ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many significant crashes on the road have you been involved in as a motorcyclist?
None at all 39 27.46%
None significant 23 16.20%
One 50 35.21%
A couple 14 9.86%
Three or four 13 9.15%
5 to 10 2 1.41%
11 to 20 1 0.70%
I recall more than 20 0 0%
Way more than I care to remember 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
Two for me

#1 Lady comes over the center line and hits me head on. Both of us doing about 45-50 mph. Not much time to react. I was just reaching for clutch and brakes and standing up and boom! Human lawn dart...a brief moment of silence as I sailed through the darkness.. and lights out. I ground a hole completely through my helmet.

#2 Riding along in the right lane of a divided hwy. Lady pulls into the median to make a left turn and cross the road. She stops...waits....then pulls directly out in front of me. I cut for the left lane to try and miss her. I left approx 3 ft. of skid mark and hit her behind the rear tire. Traveling about 45-50, I hit the car hard enough to spin it around 180 deg and put it into the ditch. Once again, human lawn dart. Land on my head and go skidding down the road. Faak, I hate that!

I walked away from both of these potentially fatal accidents. Not a scratch on me. Here's why I think that is.
Fate, when it's your time, your gone. Gear. Boots, gloves, coat and helmet. Both helmets in these accidents were badly damaged and I was knocked unconscious for long lengths of time. Off road riding. I learned to ride on dirt bikes. I still spend over 75% of my riding time off road. This riding style has engrained the reaction to stand up when technically challenging situations arise. I dont even think about it, I just do it. In both cases, one of the last things I remember is transferring my weight from the seat to the pegs and beginning to stand up. I think this allowed my body to clear the cars as I sailed on by and thus not suffering any serious blunt force trauma.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
What constitutes as a significant crash?

I would count none because all parts of my body have (more or less) healed and are still functioning. Temporary pain, broken parts and what-if accidents do no qualify as a significant, or do they? If so, I would count more.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #18
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
I was rear ended by another motorcycle when I was turning left he decided to pass. Ripped the bars out of the triple and boogered up all sorts of other stuff. It ripped 3 of the buckles of my A* tech 3 boots.

Solo crash on a dirtbike in a desert race which ended in a compressed vertebrae, 4 bulging discs, and many fractures in my back.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
What constitutes as a significant crash?

I would count none because all parts of my body have (more or less) healed and are still functioning. Temporary pain, broken parts and what-if accidents do no qualify as a significant, or do they? If so, I would count more.
Yes, I did think someone would bring that up, and I did think of trying to define it. It would be a bit difficult to do concisely in the poll question, and pointless doing so in the opening post; I guess most people open at the last page or last post. Even if I did define it people would have their own interpretation.

In the end I thought it best to leave it as "up top you" as they say.

For me a significant crash is one that causes enough damage to require the attention of medic or mechanic. Superficial abrasions to the body or body work would be insignificant to me...... but may be significant so someone else.

I find it interesting that so many people claim to have had "none at all".

"None significant" and "one" is about where I would have expected / hoped the numbers to peak...... Nuff said for now!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Significant to me is a trip to the emergency room. Twice for me in 56 years of riding, knock on wood.
Don't count minor offs especially in the dirt.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Significant to me is a trip to the emergency room. Twice for me in 56 years of riding, knock on wood.
Don't count minor offs especially in the dirt.
In which case it would be none for me in 49 years, 45 of them licences and riding on the road.

But as I suggested it is up to you what you consider significant, on the road.

Off the road doesn't come into it. The odd tumble goes with the territory there. None have done me an injury.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
it happens
sh it happens

Oddometer: 142
Cool2

Three and hoping no more. First was in the 80's on my 74 Honda 750. Went down in a corner in the rain and walked away with no wounds. ATGATT. Second was in the mid 90's on my YZ125. To high and to fast. One broken mirror and brake lever. The human was not made to fly without some kind of flight aid. Last year breaking in some new rubber on my F650GS I got to high on the side and laid it down. One broken mirror and one broken rib. Down one good pair of Redwing boots and one good jacket. Pants lived to ride again. Shit Happens fast. ATGATT is all I can say.
it happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 296
Only one.
It was all my fault.
The short story is, Massive tank slapper and I low sided then slid 440 feet and the bike went 550. Walked away from it with very minor rash.
ATGATT
Everything I enjoy is illegal
Spending lots more time on the Husky in the dirt and liking it.
I'm taking time off the street, the cagers around here were spoiling it any way.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Saw a fellow t-bone a deer at 165 km/h years ago. Ended badly for everyone.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
One, in 70's collided with a car making U turn, not my fault. Riding . Mall these without crashing, is not because I'm the greatest rider in the world. Luck for one thing, has played its part. I don't ride in the city traffic, I avoid riding after dark, I stick to small rural roads, where traffic is thin. My mileage is limited, due to only six months riding a year, too busy skiing the other six. The risk taking also comes into it, with age, I am more cautious, that "what if" seems to ring in my ears more often now.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #27
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
Obviously it depends on how you class significant.

No trips to hospital, no written off bikes ?.

So calling that insignificant.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 326
two here, 1983 jumped off bike at about 35mph as a red light runner came through and trashed a Z500 under where I was flying through the air, bike written off and I got a scratch on left pinkie..................... 2006 was rear ended at slow speed by an SUV, I fall, bike falls on me, wife on back seat falls on bike then rolls over me and slaps bum on tarmac which broke her tailbone, I walk away with slightly bruised shoulder and hip, bike was wifes new second hand VX800 suzuki.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #29
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
For me a significant crash is one that causes enough damage to require the attention of medic or mechanic. Superficial abrasions to the body or body work would be insignificant to me...... but may be significant so
I agree. It is hard to define what is a significant crash. I have needed a mechanic when a delivery van reversed into the bike. I was 100ft away. On the other hand I have needed x-rays, doctors and physicist after falling at walking pace. Hard to classify them as crashes.. but like you said... may be significant to someone.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #30
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Significant should be-can't ride because you're in the hospital,or should be.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote