GP racers that do.
That's exactly what I am saying; if you are good at your job and it is a competitive and rewarding job, you are going to do what ever you can to get back to it ASAP.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #339
mike54
You don't get me

Quote:
That's exactly what I am saying; if you are good at your job and it is a competitive and rewarding job, you are going to do what ever you can to get back to it ASAP.
My mistake then. I thought you were saying that it was because JLo made millions.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #340
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
It's disappointing Spies won't be healed in time for Laguna Seca.

I'm really looking forward to Spies return. His greatness is masked behind a wall of misfortune. When that wall comes down, watch out. He's hungry!

Perhaps a podium this season is a dream too far, but wouldn't that be something to cheer about!
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #341
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
It's disappointing Spies won't be healed in time for Laguna Seca.

I'm really looking forward to Spies return. His greatness is masked behind a wall of misfortune. When that wall comes down, watch out. He's hungry!

Perhaps a podium this season is a dream too far, but wouldn't that be something to cheer about!
That would be amazing...but even if he gets past his previous bad luck, he isnt riding the most competative bike. Get past that....well, just look at Dovi and Nicky.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #342
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
Spies? podium?? you better call Bautista and tell him to get busy taking people out! I've always been a spies fan, but I think his time in motogp is done. if he couldn't do it on the factory Yamaha, he's not going to do it. yes, he had some bad luck, but in between the bad luck, he also had lackluster performances. he seemed to do better on the tech 3 bike, which makes me wonder, would crutchlow be better on the factory bike? or better staying where he's at??
I don't think Lorenzo needs the money, pretty sure he's already financially set for a good long time, like I said, desire to be the best, and the fact he doesn't have to report to work at 7am Monday morning and pound nails!
I agree, it's a great season so far, hope it continues!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #343
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Spies has no real set up right now for the bike. The bike itself is junk. He has done very well at Indy every year so maybe he will do ok.

Maybe one of his team mates will give him set up data.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #344
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Stoner said he liked good racing? He should have stuck around.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #345
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
A realistic goal might be beating Pol and/or getting into QP 2 occasionally.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote